Options

Foggy Seattle

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited January 20, 2009 in Landscapes
For most of the past week we've had unusual weather here in Seattle. Super high pressure and a very stable inversion (meaning the temperature gets warmer higher up). This helped lead to some interesting morning fog conditions. This morning I got up early and spend an hour driving all over the city trying to find a spot that gave me a view. Everywhere that had a view point seemed to be totally fogged in. At the point of almost giving up the fog suddenly cleared and gave me a view of a ship in Elliot Bay waiting to be filled with grain.

457753006_fDe5h-XL.jpg

Parked the car pulled out the camera and started taking pictures of the ships in the bay surrounded by fog...

457753366_exca7-XL.jpg

The conditions would get to the point where there was almost no contrast. But at least it was easy to meter.

457753702_ERvEt-XL.jpg

after much waiting, Mount Rainier finally appeared.

Feeling as though I had taken too many pictures of boats and fog, and feeling as though I really needed coffee, I packed up and went to a nearby starbucks to refuel. There I met another photographer who told me about his experience shooting the city in the fog at nearby Ella Bailey park. I decided to check it out. I was shooting almost directly into the sun, but this is what I got...

457753918_j8JAW-XL.jpg

457754127_GrDfR-XL.jpg

Thanks for checking out my pics. All c&c welcome.
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Andrew, great job.thumb.gif #3 and #5 are my favorite. The weather is so dynamic, you never know how it'd end, but looks like you have a fantastic morning.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Gorgeous, Andrew! I love the first shot, and your final shots from the park. I would have thought fog was more common than it is up in Seattle, given how moist it is. Well, just goes to show ya. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    love the shots! I miss Seattle so much:cry

one suggestion, if you want to emphasize the silhouette quality of these photos, you might open up Levels in photoshop and bring the left slider (shadows) to the right a bit
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Great moody set. I like 1 and 4 especially thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    i hope you don't mind, but I did a simple Levels adjustment on this one.

40 1.20 190

457753702_ERvEt-XL.jpg
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Beautiful series Andrew!!
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Andrew, great job.thumb.gif #3 and #5 are my favorite. The weather is so dynamic, you never know how it'd end, but looks like you have a fantastic morning.

Cuong

Thanks Cuong! On #3 I waited forever for Mt. Rainier to clear up enough to be able to make out the mountain, then I just got lucky with the seagull.

schmoo wrote:
    Gorgeous, Andrew! I love the first shot, and your final shots from the park. I would have thought fog was more common than it is up in Seattle, given how moist it is. Well, just goes to show ya. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks schmoo! We do have plenty of fog, but usually the fog is much more evenly covering the city with the bay completely covered, and the fog is usually accompanied with gray skies, which doesn't make for the best photos.
    kitvan wrote:
    love the shots! I miss Seattle so much:cry

one suggestion, if you want to emphasize the silhouette quality of these photos, you might open up Levels in photoshop and bring the left slider (shadows) to the right a bit

Thanks for the advice kitvan! I had a few photos were I think they were more pure silhouette's out of the camera, but I didn't get the seagull. I'll give it a try.
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great moody set. I like 1 and 4 especially thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Dan! #1 was the scene that got me to get out of the car. With #4 and #5 I was shooting almost directly into the sun doing everything I could to keep from completely blowing it out. After a couple of pics, I was suprised that I was actually getting anything to turn out. #4 was iso 200, f18, 1/2000 sec...no need for a tripod rolleyes1.gif

kitvan wrote:
    i hope you don't mind, but I did a simple Levels adjustment on this one.

40 1.20 190

Thanks kitvan, I appreciate the start on setting my level adjustments.
    grimace wrote:
    Beautiful series Andrew!!

Thanks Adam!
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Sweet, really moody shots of Seattle, the backlit shots work really well with the fog. I had my camera with me this morning but the only thing I captured was memories and frustration (stuck at work).

Anyway, great shots!
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Sweet, really moody shots of Seattle, the backlit shots work really well with the fog. I had my camera with me this morning but the only thing I captured was memories and frustration (stuck at work).

Anyway, great shots!

Thanks Ron!

In a moment of over optimism I decided to also my camera today, but I also doubt that I will get out of my office until after dark :cry
    Andrew

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap My favorite is the one of Rainer peaking out of the clouds!
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap My favorite is the one of Rainer peaking out of the clouds!

Thanks April!

I was waiting with my camera pointed at that scene for what seemed like forever, watching the fog start to clear up then completely cover up the mountain again. I wanted THAT picture, but was annoyed I was probably missing some other shot with the fog around the buildings in the city. Finally the fog cleared up, however I must have 50 images where the fog was obscuring everything but the very tip of the mountain. rolleyes1.gif
    Andrew