SunPak 622 pro

captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited February 9, 2009 in Accessories
I'm continually on the search for a better light source. For cave photography it's hard to beat flash bulbs- large amount of light and slow burn time really works well for large areas and the output/weight ratio is good for packing in your cave pack. Since nobody manufactures the regular flash bulb anymore though we're dealing with a finite supply. I've experimented with several small flash units and even adapted small 110v studio slaves to battery for portable use. 86099959_zcAB5-L-4.jpg
With some pretty good results.

But still hadn't found a great portable light. I picked up a used Sunpak 622 and I think I've found the light! :)

Here's a shot taken with a couple of regular flashes.
463798815_MUFUk-M-1.jpg

Same camera settings with the 622
463799543_695fw-M-1.jpg

Another shot without the 622
463800799_szJPo-M-1.jpg

and with the 622
463800380_RKUQC-M-1.jpg

So far I'm very happy with this flash. Anyone else have some good flash suggestions?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,064 moderator
    edited January 30, 2009
    captnemo wrote:

Anyone else have some good flash suggestions?

Similar to the Sunpak 622 in output, I have a bunch of Sunpak 611 handle mount flashes. They are unusable, and even dangerous, attached directly to a modern digital camera (very high trigger voltage), but they provide a lot of punch for a very low used purchase price. (GN 160 @ ISO 100 with a large enough coverage for a 35mm lens on full-frame 35mm camera.)

I have adapted the 611 flashes to use AA rechargeable batteries for a very economical power source, but I also use C cells occasionally.

You can also "gang" old Vivitar 283 (but I think the coverage of the 283 is more like that of a 50mm lens) and 285/285HV flashes in a cluster and use a slave to set off the cluster. Make sure that the trigger voltage is the same for each flash of the cluster. 4 - Vivitar 283 flashes will yield a total GN 240 and that's not bad. (2 - Vivitar 283 flashes will yield a total GN 168.)

You can also use cumulative multiple flash pops and a long time exposure on the camera for very large caves. "Painting with light" is a creative alternative with this technique. Balancing the illumination throughout the cave can be easier with a series of pops as opposed to one burst of light.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Similar to the Sunpak 622 in output, I have a bunch of Sunpak 611 handle mount flashes. They are unusable, and even dangerous, attached directly to a modern digital camera (very high trigger voltage), but they provide a lot of punch for a very low used purchase price. (GN 160 @ ISO 100 with a large enough coverage for a 35mm lens on full-frame 35mm camera.)

I have adapted the 611 flashes to use AA rechargeable batteries for a very economical power source, but I also use C cells occasionally.

You can also "gang" old Vivitar 283 (but I think the coverage of the 283 is more like that of a 50mm lens) and 285/285HV flashes in a cluster and use a slave to set off the cluster. Make sure that the trigger voltage is the same for each flash of the cluster. 4 - Vivitar 283 flashes will yield a total GN 240 and that's not bad. (2 - Vivitar 283 flashes will yield a total GN 168.)

You can also use cumulative multiple flash pops and a long time exposure on the camera for very large caves. "Painting with light" is a creative alternative with this technique. Balancing the illumination throughout the cave can be easier with a series of pops as opposed to one burst of light.

Yeah, I have a couple of vivitar 283's that I use with wein slaves as well as a couple of other small flashes, but for larger spaces I'm really looking for more output. For instance this shot would not have been possible with just "painting with light"- my vivitar wouldn't even reach the ceiling :)
    149123193_kod9G-M-1.jpg
    Thank goodness Dave Bunnell had brought along flash bulbs :) Now if I'd had a couple 622's we might have been able to get decent results with strobes. Course I might not like hauling all those c cells in my pack.
    edited February 5, 2009
    So I got a chance to try out the sunpak622 in a 'real world' situation last weekend. The cave we visited was a little small for such a flash but I still thought it did a decent job, good thing it can be dialed down as much as it can (1/128 power)
    466832997_nfVS8-M.jpg
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Wow!!! That cave shot is amazing!
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Scott McLeod PhotoScott McLeod Photo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    I have a few 622's and yes they are powerful. If you haven't done so already I would recommend a couple packs of rechargeable NiMh and a recharger. I can't imagine the $$'s it has saved me versus having to buy C cells.
    WTB: 1GB and 512k CF cards.
    I have a need for a decent # of these smaller cards. If you have multiple cards that would be great. I am located at zip code 35243 & 35255.
    edited February 9, 2009
    I have a few 622's and yes they are powerful. If you haven't done so already I would recommend a couple packs of rechargeable NiMh and a recharger. I can't imagine the $$'s it has saved me versus having to buy C cells.

Yes, I have a charger already (I use c-cells in my petzl helmet light, but I need to pick up a few more c-cells now)
    edited February 9, 2009
    MDalby wrote:
    Wow!!! That cave shot is amazing!
    Thanks- I presume you mean the one in Guatemala?(though I thought the loal one came out pretty good :) )