Options

Grand Canyon in April

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited January 29, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
My wife needs to be in Las Vegas in early April - I have no desire to return to Las Vegas but she says we can have one side trip to Grand Canyon. So Im kinda excited about going ( never been there ). Any suggestions where i want to "stay" - South Rim? I'll have enough time to be there for a sunset and a sunrise. Someone suggested "National Geographic Sunrise / Sunset Photography tours"?
I'm bringing my 40D w/ 17-55 IS, 10-22 and 100-400. Is this enough? What about filters / polarizers? Suggestions please!

Troy

Comments

• Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    We were there in December and I can't imagine that spending a penny on a tour would be worth it in April...unless they are taking you somewhere other than the generally accessable vantage points.

It's an easy drive and the vantage points are wide open.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 25, 2009
    Hi Troy,

First the easy part. The lens kit is perfect. A tripod might be nice if you're doing any night shots or HDRs. A polarizer is a must. A GND might be nice, I dunno, I don't have one yet.

Lodging, not sure. You probably want to stay in the park at the south rim, I would imagine. Book now though. Go here, and there are numbers to call for lodging.

That being said, I think there are more interesting places that are less of a drive from Vegas. You could do both Zion and Bryce for example. Goblin Valley is great. Go to Page, AZ and take in Lower and or Upper Antelope Canyon, and hit Horseshoe Bend. The grand canyon gets boring very quickly. I don't think I've ever posted a shot from there. I always feel like Chevy Chase in Vacation. "There it is! Ok, let's go". rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Hi Troy,

First the easy part. The lens kit is perfect. A tripod might be nice if you're doing any night shots or HDRs. A polarizer is a must. A GND might be nice, I dunno, I don't have one yet.

Lodging, not sure. You probably want to stay in the park at the south rim, I would imagine. Book now though. Go here, and there are numbers to call for lodging.

That being said, I think there are more interesting places that are less of a drive from Vegas. You could do both Zion and Bryce for example. Goblin Valley is great. Go to Page, AZ and take in Lower and or Upper Antelope Canyon, and hit Horseshoe Bend. The grand canyon gets boring very quickly. I don't think I've ever posted a shot from there. I always feel like Chevy Chase in Vacation. "There it is! Ok, let's go". rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

:thwak

Grand Canyon is one of those places where you either marvel at it or you are like kdog. ne_nau.gif I have to admit it can be very tough to photograph though. It is one of those places that is very difficult to capture with a camera and unless you are blessed with some dramatic clouds it is often victim of the Southwest haze and gets washed out.

If you go don't stay in the village unless you can get a great deal. There are hotels in Tusayan which is about 10 minutes outside of the park.

If you have time for a 3 day trip I would recommend making a loop of the South Rim, Page AZ, Bryce, and Zion- then back to Vegas.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion