Options

LensAlign...

Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
edited January 20, 2009 in Accessories
...focus calibration system is now available...at RawWorkflow.

Looks good to me...links on page for reviews.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 13, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    ...focus calibration system is now available...at RawWorkflow.

Looks good to me...links on page for reviews.
    Interesting. I built something very similar several years ago from a bit of scrap MDF and a freebie test chart downloaded off the internet. (Disregard the kid's blocks and tape measure, as they're not relevant).
    focus_test_jig_small.jpg

There's no magic to it. You simply need a vertical flat target to focus on, and place it next to any sort of graduated rule held at a 45 angle to the vertical target.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Interesting. I built something very similar

Unless I'm missing something, the only problem with your setup is that it there is no way of knowing if the lens is perfectly perpendicular and parallel to the target. That is why you need the rear bulls-eye to line up with the hole in the center of the front target. Look at the video...it will make it clearer than my words.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something, the only problem with your setup is that it there is no way of knowing if the lens is perfectly perpendicular and parallel to the target. That is why you need the rear bulls-eye to line up with the hole in the center of the front target. Look at the video...it will make it clearer than my words.
    What you say is true. However, it's not that hard to get your camera square to the target. Level the camera using a camera level (duh), and level the target using a spirit level. That'll get you vertical alignment. For horizontal, you can take a few measurements off your setup to get things aligned. You could of course steal this guy's idea and drill a hole in the vertical board and suspend a little target behind it to make it repeatable. deal.gif

Of course just getting his setup would be a hell of a lot more convenient. I'm just saying you can cobble up something at home today that will do just as well if you spend the time.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    drill a hole in the vertical board and suspend a little target behind it to make it repeatable

Can I borrow your drill press? :D Actually a verticle mill would be better...along with precise measuring instruments.

That alignment is doable...but not for most people. The rear target has to be perfectly aligned with the front hole and the front hole perpendicular to the target plane or it's garbage.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    "Perfectly aligned"? Perhaps you missed the comment in the video where he said "good enough". Neither the tool, nor the usage of it are going to be perfect. Neither is your camera or lens going to be perfectly repeatable either. However, DOF gives you a fudge factor in all of this.

I used my setup to determine which if any of my lenses were out of calibration. Based on my results, I sent equipment back to Canon and they agreed and calibrated it. I then verified their work on my setup and found it satisfactory. So it worked for me. If I'd had micro-focus adjustment on my camera body, I have no doubt that I could have calibrated my lenses to my body myself. No garbage here, just facts.

-joel
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Interesting. I built something very similar several years ago from a bit of scrap MDF and a freebie test chart downloaded off the internet. (Disregard the kid's blocks and tape measure, as they're not relevant).
    focus_test_jig_small.jpg

There's no magic to it. You simply need a vertical flat target to focus on, and place it next to any sort of graduated rule held at a 45 angle to the vertical target.

Impressive.

Ric, I can't tell what the difference is between the pro version and the lite version? This looks like something I could use. thumb.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Impressive.

Ric, I can't tell what the difference is between the pro version and the lite version? Yhis looks like something I could use. thumb.gif

It looks like the lite version doesn't have red dot aligning thingy that the first video describes.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    This looks like another expensive toy for the ones who have too much money to print a focusing chart themselves and mount it on a cardboard. :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Lens Align Pro
    I came across this reletively inexpensive device that is an excellent way to make sure your autofocus is working to give your the sharpest focus possible.

It is called lens align pro and can be seen at http://www.rawworkflow.com/

Let me know what your thoughts are.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited December 15, 2008
    I merged 2 threads. Carry on.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    You can save a bit of money and just rent it instead. No affiliation what so ever with the site, just passing it along.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    NickerjoNickerjo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2009
    The great "FOCUS OFF" (hopefully not off too much :))
    Manfr3d wrote:
    This looks like another expensive toy for the ones who have too much money to print a focusing chart themselves and mount it on a cardboard. :D

I applaud KDOG for what looks like a great tool. If you research the latest on AF adjustment you will find that focus charts alone or the "ole slanted tape measure" techinques may do more harm than good. So KDOG was right on target with his aligned focusing chart in conjunction with the tape measure.

However - as others have mentioned - we might not have KDOG's skills or shop equipment, so the Lens Align seems to be just what we need. Considering my investment in lenses and camera bodies - it seems to be a fairly economical choice.

I should receive the product next week -

Please give me the address for the site that has your favorite focusing chart available for download. I will be happy to check out the focusing accuracy of my two bodies and 4-5 of my lenses using your chart of preference as well as the Lens Align product.

So it's kind of like "put you chart where your comments are" - I'm providing the dinero - so what do you have to lose? (I might just be the "fool" separated from his money?).

All the best,

nickerjo
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    Nickerjo, Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for offering to test and compare. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Nickerjo wrote:
    I applaud KDOG for what looks like a great tool. If you research the latest on AF adjustment you will find that focus charts alone or the "ole slanted tape measure" techinques may do more harm than good. So KDOG was right on target with his aligned focusing chart in conjunction with the tape measure.

However - as others have mentioned - we might not have KDOG's skills or shop equipment, so the Lens Align seems to be just what we need. Considering my investment in lenses and camera bodies - it seems to be a fairly economical choice.

I should receive the product next week -

Please give me the address for the site that has your favorite focusing chart available for download. I will be happy to check out the focusing accuracy of my two bodies and 4-5 of my lenses using your chart of preference as well as the Lens Align product.

So it's kind of like "put you chart where your comments are" - I'm providing the dinero - so what do you have to lose? (I might just be the "fool" separated from his money?).

All the best,

nickerjo
    Welcome to Dgrin! I got my LAPro recently, but haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet -- I'm especially interested in calibrating some very long lenses, and it's too cold here in NY to bother with for now.

Your "challenge' is very interesting and I hope that someone provides you with the address you asked for -- it will be great to see your comparison of results between that and the LA once you receive it.

I think the LAPro cost $139. I value my time at way more than that per hour, so it wouldn't have been worth it for me to try to rig a homemade setup such as that pictured, even if I had the skills and tools to do so. I guess that the only frustration with the LA investment is that once you've calibrated all your lens combinations, you're done with the thing, at least until you buy your next lens (which in my case should be NEVER). Which makes another poster's suggestion of "renting" a pretty good one.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    Nickerjo wrote:

My current favorite recommendation for a test chart is here (recommended by another DGrinner but I can't remember who or I would give them credit):

http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart
    ziggy53