Options

Help me pick from a whole slew of compact cameras

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited January 21, 2009 in Cameras
So, I'm thinking about using my AmEx rewards points. I'm mainly interested in the video capabilities (I have a dSLR for when I'm serious about photos).

This is a big list that I haven't started narrowing yet (basically, it's everything my amount of points would let me get), but figured I'd see if you guys have any input.

Casio - EX-S10; EX-Z1050; EX-Z1080; EX-Z200; EX-S880, EX-Z80

Nikon - S560; S610; S550; S210

Canon - SD1100 IS; A2000 IS; SX110 IS; A590 IS; A1000 IS

Panasonic - 2 no longer in production ones, one 6MP, the other 7MP, both with mega OIS and 3x optical zoom; DMC FS20S

Olympus - FE340

Sony - W110; S780; WSC 150

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited January 17, 2009
    So, I'm thinking about using my AmEx rewards points. I'm mainly interested in the video capabilities (I have a dSLR for when I'm serious about photos).

Do they have any video cameras within your points accumulation?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Do they have any video cameras within your points accumulation?

They do, but I want something compact and the only ones they have are the handycam style. This won't be for making great videos, just something handy for random things, but while I'm getting I want to get the best I can.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    If super-duper-quality isn't an issue, definitely check out The Flip (http://www.theflip.com). The non-HD versions put out nice quality 640x480 AVIs. I am really happy with my Flip Ultra for quick grabs around the house. At $149.00 it was a no-brainer. I haven't seen the new HD unit, but it looks promising. At $229, an HD recorder in your pocket is damned tempting.

If interested, take a look at one of my galleries (http://photos.terrencerandell.com/gallery/4997216_pWVKk/1/299639566_nHeUK) for examples. All, except the last one, are straight out of a Flip Ultra.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    It wasn't on the list of ones I can get with my points (at least that I saw on the amex website).

If it helps people guide me, I think given how good the video is in a lot of the cams these days I should say the audio pickup is important too.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    You can get the Flip Mino (non-HD) for 31,800 points. I found it on a search of shopamex.com, which offers more selection than the standard catalog.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    Terrence wrote:
    You can get the Flip Mino (non-HD) for 31,800 points. I found it on a search of shopamex.com, which offers more selection than the standard catalog.

ahhhhhh, shopamex...good to know.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    I've been dowloading videos...it seems like Casio kicks everybody else's butt when it comes to audio pickup. Is this accurate, or just coincidence?
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    I have had an earlier version of the Olympus FE, and it was really easy to use and worked great.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    I have the S600 and have actually done alot of work with it so I highly recomend the 610
  • Options
    nomar219nomar219 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    S600 is good. :Dicon_smile.gifsmile.gificon_smile.gif
  • Options
    The_MaverickThe_Maverick Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2009
    There's a cheap HD quality brand which is Aiptek. probably you could look into it and it's worth your rewards points.
  • Options
    TJDIVTJDIV Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    If random video is your thing you absolutely can't beat the Canon Elph...I use a Power Shot 790 IS when I travel / snowboard and it's awesome.

My main concern was getting the video from a compact camera & having 10.0 megapixels for pictures.

I got mine at Walmart on sale for $249. There are a couple SD200's that have been around the family for 4 to 5 years.

Just my $.02.
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    So, do you guys have any thoughts on my observation from watching test videos: that the Casios have the best mic pickups for outdoors? I wonder if it's just coincidence.