Options

Yosemite Post critique wanted.

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited May 11, 2005 in Landscapes
I did quite a bit of post on this one. Stuff way over my head. I was fumbling around pretty good with it. It was shot in raw, processed for the highlights in one exposure, for shadows in the other, layered together and blended. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I wanted to play a bit more so I added a gradient layer to the sky to punch up the clouds a bit. It put some wierd angled banding on the sky, so I selected just the sky and used gausian blur on it at a very low setting just to eliminate the banding

Let me know what you think.

21777346-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    ok when did you guys get the rainbow ?? it looks great thumb.gifthumb.gif

?/
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    it's tricky tricky work you're doing - and you did an ok but not perfect job imo.. i can see blending evidence around the trees... the sky looks a bit hinky i think, and the river bank looks a bit too bright vis a vis the rest of the scene.

can you linky the unprocessed jpeg and we'll have some fun with it... pm is fine or put it here..either way

lovely scene though - has loads of potential.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I did quite a bit of post on this one. Stuff way over my head. I was fumbling around pretty good with it. It was shot in raw, processed for the highlights in one exposure, for shadows in the other, layered together and blended. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I wanted to play a bit more so I added a gradient layer to the sky to punch up the clouds a bit. It put some wierd angled banding on the sky, so I selected just the sky and used gausian blur on it at a very low setting just to eliminate the banding

Let me know what you think.

21777346-L.jpg
    I like the top part. Gradient layer to punch up the clouds.....huuuum...I'll try and figure that one out since I have soo many cloudy foggy shots.

Here is the way I see your photo, but please note I do see the world differently. :D
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's tricky tricky work you're doing - and you did an ok but not perfect job imo.. i can see blending evidence around the trees... the sky looks a bit hinky i think, and the river bank looks a bit too bright vis a vis the rest of the scene.

can you linky the unprocessed jpeg and we'll have some fun with it... pm is fine or put it here..either way

lovely scene though - has loads of potential.

Here is a straight jpeg conversion from the raw original. No adjustments in RAW, No Adjustments in JPG.

21780717-L.jpg

HERE is a link to the original size if you want to play with it.
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Here is a straight jpeg conversion from the raw original. No adjustments in RAW, No Adjustments in JPG.

21780717-L.jpg

HERE is a link to the original size if you want to play with it.

Here's an attempt to see if you might want to take it in this direction.

-Shadow/highlight (not a cure-all, but can be useful) about 11% shadows 2% highlights
    -burn the bright riverbank
    -levels layer 0, 0.9, 213
    -hue/sat layer - master +40 - mask off all but the rainbow and the blue in the sky (I did a real quickie mask, it probably isn't the best). +40 might be a bit much for your taste - I didn't see any clipping so I pushed it hard.

I'm sure there's more that can be done, but this might be a start for you. I didn't like the sky gradient. Hope you can get it where you want it.
  • Options
    JubbaKingJubbaKing Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Cool shot! I didn't even know how I wanted to represent the scene so I just did a bunch of levels, curves, masking, color balance, dodgine and burning, slight contrast masking, shadow recovery, etc. Nothin' big.

yosemps.jpg
    Nate Grant: Living Legend
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Brian,

that's a beautiful capture!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts