Options

Voting in galleries?

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
I am wondering if anyone has either come up with a hack, or if it is possible to come up with a hack, that would allow you to open one of your galleries up to the public for voting. My dgrin searches have revealed nothing.

What I imagine here, is something like the dgrin photo challenge voting. You would have public, private, or password protected gallery that people could come to and vote on their favorite picture. Once a person votes, you leave them with a cookie to prevent them from voting again, and they are shown a count of how many votes each image has received so far.

I can imagine how the html might look, and I can imagine what the javascript for leaving a cookie might look like. But what I don't understand, is how (or if) you could use javascript and the smugmug api to some how save a count of votes. Any ideas or advice? Or should I post this as a Smugmug feature request for a new "voting" gallery type?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 9, 2006
    Hey Greenpea,

Firstly, this wouldn't be possible using smugmug photorank stuff.

However, I guess to some extent it is possible, but you would have to have a server external to SM, that would be able to tally and display the votes.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey Greenpea,

Firstly, this wouldn't be possible using smugmug photorank stuff.

However, I guess to some extent it is possible, but you would have to have a server external to SM, that would be able to tally and display the votes.

Cheers,

David

Thanks David. I wan't necesarily thinking of the photorank, I was just hoping there might be a way to use Javascript and the API to update HTML in gallery in a controlled way. For now, maybe I'll move this to the smugmug wish list.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    kosikosi Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2009
    On this topic (and forgive me if this is a restatement of the original question) could there be a way to use photorank to see how popular a photo is?