Options

Nikon 70-200 VR on Full Frame D700

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited February 9, 2009 in Cameras
I did a quick test with the 70-200 Vr on the D700. There is noticeable vignetting when used on FF sensors. A batch process through DXO fixes it pretty good. These were not cropped and shot in JPG.

Before shot at 2.8 and 200mm
465001653_84ReM-XL.jpg

After with DXO

465003722_dtG3L-XL.jpg

Before at 2.8 and 200mm

465001173_yXb62-XL.jpg

After with DXO
465003454_d4KXT-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Thanks for doing this test!

I came to Nikon from Canon precisely because I got tired of doing hours of PP work. I've been shooting JPG ever since I got D3. I would not buy a lens now knowing it requires PP. These test shots remind me of the results I was getting with 24-105 on 5D. 24-105 is an awesome lens just not on a FF 5D -- it worked great on 20D when I had it. Nikon needs to step up to the plate -- this is one one of the most important focal lengths and they fall short with it on FF.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    Thanks for doing this test!

I came to Nikon from Canon precisely because I got tired of doing hours of PP work. I've been shooting JPG ever since I got D3. I would not buy a lens now knowing it requires PP. These test shots remind me of the results I was getting with 24-105 on 5D. 24-105 is an awesome lens just not on a FF 5D -- it worked great on 20D when I had it. Nikon needs to step up to the plate -- this is one one of the most important focal lengths and they fall short with it on FF.

DXO is done in batch, it's an automatic correction, and takes like 1 minute to set up. This will not be noticed on 99% of the shots you take. This PP is not time consuming. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    DXO is done in batch, it's an automatic correction, and takes like 1 minute to set up. This will not be noticed on 99% of the shots you take. This PP is not time consuming. rolleyes1.gif

Care to elaborate (aka. educate the clueless) about 'DXO' and how you have it set up in the PP? thanks! :D
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2009
    Well, DXO has a trial version you can use and try yourself. http://www.dxo.com/us/photo/trial_version

The setup is selecting the images and selecting an output for the edited images. The corrections for vignetting are done automatically.

Curves, WB, USM, Cropping, saturation etc can be done too if more editing is reguired.
  • Options
    ban25ban25 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    An alternative to shooting this lens wide open in broad daylight would be to stop it down a bit. Then you won't have to waste time in front of a computer trying to fix some barely noticeable falloff.
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    ban25 wrote:
    An alternative to shooting this lens wide open in broad daylight would be to stop it down a bit. Then you won't have to waste time in front of a computer trying to fix some barely noticeable falloff.

This is shocking information! lol3.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    ban25 wrote:

I use DXO as my photo editor because I don't like to spend too much time in front of the computer.

I agree this isn't a real issue with this lens and camera. There are myths out there about how bad this lens is on FF and it really isn't an issue and if it is to some, it's very easy to correct.