Options

Clamps Recommendation - White Lightning Flash

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited February 4, 2009 in Accessories
Guys,

I have not used my White Lightning flash yet. I need a clamping system and a safety cable for attaching the White Lighning to rails and bleachers etc... I have done some searches for super clamps. Is there a particular clamp that is recommended?

What about a safety cable system?

Thanks,

MD
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    MDalby wrote:

The adapter you listed will work fine, but most of the time I just use a SuperClamp, and the base that comes (should have come) with the light.

NOTE: Don't over tighten the SuperClamp, or the other mounting clamps (wingnuts). You can put too much pressure on them, they have been known to fracture.

For safety, I drilled a hole in one of the fins on the bottom rear of the flash body, then put a split ring (as in heavy key ring) through the hole. Then, I made safety cables out of plastic coated twisted cable purchased at Home Depot. Loop on one end, loop with snap on other end. Pass one end through "key ring" on light & around railing, snap together. Done...

NOTE: Put safety cable on before mounting light. You don't want to get into the habit of hooking up the safety cable after the light is mounted. Depending on your location (catwalks), that one fumble could prove costly if you normally hook up the cable after the light is mounted.
    Randy
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited January 18, 2009
    I'll second the SuperClamp. I've used it with a Magic Arm to shoot video.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Randy

Just curious what kind of snap you used. Do you still have your 1200? Can you include a photo of the safety strap? Is the snap just a metal clip?

Thanks

MD
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    MDalby wrote:
    Randy

Just curious what kind of snap you used. Do you still have your 1200? Can you include a photo of the safety strap? Is the snap just a metal clip?

Thanks

MD

Something like this. I think mine has a closed loop on one end, the snap on the other, but it doesn't matter, as long as they are sturdy enough.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/20/20b552e9-cda3-46ae-ba57-9ee8676f0f2f_400.jpg

(Mod edit, embedded image changed to link.)
    Randy
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited January 21, 2009
    If you use a snap for suspending anything that you value or that could cause injury, I strongly advise choosing a product with at least 10 times the load rating of the intended load. Snaps are terribly poorly constructed and I've seen failures that are catastrophic.

A better device is called a "quick link" and they are designed to connect chain together. You still want to use a somewhat higher rating than minimum but those things are tough. I use a pair of quick links on my travel bag to hold an optional strap, for instance.

Here is an example of what a quick link looks like:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/336761_lg.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    Using a positive locking clip is strongly advised. A snap that can open is one that can easily fail.

As you choose the safety leads, remember they must support not only the lighting fixture but anything that might be attached to it; clamps, umbrellas, stands, whatever might be attached to the light. Be sure of both ends of your safety lead are securely fastened before leaving the lighting fixture.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    All,

Thank you for the help.

Rookies like me don't have the experience that is needed to have fail safe plans.

I like the quick link.

Ian,

What does a positive locking clip look like?

Thanks again
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    MDalby wrote:
    What does a positive locking clip look like?

Thanks again

This is one example of a positive lock;
    336761_lg.jpg

You can find those at most hardware stores.

You could use a locking carabiner--you might find something like this easier to use because it can be opened or clipped single handed. They're spendy though--about $14 for this one;

198490.jpg

Locking carabiners can be found at www.rei.com or a local climbing or outdoor store.

The reason for using a locking device is just that. When you walk away the device is locked and cannot come undone. Should your light fall and a cable or cord catches it, it can't come undone.
  • Options
    tetrodetetrode Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Get a real safety cable ...
    Go to the B&H site and search for "safety cable". All prices, strengths, and lengths.

They're all more or less like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3572-REG/Avenger_C155_C155_Safety_Cable_.html

Dave F.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    I found this elsewhere but it talk about how to secure lighting to buildings. Have a look.

The page covers building and using safety wires with White Lightnings.