Assignment #58: Jewelry

2»

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    hi all!
    inspired by the reversed lens macro i decided to try some jewelry with it rolleyes1.gif
    Just an hour into trying to focus with it i got this. what do you think?

Thank you for the entry!
    As you have already probably learned, the things that are especially hard with the jewelry shots are:
    • focusing
    • lighting
    • background
    Your shot is indicative to all three of them. But don't despair! If my own experience is of any value, it takes WAY more than one hour to master this kind of shots...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    hi Nikolai!

thank you for your encouraging words! i just 'discovered' this technique and will be working on it the comming time but i thought it would be a nice to have a place to work from. i will try different things and when i feel things have progressed i will post them :D

BTW, i loved the vegetable and jewelry shots!! bowdown.gif haha
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I just recently noticed this assigment section. Hopefully I can participate more often.

"Jewelry" was up top when I checked earlier and seemed to be great to try out for my first assignment since it's coming a flood outside. This was also my first try shooting a ring. It didn't look so beat up when I took it off my finger :D

248941714-M.jpg

248941701-M.jpg
    edited January 30, 2008
    I just recently noticed this assigment section. Hopefully I can participate more often.

"Jewelry" was up top when I checked earlier and seemed to be great to try out for my first assignment since it's coming a flood outside. This was also my first try shooting a ring. It didn't look so beat up when I took it off my finger :D
    William, thank you for your entry, nice images!thumb.gif
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    191196182-L-1.jpg
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    edited January 31, 2008
    two rings
    Very nice, thank you, great entry!thumb.gif
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Very nice, thank you, great entry!thumb.gif

Yes, but I didn't read the rules first. This was taken a while ago...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    edited January 31, 2008
    Yes, but I didn't read the rules first. This was taken a while ago...
    oops... Well, hopefully you can make amends and take a fresh one! mwink.gif
  • lunadoeeyeslunadoeeyes Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    so happy I found this lesson. I have this to put up for the critique (raw and honest is great!) Also a question how to get a great shot of a clear crystal with very subtle colors? ne_nau.gif
    edited February 3, 2009
    so this is the necklace headscratch.gifne_nau.gifhuh rolleyes1.gif :cry
    edited February 3, 2009
    the first thing that caches my eye is the beads are dark. say what you will...I hang my head it looked better on my monitor
    edited February 3, 2009
    Luna,
    none of these entries can play any of the suggested roles. ne_nau.gif
    Please check the OP and let's try again... mwink.gif
  • AndrewTAndrewT Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Here are a couple I shot for a friend who designs jewelry.

214080615_zrdvx-L-1.jpg
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor AF-S 105 VR | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | SB-600 | Gitzo G1227 MK2 | Arca Swiss Z1 | Nikon P6000
  • AndrewTAndrewT Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Here are a few I shot for a friend who designs jewelry. Shooting jewelry is definitely challenging, but fun.

214080615_zrdvx-L-1.jpg

305218908_wkHGh-L-1.jpg

214078423_NJb7s-L.jpg
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor AF-S 105 VR | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | SB-600 | Gitzo G1227 MK2 | Arca Swiss Z1 | Nikon P6000
    edited February 3, 2009
    AndrewT wrote:
    Here are a few I shot for a friend who designs jewelry. Shooting jewelry is definitely challenging, but fun.
    Nice! Thank you!thumb.gif
  • Carolina_BlueCarolina_Blue Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Nik, I know you said jewelry is very difficult to shoot and in one other thread, you wrote that pearls were particularly difficult. Here are two attempts I made today. Both were shot against a black velvet backdrop with a table lamp on the left dimmed by a white cloth, and a stand lamp on the right. How could I make these better? Mild editing in PSE on levels but uncropped.

pearlstrand.jpg

f/6.3, 1 sec, ISO 100, focal length 23.1 mm

pearlpendant.jpg

f/8, 1/2 sec, ISO 100, focal length 18.3 mm
    edited May 30, 2009
    Nik, I know you said jewelry is very difficult to shoot and in one other thread, you wrote that pearls were particularly difficult. Here are two attempts I made today. Both were shot against a black velvet backdrop with a table lamp on the left dimmed by a white cloth, and a stand lamp on the right. How could I make these better? Mild editing in PSE on levels but uncropped.

f/6.3, 1 sec, ISO 100, focal length 23.1 mm

f/8, 1/2 sec, ISO 100, focal length 18.3 mm
    Carolina, I always thought pearls are white... Pearly-white, to be more specific ;-)
    Are these really copperish/yellowish/brownish? headscratch.gif
    edited May 30, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Carolina, I always thought pearls are white... Pearly-white, to be more specific ;-)
    Are these really copperish/yellowish/brownish? headscratch.gif

They are white, but not paper white. The lamps are yellow. I'll see if I can fix the white balance more or else shoot with natural light in the morning. I'll repost if there is an improvement.
    edited May 30, 2009
    They are white, but not paper white. The lamps are yellow. I'll see if I can fix the white balance more or else shoot with natural light in the morning. I'll repost if there is an improvement.
    One - amongst many - of the reasons why jewelry is very hard to shoot (well) is that the color accuracy should be immaculate. Please spend big bucks on those little things, and if a picture in a catalogue turns out to be even a bit off - it can end very bad quicker than you can say "white balance"...
    edited May 30, 2009
    ne_nau.gif Are you saying I should spend big bucks on lights?headscratch.gif

Or did you really mean that people who buy from ads spend big bucks on the little jewelry, and they better get what they bought?

Also, pearls come in yellow, pink, gold, gray and black too! Will shoot in the a.m. and see if they come out closer to white.
    edited May 30, 2009
    ne_nau.gif Are you saying I should spend big bucks on lights?headscratch.gif
    If you want to shoot jewelry professionally, I would think about something like that...
    Or did you really mean that people who buy from ads spend big bucks on the little jewelry, and they better get what they bought?
    Yes, primarily.
    Also, pearls come in yellow, pink, gold, gray and black too! Will shoot in the a.m. and see if they come out closer to white.
    I understand. That's exactly the problem. Precious gems can be pretty much of any color, so a good photo of such a gem must be very accurate - otherwise people may have a wrong idea...
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    She said yes...

550482692_iKqQM-L.jpg

550482641_m3ina-L.jpg
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
    edited May 31, 2009
    cbbr wrote:
    She said yes...

Thank you for the entry!

Shadow on the first one is really distracting. When shooting highkey, it's often advantageous to shoot jewelry on a transparent base, or somehow keep it off the ground completely. Or use the dome so there is no shadow...
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for the entry!

Shadow on the first one is really distracting. When shooting highkey, it's often advantageous to shoot jewelry on a transparent base, or somehow keep it off the ground completely. Or use the dome so there is no shadow...

Second try. I may have to set this one up again, it really is more difficult than it sounds.

550777673_tYkbw-L.jpg
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
    edited May 31, 2009
    cbbr wrote:
    Second try. I may have to set this one up again, it really is more difficult than it sounds.
    Better thumb.gif , but no cigar yet ne_nau.gif .
    Try some plexiglass/acrilic base. Or switch to darker material..
    And yes, it is difficult. deal.gif