Options

My First Attempt at a High School Swim Meet

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited January 22, 2009 in People
The lighting could not have been worse but I was already there and figured I'd give it a shot. C&C Welcome.

456582276_LAPWG-L.jpg

456583226_282co-L.jpg

456583102_PhfYJ-L.jpg

456582540_TYqQV-XL.jpg

456578369_ku4cY-L.jpg

456601261_f6uZu-L.jpg

456661827_AfbJV-L.jpg

456660406_fj4BZ-L.jpg

456960439_pmNSt-L.jpg

456970721_Rvnmh-L.jpg

457016730_uDPBf-L.jpg

457033582_K8FLk-L.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Very nice #6 is my fav. clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    These look really good. When I first started to read your post, I was preparing myself for some not so great photos. You undersold yourself! These are great.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    Thanks all. I was so concerned with the lighting because there were only 4 lights over the pool and it was sooooo dark I was really thinking it was a lost cause. I wound up taking team pictures as well. I'll post more as I process.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    These look really good. When I first started to read your post, I was preparing myself for some not so great photos. You undersold yourself! These are great.

15524779-Ti.gif

I had exactly the same reaction! I like 5, 6 and 8 (what did you do in post? I especially love the "glassy" look of the water in #8!)
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I had exactly the same reaction! I like 5, 6 and 8 (what did you do in post? I especially love the "glassy" look of the water in #8!)

Thanks Divamum,

#8 was very under exposed so really I just adjusted the exposure, sharpening and some saturation levels in RAW and then applied a layer of noise reduction at 70% and that was it. I like the way it came out as well.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    These are very, very goodthumb.gif As usual, I'm swim against the current here (pun intended:D) in that I think #7 is the best of the group. The look on her face - can't be sure if she's just finished a race and not been successful or if she's preparing for a race and trying to better focus her mind. There's a story there that is very much open to whatever the viewer wants to see.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    These are very, very goodthumb.gif As usual, I'm swim against the current here (pun intended:D) in that I think #7 is the best of the group. The look on her face - can't be sure if she's just finished a race and not been successful or if she's preparing for a race and trying to better focus her mind. There's a story there that is very much open to whatever the viewer wants to see.

Thanks Scott. Yes it is very interesting to see the kids when they get deep into thought and not aware you are watching. This is probably one of my favorite shots as well. I added a #9 as well.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Awesome pic's love the colors in the water also the subject eye's again very nice.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    speedsk8r wrote:
    Awesome pic's love the colors in the water also the subject eye's again very nice.

Thanks speedsk8r. I just put #10 up.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Just like Vegas, 7 & 11 are my favorites from the set!!
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    BMW Kurt wrote:
    Just like Vegas, 7 & 11 are my favorites from the set!!

Thanks BMW Kurt...I just added #12. I'm almost finished processing and found that one way underexposed.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Love them all! Except for #4 (kinda creepy, but that's the reality:D ) Was it all natural lighting or did you use flash? I like the cool catchlights in the blue eyes with the blue water...really nice. Can I ask what your settings were?
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Hi WingsOfLovePhoto. Thank you for the kind words. The pool was very, very dark so I did use a flash bouncing off the ceiling. I shot all but the team photo with my 70-200mm L @ F2.8 @ 1/200. #4 was a young lady just after she launched into her back stroke meet. I actually like it quite a bit because it's different.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    They are all very nice. Numbers 5-7-11 are my favorites.
    RON
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    Schnauzer wrote:
    They are all very nice. Numbers 5-7-11 are my favorites.

Thanks for the kind words Ron.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    These are absolutely fantastic. Some of the best high school swimming pictures I have ever seen!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    JimM wrote:
    These are absolutely fantastic. Some of the best high school swimming pictures I have ever seen!

Thanks for the very kind words Jim. I enjoyed shooting these kids. The conditions were tough with hardly any lighting and the humidity from the warm pool made me feel like I was in a sauna. It was worth it though.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    jrowphotojrowphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Nice shots! Why didn't you post in the sports forum? :)

I really like the clarity and color/white balance with the closeups!! I've shot a lot of my niece's swim meets (you can see pics from the link in my sig), and you did a really nice job.

What camera, ISO, etc?

John
  • Options
    BlinkingsBlinkings Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I cant wait to see what you post when it isn't the first time for you! They are sensationally good.
    All the best,
    Andrew
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    jrowphoto wrote:
    Nice shots! Why didn't you post in the sports forum? :)

I really like the clarity and color/white balance with the closeups!! I've shot a lot of my niece's swim meets (you can see pics from the link in my sig), and you did a really nice job.

What camera, ISO, etc?

John

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. I actually didn't realize that we had a sports forum :) since it's a new thing for me to try and shoot. I shot these with my 5D, 70-200mm L, ISO 400, F 2.8, 1/200 because it was wicked dark at the pool.

ADMINS: please move to sports forum area.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    Blinkings wrote:
    I cant wait to see what you post when it isn't the first time for you! They are sensationally good.

Thanks Blinkings. I'm beginning to feel comfortable shooting with my equipment and in full manual mode where I can control all aspects of the SS, ISO, F/Stop. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new 5D MKII and am thinking up some cool ways to try pushing the limits.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com