Options

Corel anyone?

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited January 21, 2009 in Finishing School
A small band of Corel Compadres have found each other.

Mayndi, Gina and I use Corel's PhotoPaint and wonder if there are other non-conformists out there in dGrin land?

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

Mayndi, Gina and I use Corel's PhotoPaint and wonder if there are other non-conformists out there in dGrin land?
    Corel PhotoPaint 12 for me! mwink.gif

Does everything I want to do.....and more. Been using it since 1997.

Can't see any reason to buy Photoshop.

Since Corel bought out Jasc, I don't hold out hope that PhotoPaint will survive though. Paintshop will most likely be the program they will use to lure digital photographers with.deal.gif:(: And, PhotoPaint is only available as part of Corel's Graphics Suite that is aimed at professional graphic artists.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    David_S85

Jim Fuglestad
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Corel PhotoPaint 12 for me! mwink.gif

Does everything I want to do.....and more. Been using it since 1997.

Can't see any reason to buy Photoshop.

Since Corel bought out Jasc, I don't hold out hope that PhotoPaint will survive though. Paintshop will most likely be the program they will use to lure digital photographers with.deal.gif:(: And, PhotoPaint is only available as part of Corel's Graphics Suite that is aimed at professional graphic artists.
    Ric - you don't think it will survive?

I've been a Corel user since v5 (can you say floppy disks? :D ) and I think that's about as long as you. I've always used the Graphics Suite and am now on v10. I probably should upgrade again but I'm comfortable with the current version.

Until recently I never used Paint very much so I'm behind the curve on learned skills, but I'm trying.

One of my staff graphic artists is a Corel master. Watching her demonstrate the differences between Corel and Adobe I'm surprised anyone bothers with Adobe products.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Ric - you don't think it will survive?
    As an alternative to other popular programs for the digital photographer.....is what I meant.rolleyes1.gif

Why they haven't properly marketed PhotoPaint is probably do to Adobe giving away Elements with every new computer...printer...and camera that is sold on the planet!!!
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    As an alternative to other popular programs for the digital photographer.....is what I meant.rolleyes1.gif

Why they haven't properly marketed PhotoPaint is probably do to Adobe giving away Elements with every new computer...printer...and camera that is sold on the planet!!!
    Ah, gotcha. And following my fortuitous meeting with Vincent Versace (see "meet the photographer") I realize I will never truly advance without mastering PS. I'm not happy about that but...!
  • Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    I have Corel Photo-Paint 6, but my CD is too beat up anymore and it hardly works. I used to use it for everything - it's great. I use PS nowadays though.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2005
    ANdyman, I'm convinced, based on my limited experience with PS that Corel's software is superior, just not as popular.

Where are you located?
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    As Angelo mentioned, I am a PP user - version 12. I keep hearing about how great PS is and how I should pony up the cost of a nice lens to join the mainstream. I just don't know. The Corel product is so business like. You don't have to go through a lot of friendly GUI to do what you want to do. On the other hand, you have to know what you are doing to use PP.

I worry that Corel doesn't seem to be putting much into PP anymore and that eventually I will be forced to make the change to PS. Be that as it may, obviously there are a few of us who know something about PP and like using it. In my case, however, I would like to know more. Anyone interested in starting a forum for sharing technical tips? I have in mind things like translating some of the PS processes folks talk about into Corel terms as well as helping each other out.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2005
    Elmer, NJ. I don't know why it doesn't show up as I have it in my profile.
    Nikon D50
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited November 29, 2005
    PSP spoken here
    Dont use Paint...

But I'm a long time Paint Shop Pro user (since 2.0, I believe). I'm still using ver. 7. Does almost everything I want except save EXIF's properly. Lots of power included that Elements never bothered with. Curves was there since ver. 6. Did you know that PSP could perform High Pass Sharpening since version 5? (hidden). Not many know about that.

Since most every plug-in that is PS-rated can also work with Jasc (I'm sorry... cough cough Corel), the possibilities are huge.

I will be forced to move to ver. 10 ("X") soon, and I'm sure I'll like that one too. I just won't be using their Album software, which sux big-time.

We can discuss Corel here without a problem and don't need a dedicated Dgrin forum yet. I would just suggest to preface the thread name with Corel or PSP, or whatever the application first for quick identification and searching. Our little "club" might also amuse/irritate/confuse the Adobe crowd who've paid way too much money for their products. rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    Andyman wrote:
    Elmer, NJ. I don't know why it doesn't show up as I have it in my profile.
    If you were closer I'd lend you my disks.
  • Options
    tsinvesttsinvest Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2005
    Just bought Paint Shop Pro X and use it often. I also have Photo Shop Elements 3 and use that as well. Between the two they handle most all my needs so far. I can't see paying $299 for the PS CS2 upgrade when I can do most everything with these two programs. BTW Elements browser is a great organizer and in additon you can get to PSP X directly from the Elements edit menu.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    Thanks, Angelo. Oh well.
    Nikon D50
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    I received an email from Corel telling me to make the following offer to others:

Please feel free to direct your friends to the link below which will allow them to purchase PSP for only $69 which is $60 off the suggested retail price! This is a hidden landing page not accessible to folks via Corel.com - the only way your friends can get to it is through this link:

http://www.corel.com/hidoffer210

This offer expires on January 31, 2006.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    mrcoons wrote:
    I received an email from Corel telling me to make the following offer to others:

Please feel free to direct your friends to the link below which will allow them to purchase PSP for only $69 which is $60 off the suggested retail price! This is a hidden landing page not accessible to folks via Corel.com - the only way your friends can get to it is through this link:

http://www.corel.com/hidoffer210

This offer expires on January 31, 2006.

Awesome! thanks mrcoons!!! I was just finishing up a 30 day trial of PSPX, and this is an even better deal. (btw, it is $99 if you purchase from the trial version...)
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Awesome! thanks mrcoons!!! I was just finishing up a 30 day trial of PSPX, and this is an even better deal. (btw, it is $99 if you purchase from the trial version...)

No problem. I upgraded from 9 to X but don't recall what I paid. I figured that that there would be someone who could take advantage of this savings!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    mrcoons wrote:
    No problem. I upgraded from 9 to X but don't recall what I paid. I figured that that there would be someone who could take advantage of this savings!!!clap.gif

You probably already know this, but just in case you don't, Corel PhotoPaint is a completely differant program from PaintShop and comes as part of a complete and powerful graphics suite of programs.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    PSP X users...
    The packaged versions of PSP X are a bit buggy. After you get it installed, make sure you download the 10.01 update. After you do that, then make sure you download the 10.02 update - which fixes the bugs in the 10.01 update. :D

The catch is... the 10.02 update is itself buggy. They are probably working on a 10.03 update right now. If you want your plug-ins to work properly, you need to shut down the browser (bugs in that too) first, then shut down PSP X. Then open PSP X (browser won't load automatically), and your missing plug-ins will show again.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    Racerx7734Racerx7734 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Angelo wrote:

I use PSP Photo X2 and it's AWESOME!!!........

Same capabilities as PS
    Easier to use
    MUCH cheaper.
    now has downloadable user manuals with tips and tricks.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Racerx7734 wrote:
    I use PSP Photo X2 and it's AWESOME!!!........

Same capabilities as PS
    Easier to use
    MUCH cheaper.
    now has downloadable user manuals with tips and tricks.

PhotoPaint X4 is awesomer! wings.gif

Trouble is you can only get it as part of the CorelDraw graphics suite. Which is still le$$ that PS CS3.

While PSP may be better suited for photography it can't touch PS or PP for seemingly endless possibilities in image enhancement.

BTW...Angelo defected to PS long ago!
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    BTW...Angelo defected to PS long ago!

So did gina.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Flyinggina wrote:
    So did gina.

Virginia

:D

Well, Ric didn't! rolleyes1.gif

I'm still finding out how to do different things with CPP X3...after all these years. headscratch.gif

I have been tempted though.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Heck, I'm still using PSP ver. 7.14 (works iffy on Windows XP). lol3.gif I also use PS CS2 quite a bit, along with the Canon DPP RAW converter.

Good old PSP 7 still has all the tools for most work, except perhaps modern EXIF handling.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    ImJogiImJogi Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Love PSP Ultimate
    Hey all, I just found this thread and wanted to say that I have used Paint Shop Pro Photo since it was version 8 and I think it is really good. Check out some of the tutorials on youtube and see many of the things you can do. It's true, you have to want to use it and spend some time with it, but the results are fantastic. I have recently been learning how to beautify some of my glamour portraits with this.
    :thumb Jogi
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    :D

Well, Ric didn't! rolleyes1.gif

I'm still finding out how to do different things with CPP X3...after all these years. headscratch.gif

I have been tempted though.

Funny...to me...that this old thread popped up again.

The UPS guy is dropping off CS4 today! clap.gif

This old dog is going to have to learn new tricks now.:D
  • Options
    ImJogiImJogi Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    I'll stick with PSP
    I don't personally use Adobe but I do have a friend that does and I have also checked it out on various sites. It looks like a fine program, but I have found that I can do most everything on Paint Shop Pro Ultimate that can be done on CS. Each has some tools that anyone could covet.
    I'm still learning, but I guess I'll stay with Corel as long as I can.
    :thumb Jogi
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Corel PSP XI user here...

Will probably be updating to X2 Ultimate soon, since the upgrade is only $49 right now...

wings.gif :ivar clap.gif :ivar wings.gif
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro