Sony Lens Question

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited January 14, 2009 in Accessories
Hello all - I am new to photography and have posted a few photos of mine on here. I am currently using a Sony DSLR A200 and I'm looking for a new lens. If possiable an all purpose lens - until I get better at taking photos. The majority of my pictures will be done outdoors until I get the lighting needed (or get creative) for indoors. And whats this I've read about renting equipment and accessories???:dunno Thanks for any help!!
Courtney

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    There are not a lot of places available for renting Sony/Minolta gear - not like Nikon and Canon at least.

Without knowing much about what you're shooting I can make a few recommendations. There really isn't such thing as an all-purpose lens unless you're buying a very high end f/2.8 lens that also happens to be good at the "easier" situations.

If you want to spend in the $300-400 range - buy the Tamron 17-50 2.8. It's a recent purchase of mine (recommended by many here) and it's amazing. Great indoors, great outdoors and the 17 is just wide enough on our crop sensors.

If you're looking to spend less, check out KEH.com. On the drop-down menu on the left choose "Minolta Auto Focus" (wait for reload) then choose either Zoom Lens, fixed focal length, or the Non-manuf. version of either of those. All the lenses under "Minolta Auto Focus" will work on your camera.

If you're looking for good zoom - go with a Minolta 70-210 (either the f/4 "beercan," which is great - or the f/3.5-4.5 which isn't quite as good but weighs much less.) You can get those for under $200, and sometimes under $100.

If you're looking for a good walk-around lens, try the Minolta 28-105 f/3.5-4.5. This has great range, great color rendition, and good overall IQ. It can be had cheap as well.

KEH rates the quality of their used lenses, but something to keep in mind is that lenses with the "BGN" (bargain) rating are super great deals and won't have anything wrong with them that affects image quality (only scrapes and scuffs on the lens body itself).

Finally, you need to get a 50mm f/1.7. Cheap, old minolta lens that is fabulous!

For about $400 you can either get the Tamron 17-50 or all three of the other lenses (except the beercan).

Hope that helps.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Without knowing much about what you're shooting I can make a few recommendations. There really isn't such thing as an all-purpose lens unless you're buying a very high end f/2.8 lens that also happens to be good at the "easier" situations.

If you want to spend in the $300-400 range - buy the Tamron 17-50 2.8. It's a recent purchase of mine (recommended by many here) and it's amazing. Great indoors, great outdoors and the 17 is just wide enough on our crop sensors.

I agree. The Tamron is an excellent option. I would also look at the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 or the Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5.
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    wow that really helps!! I will begin my search now.
    Thank you!!!!:D
    Courtney
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I agree. The Tamron is an excellent option. I would also look at the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 or the Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5.

As a Konica Minolta user I will ahve to agree with Mr. Swinton on this..... Ebay has been good to me for my Sigma 70-210 f2.8(used) and I got my 24-70 f2.8 from CAmeta Camera's ebay store (new)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website