Mini-Challenge #69 -- Lyrics *Winner*

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited February 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are the results for Mini-Challenge #69 -- Lyrics

There were a *ton* of great photos (and even some pretty good songs!) and I'd like to thank everyone who participated by uploading and/or commenting on the photos for this challenge. Ranking them is highly arbitrary. A lot of photos I liked didn't even get into the honorable mentions. I basically downloaded all of the photos, put them in Bridge, and then painfully iterated over them.

On to the results!

Honorable mentions:

465381473_CJ6QX-L.jpg

#5: psenior1 - "My Girl" (Temptations). Cute kid, great photo! I love the treatment on this shot.

454414954_C4n2F-M-1.jpg

#4: Karrie McD - Wind Beneath My Wings (Bette Midler). A perfect composition, that's hard enough, but to do it at such a great setting at the right time too! Not that I know anything about marketing or selling photos, but this to me would seem to be a very commercially viable photo.

257156083_dGXce-L-4.jpg

#3 KevXMan - Casey Jones (The Grateful Dead). Riding that train... I've always wanted to take a shot like this. Great conversion, composition, and timing with the train coming around the bend. Incidentally, of the top-5, this was my favorite song :D

449624975_X8KLw-L-1.jpg

#2: AaronNelson "The Day That Never Comes" (Metallica). I won't pick on Aaron for choosing the new Metallica when everyone knows that they peaked with Master of Puppets, though I will say I think the genre is very appropriate for this shot. This is a great photo with some excellent post processing (backlit shots like this are *hard* and you pulled it off). I'm a sucker for landscapes and this one is fantastic. Incredibly dramatic skies and setting. I have a feeling this photo is even better when viewed at an appropriately large size.

457249318_WAt7U-XL-1.jpg

And the winner...

#1: grimace - "Fly Like an Eagle" - Steve Miller Band. I actually thought there was a good chance someone might pick this song for this contest :D

I could go on describing what I like about this photo all day long, but it basically has every element: excellent iconic subject, great dramatic action, amazing warm/golden light, strong composition, excellent detail on the subject, and technically perfect in terms of focus and sharpness. That fish did not die in vain!

457065657_BtrLE-L-1.jpg

So congrats grimace/Adam! Mini-Challenge #70 is now awaiting your topic.

Benjer offered some great ideas in the challenge thread for future challenges in case you're having trouble coming up with something:

"Then again, there's always the old standby "Rogue Zoo Animal Attacks in Southeast Asia" or "3D Sub-Atomic Particle Electron Macro-photometry," but why even go there when "Aerial Pinhole Camera Extreme Sports Fashion Disasters" is so obvious?" -- Benjer

Comments

• psenior1psenior1 Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    A fantastic set of entries and a very worthy winner! I'm honoured to get a mention, thank you!
    website - http://www.snrmac.com
    facebook - my facebook page please LIKE me!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    bowdown.gif A-men to the comment about a fantastic set of entries! Congrats to everyone!
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Thank you Ron for putting me in your top 5. It was such a fun theme with so many great submissions!

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Fun challenge, lots of great shots in the thread.
    Congrat's Adam.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Congratulations everyone! The winning image is just extraordinary. clap.gif :ivar thumb.gifwings.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

congrats Grimace

whats next?
    Aaron Nelson
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 1, 2009
    Congrates everyone! There were a lot of superb pictures!thumb.gif
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    davev wrote:
    Fun challenge, lots of great shots in the thread.
    Congrat's Adam.

Thanks Davev and everyone else for making this a fun mini challenge. There was no shortage of great entries on this one.
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Congrats to all. And as it has been said, this was a very fun Mini-Challenge round.

Thanks so much for the honorable mention and the very kind words about my hero photo.
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    congrats to everyone and yay i got my first honorable mention. i guess you have to start somewhere!
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Incredible turn out. Congrats to all of the winners, honorable mentions, and participants. No one looses.

Thanks for the honorable mention. ;-)

@ Arron

I thought your shot was going to win when I saw it.

But Grimace's shot is no slouch either. Great job everyone.

This site will bring out the best in you. On with the next mini!!!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    very kind words Frank & Ron, thank you! btw, those Eagles are always show stoppers! :D:D:D

so on to the next round!
    Aaron Nelson
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Really good topic combined with some excellent photos! Just sorry I didn't participate this round, seems time is in short supply these days! Hope to get back im soon! Loved the eagle too, great capture!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Wow, what amazing turnout for this fun topic - and so many amazing shots (and songs). Superb capture Grimace, a winner indeed - congrats! And thanks Ron for the hm of my silly entry. A very enjoyable round.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!