Options

Need critique and feed back on these

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited May 10, 2005 in Landscapes
I would like some thoughts and critique on these. I'm going blind post processing. :D

These are all a little on the different side.

Sam

First one:

Comments

• Options
    edited May 9, 2005
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    Third one:

I really worked on this one, but just can't seem to get what I want.

Ok, I have had it for one day. I'm off to beddy-by.

Sam
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Hi Sam,

Note these are really more composition comments than Photoshop comments -- I tend to focus on the former more, and can miss things like proper exposure levels if I'm not *really* paying attention.

#1 I really like. Good composition, and the tree in the foreground gets your attention at the outsight, and then it's nice to spend lots of time looking at the cliff in the foreground. Very nice shot.

#2... Doesn't do much for me. Clouds, waterfall, pretty, but there's nothing that really makes me want to keep paying attention. It looks like a shot I'd expect to see wording for "come to our Lord of the Rings party" in the lower left hand corner mwink.gif

#3, I really like what you've done with the clouds -- they really "pop." You probably did some really good work with levels here... so I see you do have the photoshop skills you talked about when we were walking back from lower Yosemite yesterday. What I don't like, though, is the tree in the middle... it's out of place. Unfortunately, I know tunnel view has those darned trees everywhere that block parts of the shot and it's almost impossible to find a spot that's not obscured. Saturday morning I went to tunnel view with the group... looked around for 30 minutes, and took 1 shot, which was to the side, not even of the canyon, because I couldn't find a way to make something nice. Looks like you got this shot on Friday?
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2005
    CatOne wrote:
    Hi Sam,

Note these are really more composition comments than Photoshop comments -- I tend to focus on the former more, and can miss things like proper exposure levels if I'm not *really* paying attention.

#1 I really like. Good composition, and the tree in the foreground gets your attention at the outsight, and then it's nice to spend lots of time looking at the cliff in the foreground. Very nice shot.

#2... Doesn't do much for me. Clouds, waterfall, pretty, but there's nothing that really makes me want to keep paying attention. It looks like a shot I'd expect to see wording for "come to our Lord of the Rings party" in the lower left hand corner mwink.gif

#3, I really like what you've done with the clouds -- they really "pop." You probably did some really good work with levels here... so I see you do have the photoshop skills you talked about when we were walking back from lower Yosemite yesterday. What I don't like, though, is the tree in the middle... it's out of place. Unfortunately, I know tunnel view has those darned trees everywhere that block parts of the shot and it's almost impossible to find a spot that's not obscured. Saturday morning I went to tunnel view with the group... looked around for 30 minutes, and took 1 shot, which was to the side, not even of the canyon, because I couldn't find a way to make something nice. Looks like you got this shot on Friday?
    THank you for taking the time to privide me with your thoughts on these. I appreciate the time you took.

I think I got stuck on #2, but you are right abiut this one. It might work out with a text message or something else added.

After I win the lottery, I 'll donate a mill or two to the park and drop a hint to cut that damn offending tree down. :D

Thanks again,

Sam
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    It will be ok next trip as part of the eqiupment I am bring a sawsall it will help with comp. :D I like #1 also but you know that , I did try the same thing sort of -- but the others ne_nau.gif thanks for the work up on mine if you have a moment give me the reader digest of what you did [pm ] thanks for helping my shot thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    I'm all for different
    After all, I post a coffee cup :D

You were so lucky to get the swirling fog. I think my favorite is the one with the tree, there's all sorts of contrasts in light going on, the fog adds a lot to the photo -- I am NOT a big fan of black and white at all, but this one screams for a good B&W conversion! (Altho, I do like the color contrasts going on too).

The middle one doesn't really do it for me... and the last one is nice. I didn't even notice that darn tree. I have to check my rock shots... :):

It's really incredible how 39 people shot the same place so differently isn't it. I'm off to check the smugmug Yosemite album...