The Book to Buy if You Hate Learning from Books.

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited January 17, 2004 in Finishing School
Actually, not just one book, but any Photoshop book by Scott Kelby. I have a couple. They're filled with great advice, in an easy-to-follow format.

0735712360.01._PE30_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

0735712379.01._PE30_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

0735713006.01._PE30_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• MarcMarc Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2004
    I'm in 100% agreement with Waxy's comments above. Based on a fellow motorcyclist's recommendation, I sprung for The Adobe Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby ($27.99 @ Amazon.com with free shipping). In summary, this book is excellent.

I've had Photoshop now since version 6 and really hadn't scratched the surface. Sure, I had automated a bit of my workflow, but not really anything special - mostly due to the intimidating array of options, tools, etc. After reading the excellent introduction (something I usually don't do in most books), I jumped in and tried the "teeth whitening" recipe on p. 208 on a certain family member who shall remain namless. It worked! Now, I know more about the lasso tool, feathering, and the Hue/Saturation menu (something I had never explored in the past). This is exactly what I was looking for; a cookbook of "how-to's" that, once learned, can be a starting point for further exploration.

I give this book my highest recommendation. It's the perfect learning tool for me.

Marc
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    You know, I think your last sentence is an important one. It's perfect for how I like to learn things, too. Whereas I suspect Baldy reads the chunky textbook and crunches the info into practice. bowdown.gif

I need to learn Curves. It seems terribly crude to me, at least when I've messed around with it. But I keep reading about how it's the best way to play with the different parts of the image. Gotta learn it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2004
    Got it!
    I picked up the PSCS for DP book today at Borders - right now they have a 40% off deal that made it better than Amazon deal for me. And so far I am really impressed. Before seeing the book in person, I was worried that it would be heavy on the teaching Photoshop, which I did not need after using it for web stuff for so long. But, after speeding through a few chapters, I was more than satisfied with what I saw. Two big thumbs up! clap.gif