Options

Something that makes you feel good!

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited January 27, 2009 in The Big Picture
Last night we held a silent auction at one of the local restaurants to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I donated four 12x18 prints and a local frame shop donated the matting and mounting. All four sold, which obviously was the point of the donation. :D

Now what made me feel on top of the world? you ask. A true bidding war broke out over one of the prints. For all 60 items up for auction, the minimum bid increase was in $5 increments. Imagine my shock when this particular print was jumping in $25 increments with people hovering over it right up till the final second. It was an amazing feeling seeing people fight over something that you created. :ivar

I just had to share because 1.) the members of this forum have pushed me to improve to the point that I was able to experience such a feeling and 2.) Smugmug/EZ Prints absolutely rocked all 4 in gorgeous metallic prints! Thanks y'all!:barb

Oh, here is the one btw...

440257920_GzYbx-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    That is fantastic Travis! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif congrats! you have to tell us what the winning bid was? mwink.gif

Winston
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 26, 2009
    Well done, Travis, both the pic and the gesture. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2009
    $225 was the final bid. The pier holds a lot of history for VA Beach. It's hard to meet a local for the last 3 generations that hasn't danced on the bar in Ocean Eddies. The bar closed its doors for the last time this past October and will be sadly missed.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 26, 2009
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    That's awesome news, Travis. thumb.gif

I hope training is going as well, too.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Wow Well done !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Wow, congratulations! Beautiful work!!!

And thank you for helping raise money for that organization. My older sister died of leukemia when she was four years old and I was just a baby. I never knew her.

Thank you again and thanks for inspiring us with your success.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    Thanks y'all. The training is going well after being hampered with a couple of injuries (4-weeks of physical therapy) but I'm back on track with under 8-weeks to go. More importantly due to the outstanding generosity of many people (including several fellow DGrinners clap.gif ), we are well on our way to achieving our target goal. Again, I can't stress enough how much this community has helped me grow in my photography which in turn has generated additional $$$ for the cause. I love this place!
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Wow, what a great idea! We are going to have a gala with an auction to raise money for a children's ballet company and I wouldn't have thought of donating a print or two. Thanks for the idea and congratulations on the bidding war...
    geoff
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    Wow, what a great idea! We are going to have a gala with an auction to raise money for a children's ballet company and I wouldn't have thought of donating a print or two. Thanks for the idea and congratulations on the bidding war...

Definitely hit up the local frame shops as well. They couldn't afford to provide framing for each but they were more than happy to mount and mat the photos, placing them in protective plastic sleeves with their business card in included. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yea, that would make a real nice day. Congrats Travis...most excellent :ivar
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Well I am not surprised.

It is a beautiful photograph that , historical significance aside, appears to have been handled very well before and after the press of the shutter. The historical significance of course makes it sentimental to the locals and therefore valuable.

I'm excited for you!!! and especially for the "good cause".

Now, have you given thought to a signed and numbered limited print series?

Maybe a couple local art galleries or gift shops could consign?.....and I bet local resturants and bars would buy them up pretty quick as well.

Just a thought!:D
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    WTG Travis!

That was one of my favorite places to visit while at VA Beach.
    Sorry to hear it's gone:cry
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Now, have you given thought to a signed and numbered limited print series?

Maybe a couple local art galleries or gift shops could consign?.....and I bet local resturants and bars would buy them up pretty quick as well.

Just a thought!:D

I've been doing something similar by offering a different print of the VB Pier in either 4x10 or 8x20 depending on donation amount. They are all signed and #'d. There are a couple of members in the dgrin community that own a copy, though it is a small token to give for their amazing generosity. thumb.gif Haven't thought about the restaurant and bars... that's giving me some ideas. mwink.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Travis,

A couple of things, first congratulations!!! It's a fine image, and a good cause.

I took a look at your website, and on your home page slide show I saw an image of a young girl with white wings. I really liked this and wondered if you would share how you did this?

Sam
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 27, 2009
    You've done a nice thing thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Travis,

A couple of things, first congratulations!!! It's a fine image, and a good cause.

I took a look at your website, and on your home page slide show I saw an image of a young girl with white wings. I really liked this and wondered if you would share how you did this?

Sam

Sure Sam. I wrote it up in a new thread here http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1027118#post1027118 . It is from memory from ages ago but it should give you a good idea. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    WTG Travis!

That was one of my favorite places to visit while at VA Beach.
    Sorry to hear it's gone:cry

If you get down this way again, be sure to get in touch. We can do a photo walkabout. :D