Options

Cheaper alternative to Nikon grips?

Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited January 28, 2009 in Cameras
Does anyone have any experience with the non-mfg cheaper alternatives to the MB-D10 such as this?

I had the distinct feeling of being ripped off when I purchased the grip for my D100 back in the day, and now that I'm looking for a grip for my D700 I'm trying to avoid that same feeling.

After all, $250 for a nifty piece of plastic seems a little steep.

Thoughts? :scratch

Wes

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Essentially all these things should just be a holder of batteries. Looking it over it looks to be just fine, so why not? Don't like it, send it back. Looks like the child of Sakar ...go for it...I think I will too as soon as I upgrade~~cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Wes Weber wrote:
    Does anyone have any experience with the non-mfg cheaper alternatives to the MB-D10 such as this?

I had the distinct feeling of being ripped off when I purchased the grip for my D100 back in the day, and now that I'm looking for a grip for my D700 I'm trying to avoid that same feeling.

After all, $250 for a nifty piece of plastic seems a little steep.

Thoughts? headscratch.gif

Wes

FWIW, the MB-D10 for the D300/D700 is a substantially nicer bit of kit than the Nikon grips for earlier cameras. Mine hasn't left my D300 from Day One.
    Tim
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I know Ownuser makes some great 3rd party grips.
  • Options
    PuppY_K1ck3RPuppY_K1ck3R Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Just to let u know the Nikon version of the MB-D10 is not plastic but metal. I have one for my D300 and it feels just right. I have a 3rd party grip for my D80 made by Opteka I guess it feels ok but it is plastic just like the D80 body. But it dosen't feel "seamless" because it didint feel like the body. The Mb D-10 would feel right on a D700 for sure.
    http://www.duclayanprofoto.com

Nikon D300
    Nikon 24-70mm 2.8
    Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VRII
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    I have the MB-D10 as well. I am another who uses OEM in these cases with accessories. Now certain lenses that is another case.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    Thanks for the input! I still haven't decided, but this helps. thumb.gif

Wes
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2008
    Just to let u know the Nikon version of the MB-D10 is not plastic but metal. I have one for my D300 and it feels just right. I have a 3rd party grip for my D80 made by Opteka I guess it feels ok but it is plastic just like the D80 body. But it dosen't feel "seamless" because it didint feel like the body. The Mb D-10 would feel right on a D700 for sure.

This is important to know, thanks!

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    Update
    Ok, so I ended up getting the cheaper grip. Overall it felt pretty decent. The shutter release and scroll knobs felt different than Nikon's for sure, but the definitely were not bad. I actually liked the 4-way focus selector better than Nikon's. But...

I wasn't getting 8 fps like I wanted. After messing around for a while, I figured out that the battery contacts just weren't contacting. Upon closer examination I saw that one of the contacts inside the grip was just a bit shorter than the other. I tried straightening it a bit, but was unable to. So, I send it back and ordered the Nikon version for an additional $139.

On a side note, Cameta Camera was excellent to deal with. The apologized for the problems with the other grip and were very helpful in the return/exchange process. clap.gif

So, now I'm waiting for the Nikon MB-D10 to arrive, patiently. Or not.
  • Options
    BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Wes Weber wrote:
    Ok, so I ended up getting the cheaper grip. Overall it felt pretty decent. The shutter release and scroll knobs felt different than Nikon's for sure, but the definitely were not bad. I actually liked the 4-way focus selector better than Nikon's. But...

I wasn't getting 8 fps like I wanted. After messing around for a while, I figured out that the battery contacts just weren't contacting. Upon closer examination I saw that one of the contacts inside the grip was just a bit shorter than the other. I tried straightening it a bit, but was unable to. So, I send it back and ordered the Nikon version for an additional $139.

On a side note, Cameta Camera was excellent to deal with. The apologized for the problems with the other grip and were very helpful in the return/exchange process. clap.gif

So, now I'm waiting for the Nikon MB-D10 to arrive, patiently. Or not.

All the posters warned you about getting 3rd party equipment and yet you went ahead and got it. Now your returning it, why? because it is not up to spec of the MB-D10. Most times "penny wise is pound foolish". Lucky for you it didn't work straight away. Down the road the wheel may have cracked from tightening, the screw could have stripped when up in the camera or many other things. Your buying a knock off that costs way less than the original equipment and do you really think the materials used are the same quality of the Nikon. A more important thing is that you bought a $3000 camera, you may have bought it at the lower price, still it is built like a $3K camera. So why scrimp on accessories. I should say critical accessories. A 3rd party eyecup means little to the functionality of the camera. This is a good learing lesson for you I hope you put this experience to use next time.

It is a fine camera good luck with it for many years to come.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Brascole wrote:
    All the posters warned you about getting 3rd party equipment and yet you went ahead and got it. Now your returning it, why? because it is not up to spec of the MB-D10. Most times "penny wise is pound foolish". Lucky for you it didn't work straight away. Down the road the wheel may have cracked from tightening, the screw could have stripped when up in the camera or many other things. Your buying a knock off that costs way less than the original equipment and do you really think the materials used are the same quality of the Nikon. A more important thing is that you bought a $3000 camera, you may have bought it at the lower price, still it is built like a $3K camera. So why scrimp on accessories. I should say critical accessories. A 3rd party eyecup means little to the functionality of the camera. This is a good learing lesson for you I hope you put this experience to use next time.

It is a fine camera good luck with it for many years to come.

Not all the posters...! I appreciate that he bought the Non-OEM piece, checked it out and is getting the other piece and told us about it.

Your post is hilarious..sounds like you are scolding...

tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Brascole wrote:
    All the posters warned you about getting 3rd party equipment and yet you went ahead and got it. Now your returning it, why? because it is not up to spec of the MB-D10. Most times "penny wise is pound foolish". Lucky for you it didn't work straight away.

Yes, mom.

As I see it, $139 is $139. If I paid $20K for a camera, I still wouldn't throw money away if I didn't see a need for it. The point of my post was just to let others know of my experience to help if someone else was faced with the same decision as me.

Thanks to angevin1 for planting suggesting just to try it out. That was exactly the advice I needed at the time. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    Essentially all these things should just be a holder of batteries. Looking it over it looks to be just fine, so why not? Don't like it, send it back. Looks like the child of Sakar ...go for it...I think I will too as soon as I upgrade~~cheers, tom
    Hey, you tried it and didn't like it. One more thing down, many more to go. Thats why we deal with reputable dealers hopefully. I goofed and learned way long ago. Could be you got another of these same ones and it'd be fine. Heck, even the D300 I got back in October had to go back within twenty minutes due to failure of the shutter. SO the real deal holyfield is to use these decent folks to do business with in case of issues.

Cheers, tom

"night Mom!"
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    Heck, even the D300 I got back in October had to go back within twenty minutes due to failure of the shutter. SO the real deal holyfield is to use these decent folks to do business with in case of issues.

Cheers, tom

"night Mom!"

You're absolutely right.

I was one momemt from getting another Digital Concepts version with that very thought in mind, but I've got some shoots coming up where 8FPS would be really nice, and unfortunately I didn't want to risk it again. It was pretty darn nice, and if it had worked out of the box I'd still have it.

Wes
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    Not all the posters...! I appreciate that he bought the Non-OEM piece, checked it out and is getting the other piece and told us about it.

Your post is hilarious..sounds like you are scolding...

tom

Was I talking to you? No. So why chime in with a sarcastic remark. You want to buy junk well that's your business. I would suggest that you should not advise someone to buy a 3rd party part unless you actually have it and can verify it's quality. As for Sakar they are the cheapest Chinese knock-offs on the planet and are also sold under Adorama name.. I saw a post on dpreview of one taken apart. I think you would change your mind if you saw that photo.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Wes Weber wrote:
    Yes, mom.

As I see it, $139 is $139. If I paid $20K for a camera, I still wouldn't throw money away if I didn't see a need for it. The point of my post was just to let others know of my experience to help if someone else was faced with the same decision as me.

Thanks to angevin1 for planting suggesting just to try it out. That was exactly the advice I needed at the time.

I was just trying to help, you don't have to get sarcastic with the "mom" cr@p. Now angevin1 said get it and you did. It didn't work. Now lucky you were able to return it, what would you have done if you couldn't or if they gave you greif, go to angevin1 for a refund or say to yourself you did a stupid thing and go happily on your way. Did you factor in the fact that the grip is just not for a more comfortable way to hold the D700 and that it is a major part of getting the higher frame rate. I could give a hoot what you buy.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited January 19, 2009
    Folks, this thread is taking a nasty turn. No more personal attacks. Anything further here that's not related to the original topic will be deleted.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    Apparently Nikon sucks too
    Well, just got my genuine official Nikon MB-D10. I put it on and the menu button on my D700 wouldn't work. After poking around a bit, I noticed it was continually auto focusing. I put the MB-D10's shutter release in the lock position, then my menu button worked. Seems that the shutter release is "stuck" part way down.

Want to know what $239 gets you?

A load of crap, that's what.

Wes
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    Wes Weber wrote:
    Well, just got my genuine official Nikon MB-D10. I put it on and the menu button on my D700 wouldn't work. After poking around a bit, I noticed it was continually auto focusing. I put the MB-D10's shutter release in the lock position, then my menu button worked. Seems that the shutter release is "stuck" part way down.

Wes

Sorry to hear it but I would hope that you can get it easily resolved.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    Wes Weber wrote:

Wes

God Wes...I KNOW you're frustrated...probably as much as me and the D300 last October...

you got it from a rep dealer, yes?

Rest that its just a thing with new pieces...the next one you receive will be fine.

Pray tell that your cam is okay , right?

reading, tom

Ps: I know new products can ruin our faith in our pieces, but, they are new, they are human made, they fail as we do...and most of all...they are such a luxury in this experience!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2009
    Things seem to be happy now
    It turned out that the AF-ON button on the MB-D10 was stuck, not the shutter release. I was able to pop it back out, but it kept on sticking. I put a few drops of silicone lube on a paper towel and rubbed the outer ring of the button using the towel under my fingernail. Now it doesn't stick at all. Problem solved. Whew.

So here's my thoughts on the comparison of the Digital Concept vs. Nikon:

1. The digital concepts pack is plastic, but I liked it anyway. The Nikon feels a smidge better in my hand. The digital concepts is very similar to the MB-D100 on my D100 which I have been totally fine with.
    2. The 4-way selector on the digital concepts is way better than Nikon's. I hate Nikon's.
    3. The shutter on Nikon's is better than the digital concepts. The digital concepts had a different feel than my D700's, but it was still good, even though Nikon's is better.
    4. Both units failed right out of the box, which totally stinks. The Nikon failed a little less, but I still had to make it work instead of it just working on its own.

I'm curious if anyone else has a digital concepts pack. I can't imagine that they all had the failure that mine did. Like I said before, if the digital concepts had worked, I would have kept it.

Overall: The Nikon is better, but not $139 better, assuming the digital concept failure was an anomaly.

Hope this helps somebody in the future...

Wes
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2009
    Wes,

I hope this is a happy ending for you and that you have smooth sailing from here on.

Thanks for the update and review of the 2 grips.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Hey Wes,

There's one thing that you're forgetting (or don't know?) that the MB-D10 has that I'd almost bet the Digital Concept model doesn't have: weather sealing. When I attach the MB-D10 to my D300, I know that if my camera encounters any unexpected weather I won't have to worry. Nikon designed the grip to have the same weather sealing as my camera body.

I'm not sure if that's worth $200, but it's a peace of mind thing for me. Anyway, enjoy the camera and grip!