Options

New York and Miami in April ?

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited January 29, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
Do we have anyone from New York here on Dgrin ?

My brother is planning to spend his vacations in USA, New York and Miami. He is planning to visit in April 2nd to 13th. He need to know some cool must visit sights at New York and Miami. And what are good stores to visit and buying low price stuff. In April it is Easter is everything closed on Easter ? can he still enjoy and Shop :scratch
What is cheapest hotel in NewYork city and Miami ?

And one thing i need to know
Is there any camera store from where he can find good deal on Camera gear such as lenses :D
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    edited January 28, 2009
    bump headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Do we have anyone from New York here on Dgrin ?

My brother is planning to spend his vacations in USA, New York and Miami. He is planning to visit in April 2nd to 13th. He need to know some cool must visit sights at New York and Miami. And what are good stores to visit and buying low price stuff. In April it is Easter is everything closed on Easter ? can he still enjoy and Shop headscratch.gif
    What is cheapest hotel in NewYork city and Miami ?

And one thing i need to know
    Is there any camera store from where he can find good deal on Camera gear such as lenses :D

Awais: New York is so huge, there are hundreds of sights. I recommend he research online, as there is tons of info. My personal, don't miss sights are:

Empire State Building
    Times Square
    Central Park
    Metropolitan Museum of Art
    Guggenheim Museum
    New York Public Library
    Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island
    Intrepid Air and Space Museum (Aircraft Carrier)

Other areas of interest: 5th Avenue stores, Broadway (go see a play), Greenwich Village, South Street Seaport.

As for photo stores...well of course New York City is one of the best places for photo gear shopping. It is also somewhat expensive, as it has 10% tax added. I visit B&H almost exclusively, and a store visit is a wonder for a photographer, but maybe boring/overwhelming for anyone else. Adorama store is interesting, but doesn't beat B&H. Most of these will be open on Easter I suspect, in fact you will find much open around Easter, as it is very cosmopolitan.

Now Miami is quite a different place. No photostores in particular, so I would use New York for any photo stuff. For Miami, make sure you visit Ocean Drive/Art Deco area, which is right on the beach, and has lots of cool hotels and very many beautiful people. Dinner here is a must. Lincoln Road Mall is an interesting diversion for some nearby shopping. Trips to Little Havana and Coconut Grove are nice too. If you go to Little Havana, you must eat at Versailles restaraunt, my favorite experience.

Aside from that, Miami is about beach and sun, so finding a hotel on the beach is key, and there are thousands. My favorite Miami hotel is Doubletree Surfcomber Hotel Miami-South Beach, mostly because I have lots of Hilton points which gets me a free room. It is also right on the beach and walking distance to all of the South Beach attractions. If you can, a rental car down to some of the Keys is worth the trip as well.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2009
    Wow man great thanks for the information i will email to him. Actually when he saw DSLR stuff in Norway's store he fell in love with photography lol i hope he will learn to use point and shoot soon. :D

My Gallery
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    cmason wrote:

Now Miami is quite a different place. No photostores in particular, so I would use New York for any photo stuff. For Miami, make sure you visit Ocean Drive/Art Deco area, which is right on the beach, and has lots of cool hotels and very many beautiful people. Dinner here is a must. Lincoln Road Mall is an interesting diversion for some nearby shopping. Trips to Little Havana and Coconut Grove are nice too. If you go to Little Havana, you must eat at Versailles restaraunt, my favorite experience.

Aside from that, Miami is about beach and sun, so finding a hotel on the beach is key, and there are thousands. My favorite Miami hotel is Doubletree Surfcomber Hotel Miami-South Beach, mostly because I have lots of Hilton points which gets me a free room. It is also right on the beach and walking distance to all of the South Beach attractions. If you can, a rental car down to some of the Keys is worth the trip as well.

thumb.gif Great info. I'll be in Miami in May-- was just searching and ran across this thread. Thanks!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    I actually made the same trip a few years ago -- Miami to New York, but I did it in February and I did it in the wrong order (sunny Florida to a snowed in New York). I don't recommend that order in the winter.... eek7.gif

The people in this thread gave some really good suggestions; the spots in New York are pretty well known and there are tons of photos.

Maybe a few snapshots of Miami would be helpful?

1. Ocean Drive is the place to be. -- art deco
    136372966_GFweM-M-2.jpg

2. And the beach is just a few steps away from Ocean Drive.
    136373547_M8vpU-M-2.jpg

3. Palm trees. Palm trees and more palm trees.
    136373242_5PYEw-M-2.jpg

4. And you too can buy a statue of Jesus at 50% on Lincoln Ave
    136372082_dQHud-M-2.jpg

5. And you might even see a model shoot as well on Lincoln
    136372640_5f9qJ-M-2.jpg

If there is time, visit the everglades... It's so worth it!

6 Wild life
    136524615_uMiGV-M-2.jpg

7. Amazing place -- like a different world
    136527372_aonev-M-2.jpg