Options

58mm Telephoto Lens on 55mm Lens Adapter??

BrianJRBrianJR Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited April 18, 2004 in Accessories
Newb here...nice site you have here!

I have an HP945 digital camera with a 55mm lens adapter tube. This adapter is great for filters (UV, polarizer) but the number of lens options (telephoto, wide angle) is limited. So, I was wondering if a 52 or 58mm telephoto converter lens would work (with the appropriate step-up ring). I'm thinking that the 58mm would be better (allow more light into lens), but that the camera may have trouble focusing since the lens is so big.

Any help would be appreciated! :D

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2004
    BrianJR wrote:
    Newb here...nice site you have here!

I have an HP945 digital camera with a 55mm lens adapter tube. This adapter is great for filters (UV, polarizer) but the number of lens options (telephoto, wide angle) is limited. So, I was wondering if a 52 or 58mm telephoto converter lens would work (with the appropriate step-up ring). I'm thinking that the 58mm would be better (allow more light into lens), but that the camera may have trouble focusing since the lens is so big.

Any help would be appreciated! :D
    Hi Brian,
    Welcome to the site although I'm not qualified to answer your question this is definitely the right place to get info.. Give it a couple of days and someone more qualified in this field will help you out..
    thumb.gif Lynn
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2004
    Hi Brian,

That's an interesting question. Pretty much any accessory lens you attach to your camera will decrease the amount of light getting through. But maybe you already knew that!

It's not really a function of the accessory tube - it's a function of the additional lens. You're now putting a second piece of glass in front of your original lens, and that's always going to cut down the amount of light that gets through to your sensor.

Your camera will be able to focus with any lens, if you can get the right attachment. A real issue is how much usable image will you have? Will there be a lot of vignetting through much of the zoom range, as the result of the camera shooting through the tube?

On my Canon G3 the wide angle lens is great, but the telephoto can only use the last 2/3 of the camera's zoom - anything wider has serious vignetting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2004
    Hey Brian,

Sid pretty much stated what I was thinking. Take a look at the scopetronix website. They build adapters for using telescopes with digicams. Although that's not exactly what you're talking about, their products deal with some of the issues you're likely to run into.

As for the 58 or 52mm issue. I would think that the 58mm would be the way to go. The 52 would probably have horrible vignetting.