Options

Swimming

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited January 24, 2009 in Sports
I posted this originally in the People forum and I was pinged about why not put it here so I'm re-posting and if the admins can merge the two posts that would be great.

The lighting could not have been worse but I was already there and figured I'd give it a shot. C&C Welcome.
456582276_LAPWG-L.jpg
456583226_282co-L.jpg
456583102_PhfYJ-L.jpg
456582540_TYqQV-XL.jpg
456578369_ku4cY-L.jpg
456601261_f6uZu-L.jpg
456661827_AfbJV-L.jpg
456660406_fj4BZ-L.jpg
456960439_pmNSt-L.jpg
456970721_Rvnmh-L.jpg
457016730_uDPBf-L.jpg
457033582_K8FLk-L.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    #5-8, 11, 12 are my picks. Beautiful eyes.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Good Day!

The photos are nice, but, they are just portraits of some nice Girls in a pool.
    If you want to make good sports photos, they probably need some sort of action, Stroking, diving other swimmers etc.
    I love the photos, but Action is important.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    #5-8, 11, 12 are my picks. Beautiful eyes.

Cuong

Thanks for the kind words Cuong.

Good Day!

The photos are nice, but, they are just portraits of some nice Girls in a pool.
    If you want to make good sports photos, they probably need some sort of action, Stroking, diving other swimmers etc.
    I love the photos, but Action is important.

Hi Sportsshooter06 and thanks for commenting and the kind words. Laughing.gif it's probably hard to tell but #1 is actually a guy. I thought that I had a fair mixture where half are action shots in #1, 3, 4, 8, 9 and 10. Are those not what you are meaning? I'm looking for insight...thanks.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    I thought that I had a fair mixture where half are action shots in #1, 3, 4, 8, 9 and 10. Are those not what you are meaning? I'm looking for insight...thanks.
    You're shooting what I call sport-traits or more like portraits in the a sports environment.

The best sports betters capture the sense of peak motion and I don't get a sense of motion. I have never taken a photo of a swim meet, but I would start with the classic shots --- front view of a butterfly stroke, side of view of a freestyle with other racers blurry in the background to gives clues that it's a race, starter block starts when everyone is jumping into the water, and then get more creative from here by going after different angles and slowing down the shutter speeds for motion blur of the water.

For example, I can't tell if these individuals are in a race, taking a practice stroke, or just playing in the pool by splashing their arms in the water; the sense of urgency is lost.
    RBrogen wrote:
    456582276_LAPWG-Th.jpg

456583102_PhfYJ-Th.jpg
    You have taken some incredible photos and did very well with the eyes, but "action" doesn't pop out.

And some examples of more "action" swim photos
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=88223
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/674701/0?keyword=swim#6031342
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/583692/0?keyword=swimming#5107589
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/669700/0?keyword=swimming#5978594
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    You're shooting what I call sport-traits or more like portraits in the a sports environment.

The best sports betters capture the sense of peak motion and I don't get a sense of motion. I have never taken a photo of a swim meet, but I would start with the classic shots --- front view of a butterfly stroke, side of view of a freestyle with other racers blurry in the background to gives clues that it's a race, starter block starts when everyone is jumping into the water, and then get more creative from here by going after different angles and slowing down the shutter speeds for motion blur of the water.

For example, I can't tell if these individuals are in a race, taking a practice stroke, or just playing in the pool by splashing their arms in the water; the sense of urgency is lost.

You have taken some incredible photos and did very well with the eyes, but "action" doesn't pop out.

And some examples of more "action" swim photos
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=88223
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/674701/0?keyword=swim#6031342
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/583692/0?keyword=swimming#5107589
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/669700/0?keyword=swimming#5978594

Thank you very much for your insight and thoughtful reply. I will keep those things in mind when I go out for my 2nd swim shoot ever :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Just to echo - the portrait shots definitely stand out. Extremely well done. As for action I'm going to disagree with the notion of shooting wider to show other competitors. In my experience that doesn't work too well in swimming. The reason is in swimming unlike soccer, basketball or other sports only a small portion of the body is visible and competitors are a good distance away relative to the size of the subject. So when you frame more loosely your subject ends up filling a very small portion of the frame. Give it a go and see if you like it. You might. I never cared much for it.

8, 9 and 10 all have action in them. The biggest issue with them is they appear underexposed.

What gear were you using for these? I'd especially like to know the gear for the portrait style shots - exceptionally sharp. What camera/lens and did you add flash?
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Hey Randy,

Depending on the sport, and the whim of the buyer(s), the sportaits are good sellers, sometimes better than the "action" ones.

I don't know if your selling or not, but just keep that in mind. If your selling, give em' what they want to buy! Not just what "sports photogs" think are great action shots. If you limit your offerings to only one or the other, you'll miss out on a lot of sales.
    Randy
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    I really want to shoot some swimming.

Are there any tricks of the trade when shooting with water?

MD
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Randy,

Depending on the sport, and the whim of the buyer(s), the sportaits are good sellers, sometimes better than the "action" ones.

I don't know if your selling or not, but just keep that in mind. If your selling, give em' what they want to buy! Not just what "sports photogs" think are great action shots. If you limit your offerings to only one or the other, you'll miss out on a lot of sales.

Thanks Randy and that is a great point. I tend to focus on my subjects faces and eyes naturally because that is where I capture and portray the emotion of that person in that moment and they do sell very nicely for that reason. This was my first attempt ever at swimming and given the really really bad lighting conditions I was very pleased at how they came out. I'll post a couple more of my action shots shortly so you all can see them.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    edited January 24, 2009
    MDalby wrote:
    I really want to shoot some swimming.

Are there any tricks of the trade when shooting with water?

MD

Hi MD: Being this was my first attempt, I can't elaborate very much on technique or tricks. A couple things I did find helpful:

1) As with any "Event" especially sports, know the game so you can anticipate things. With swimming know what movements are required to achieve a butterfly verses a back stroke or breast stroke. This is imperative so that you can line yourself up in the correct position to get the shot.

2) With the swimming, I was allowed pool side access so as the swimmers were going a long, I prefocused on their heads and tracked them through their swim continuously refocusing and would be ready to shoot as soon as their head poped up.

3) You should absolutely shoot full manual mode if yo have it so you can individually control ISO, SS and F/Stop settings. On my 5D it's a simple flip of the On switch to the secondary On position that turns the big dial on the back into the F/Stop control.

4) Beware of swimmers making turns. When they flip, you will drip if you are not out of the way because the splash. lol

5) Try and find out if there are any special things on the line that particular meet if it is competitive. For instance in this particular meet, one of the swimmers were going for a State record....good to know especially if the record is broken you can have that moment captured and you can bet it will be valuable to not only the parents but local media, the school etc so you can potentially have a gold mine.

6) Get to the venue early so you can to do some test shots to get your settings close to what they will need to be. You will want to stop action so your SS will need to be above 200 and probably up around 320 or so and that means you will need to lean on F/Stop and ISO to achieve proper exposure or at least get close to it.

7) Lastly, SHOOT RAW!!! this is a must when you want to really be able to dial in your picture and make the exposure adjustments. I believe you can adjust the exposure by +2 and -3 so you have a lot of wiggle room.

Hope this helps.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    That is a big help. Thanks Randy!
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com