> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 6, 2008
    To all above: Please have some patience this week.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    To all above: Please have some patience this week.

Sitting back :cavig
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • micalngelomicalngelo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    In regards to the latest challenge #15 Family or Strangers- does the EXIF info for "basic" suffice ( date taken and modified ).
    I've taken a TIFF file, PP it and it only shows "basic" and not "detailed" info'

Thanks in advance
    Michael
    micalngelo.smugmug.com

micalngelo
    _________

“The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.”
  • TCEckelsTCEckels Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    A couple days ago I had several posts here about EXIF data and PSP. I came here today to add to it and it seems all my posts and the responses are gone! I don't know if they were moved somewhere else or simply removed but either way I'd appreciate knowing why???

Tc
    ==================================================
    People will tell you where they’ve gone
    They’ll tell you where to go
    But until you get there yourself, you never really know
    Where some have found their paradise, others just come to harm.

Ameila – Joni Mitchell 1976
    Visit Eckels Island on the Net:
    http://eckelsisland.bravehost.com/index.html
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    TCEckels wrote:
    A couple days ago I had several posts here about EXIF data and PSP. I came here today to add to it and it seems all my posts are gone! I don't know if they were moved somewhere else or simply removed but either way I'd appreciate knowing why???

Tc

I think your answer is about half or so through this thread...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=115223
  • TCEckelsTCEckels Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I think your answer is about half or so through this thread...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=115223

Geez, and I'm suppose to know this how? Wouldn't make sense if you're going to move a series of posts somewhere else to make a post that lets folks know where they went to?? I'd like to think I"m not an idiot but I can't even find where my posts were moved to unless I follow the link provided above. How would I know where posts have been stuck??? Are they even in this forum any longer or have they been moved somewhere else entirely??? <sigh>

BTW.....thanks for the lead Jeff.

Tc
    People will tell you where they’ve gone
    They’ll tell you where to go
    But until you get there yourself, you never really know
    Where some have found their paradise, others just come to harm.

Ameila – Joni Mitchell 1976
    Visit Eckels Island on the Net:
    http://eckelsisland.bravehost.com/index.html
    edited December 28, 2008
    TCEckels wrote:
    Geez, and I'm suppose to know this how?
    Well, it would show up right in your user control panel, and you're automatically subscribed to the new thread so you would get emails with links directly to the thread (unless you've changed your defaults).
    Wouldn't make sense if you're going to move a series of posts somewhere else to make a post that lets folks know where they went to??
    Maybe. But (a) if I did that every time I moved something, this forum would be full of nothing but 'redirect' posts. And (b) I wouldn't have time to do much else. Sorry TC, please don't take it personally, but my job is basically to push a mop around this place. I'm a janitor, not everyone's tour guide.
    I'd like to think I"m not an idiot but I can't even find where my posts were moved to unless I follow the link provided above. How would I know where posts have been stuck??? Are they even in this forum any longer or have they been moved somewhere else entirely???
    You should give the "YOU" button a try:
    20081228-qydc4bgk9g5533cytscks9yeek.render.png
    <sigh>
    And anything and everything you might want to know about Dgrin can be found here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18703

</sigh>
    Erik

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Emily, would you mind letting me know if this watermark is to big?

443948252_RdJ6D-XL-1.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Emily, would you mind letting me know if this watermark is to big?

443948252_RdJ6D-XL-1.jpg

It's fine with me. thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Size
    Has the requirement changed for the size of an image? It seems that in the voting gallery many of he images were larger than 800px.

Thanks/peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
    edited January 13, 2009
    pemmett wrote:
    Has the requirement changed for the size of an image? It seems that in the voting gallery many of he images were larger than 800px.

Thanks/peter
    There is no requirement. See the updated rules. You'll notice distinct lack of mention about sizes.
    Erik

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    You beat me to it, Erik. :D

Good to see you here again, Peter. Since the challenge entries got moved to their own gallery, size no longer is an issue. But exif still is. You need to make sure that when you save your photo that the exif does not get stripped. For example, in PS or PSE, you need to use File > Save As to save your file to your computer rather than File > Save for Web.
    edited January 13, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    You beat me to it, Erik. :D
    Yeah, well, its kinda my job.
    Erik

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Teeny-tiny, unimportant housekeeping suggestion/request:

Is there any chance that the link to the round's gallery could be included in the poll post as well as the feedback thread? While obviously it's not exactly a hardship to find it and click on the url in the other posts, it would be kinda nice to have it in the voting thread too for instant gratification and convenience purposes (I sometimes like to go back and look at comments, some of the other entries at that time etc etc).

Obviously, this is ENTIRELY for our convenience and of no actual *import* whatsoever, but just figured I'd throw it out as a suggestion. (Yeah, yeah Doc - I'm just waiting for the "You want your MOMMY to do it for you!" post, but I have strong shoulders... I can ::cower:: :hide and stand up :bncry.gif :cry to the ::tremble:: humiliation :smack) :D
    edited January 13, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    "You want your MOMMY to do it for you!"
    Luckily, there is a nice "mommy" around here, and she posted this a full minute before you asked this question.

Like, get with it, would'ya? rolleyes1.gif
    Erik

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Luckily, there is a nice "mommy" around here, and she posted this a full minute before you asked this question.

Like, get with it, would'ya? rolleyes1.gif

What, you mean while I was, like, writing and couldn't see it? rolleyes1.gif Ah, netlague.......

And actually, point remains - it would still be kinda neat if it was in the polling thread too since that one's a sticky.

I will now slink my lazy, click-challenged self off and leave the decision-making to Ms Jeckyll and Dr Hyde ::uhoh lol3.gif
  • carneyccarneyc Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Question
    I have two questions.
    What is maximum size.
    I also noticed this about a signature (see below), is it meant to sign on the photo it self?

"A small signature and copyright at the bottom of the image are encouraged"

Thanks
    Chris
    Just waking up and having fun........
    edited January 14, 2009
    carneyc wrote:
    I have two questions.
    What is maximum size.
    Whatever you want.

(I just answered in more detail about 5 posts before this one, scroll up).
    I also noticed this about a signature (see below), is it meant to sign on the photo it self?

"A small signature and copyright at the bottom of the image are encouraged'
    yes. and stress on "encouraged" not "required"

there are many examples in the Dgrin gallery, click below in my (post) signature.
    Erik

• carneyccarneyc Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Thanks
    Well thank you Doctor It................:D
    Just waking up and having fun........
    edited January 29, 2009
    calibrated monitors?

do you do it? if not do you at least reset your monitor to factory settings once in awhile?

i feel its quite necessary to have a really nice monitor...
    (to really do a photograph justice.)

i learned a lession not too long ago.... i have a few computer systems i view dgrin at one point of the day or the other...and sometimes more than once a day...
    anyway i know i have two bad monitors and one really good one that i calibrate often (every two weeks) ... so sometimes when i go from a crappy system to my nice system i am surprised by the difference a photograph shows... and i regret once it burned me...
    i was really excited to judge a mini-challenge round, and hadnt looked at any of the entries until it was time to judge, so the time came and i selected my top five before looking at the whole gallery on my good system.... i didnt really think it was that important i guess...well sorry to say once i got on my nice system i discovered one image was grossly over-looked when on my crap system i just glazed over it, over and over and it didnt make my top five... im not saying it would have won that challenge or not but it should have be considered for the win. my crap monitor did not show me what potental it had...

my point. ?? i think your missing out if not taking your monitor viewing seriously.

when you hear somebody say "i got to look at this on my calibrated monitor at home" there is a real reason behind that, and if you havent seen it first hand then you might not really think its important and i just wanted to point that out to everyone.

what are your thoughts?
    Aaron Nelson
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    calibrated monitors?

do you do it? if not do you at least reset your monitor to factory settings once in awhile?

{SNIP}

what are your thoughts?

Yes I calibrate! In fact I have two monitors My Main LCD and my trusty 19" CRT one is calibrated for printing the other is calibrated for viewing and I like to view a photo on both, I also like to look at what a photo looks like on my mac screen as well.

You are so... right that it makes a BIG difference.

I never reset my monitor back to factory settings because that's just too darn bright for proper photographic viewing, most LCD monitors need to be below 50% brightness and contrast to get anything half decent.
    I have always considered purchasing a pro "puck" calibration tool but the one I tried a few years back failed miserably so I'm wary about spending $300+. I'm betting it would take things s step further though.
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Ive read the rules, and can't find it so....Is nudity allowed in the DSS Challenges? Thanks in Advance!!
    edited January 30, 2009
    DeuceFour wrote:
    Ive read the rules, and can't find it so....Is nudity allowed in the DSS Challenges? Thanks in Advance!!
    You bring up a good point - there has always been an understood rule at Dgrin that we like to err on the side of "overly family-friendly". However, we have recently added a forum called "Go Figure" primarily for nude studies.

My answer (for now, I'm working on adding an explicit rule to the Dgrin Rules) is to read the "Go-Figure" guidelines, and if you feel the photo you want to enter in the challenges falls under that special forum, then I would ask you not submit for DSS.

clear?
    Erik

• DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Yep thats what I figured. Sounds good to me! Thanx.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    Okay, folks, I'm reviving this because I want feedback. I want to keep things fun, and challenging, so I want to hear what you feel works and what might be improved to keep these challenges hopping. :D

While I can't promise to implement all suggestions, I do promise to listen. So let's hear what you've got. ear.gif
    Anonymous Entries would be cool....
    Aaron Nelson
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    The entry thread this round made me remember this suggestion. I think there should be a clear stance on the self-vote for contests. Make it unambiguous. Either everyone is encouraged to self-vote, no one in the running votes, or no one votes for themselves.

I've seen many different policies online. I don't think it really matters which (although the no voting if you're in the running makes the most sense to me), but I think there should be one.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
    Anonymous Entries would be cool....

15524779-Ti.gif - Other than this most likely creating a ton more work for our already over worked volunteer moderators. I too would love to see this implemented.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    sherstone wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif - Other than this most likely creating a ton more work for our already over worked volunteer moderators. I too would love to see this implemented.

Do ya'll mean to the judges or everyone?
    If everyone, How could ever be truely anonymous when almost everyone uses the threads for feedback though. Just a thought, not trying to argue it. It would be great if it could.
    dnie wrote:
    Do ya'll mean to the judges or everyone?
    If everyone, How could ever be truely anonymous when almost everyone uses the threads for feedback though. Just a thought, not trying to argue it. It would be great if it could.

Good point - truly being anonymous would require that an entrant does not solicit feedback in the general community thread which does go against the spirit of this community. That being taken into account, since I know how easy it is as a judge to not see the photographers name when judging, does kind of make the request moot. rolleyes1.gif

On top of all that, some photographers styles are so well defined that at times you can tell who shot it anyway. In this last round I was unable to guess who shot each image so that too may be an irrelevant thought. ne_nau.gif