Options

Plain hood for 70-200 f/2.8

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited January 15, 2009 in Accessories
I have got the Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens. it came with a tulip style hood. I was wondering if there is a compatible plain hood that i could use on it?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited January 14, 2009
    The Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L IS USM is a 77mm filter thread so you can add almost any hood that accepts 77mm. Some people use a collapsible rubber hood for that purpose:

http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ77.html?searchinfo=77mm%20lens%20hood&item_no=6

You can also construct your own hood:

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/hoods/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM.php

My suggestion with the last is to cut a paper template and then use black "Foamies" sheets to construct the actual hood.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2009
    I am actually hoping for a bayonet mount, plain hood like the 70-200 f/4 (I think).

Overall concept is to try to put a piece of lexan into the hood and try to make a protective cap for the lens. Inspired from other threads related t paintball and protecting your lens.
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    What's the item number on the hood (eg. ET-83b)

I believe it goes E (eos) T or S or W (tele or standard or wide) 83, 72, etc (diameter of the bayonet mount) and I II III, etc (if there are multiple hood designs that share specs)

I'm certain an f4 hood won't fit, but maybe there's a type you like that has the right bayonet mount diameter? I've heard of people trading hoods between wider lenses (24-105, 17-40, etc) so there must be some common hood bayonet mount specs at least across canon gear.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    Looks like a cheap Ebay knockoff hood will likely work. It is still a petal style hood but has a step in the hood near the mount.
    When time, money and motivation all come together then I will start on making my first impact resistant lens hood.
    Then comes testing.... Mostly worried about flare, and ghosting though. Of course I will also need to load up a marker of mine and do some torture testing before it gets on the lens :)

And don't worry if the beast comes to fruition I ill be posting pics through my process. But don't expect that until at least the weather warms up, so 4 months plus.... but my mind is rolling now.