OS X Tiger disappointment - spotlight defaults

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited May 8, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I have tons of plain text files, not all of which end in .txt and they don't seem to get indexed for spotlight. I'd like very much to be able to tell it that all the files in a particular folder are plain text and just index them as such.

All in all, spotlight seems to have great potential, but I think it will work much better for those who are really drinking the Kool Aid. I use emacs as my mail reader, for example, and it's mail folders aren't indexed. Fixing seems nontrivial. (But I hope I'm wrong.)
If not now, when?

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I have tons of plain text files, not all of which end in .txt and they don't seem to get indexed for spotlight. I'd like very much to be able to tell it that all the files in a particular folder are plain text and just index them as such.

All in all, spotlight seems to have great potential, but I think it will work much better for those who are really drinking the Kool Aid. I use emacs as my mail reader, for example, and it's mail folders aren't indexed. Fixing seems nontrivial. (But I hope I'm wrong.)

The applications you use need to play along. Your mail reader, for example, needs to have a plug-in which writes to the Spotlight index. Not sure what's up with your .txt files, seems like it shoulda caught them the first time through. Write the developer and ask about Spotlight plug-in development. Or do a search on versiontracker.com.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops