Help. Tips for trip/cruise Alaska.

gdaddygdaddy Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited February 4, 2009 in Landscapes
Need tips: Going Alaska June 6th. Cruise Seattle to Juneau through Tracy Arm Fjord. Skagway, Ketchikan, Mendenhall Glacier, Victoria.
Polarizer or no? I will be using a canon 5d with a 24-105mm and a 70-200mm w/1.4tc. Do I need the 300mm? What about weather protection?
Any tips appreciated, especially if you have been there, done that.
Thanks,
gdaddy

Comments

• Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Lucky you. I love Juneau. When are you going? In Skagway, there is a GREAT pizza place if you're there in summer and like pizza. It's called Pizza Ria Roma 2 (or something like that). A guy named Freed owns it. Amazing pizza. I was just in Juneau for christmas break and used my polarizer all the time. But we somehow got sunshine, which is a very rare thing in southeast. Mendenhall Glacier is pretty cool, but if you're there in summer you can't get too close. So bring a long lens to get close to it. There is also a huge waterfall off to the right that is pretty cool. Plenty of places to walk around out there too. Do you have anything wider than the 24? I have that lens on a 50D and it was a little narrow (obviously though). But I had just got the 10-22 for christmas present and it barely came off my camera, it's amazing. So the 16-35 for the 5D would be phenomenal...I would definitely bring one of those plastic bag things with a draw string for the lens to wrap around your camera body. I only needed it one day because it was snowing something serious and my camera was just sitting on a tripod in one spot out in the open documenting some nature sculpture (andy goldswory-esque that a friend and I did http://candidartsphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/7128118_Z78X5#457145327_rkLY2). But if you are there in spring-fall, it will be raining. The last year I lived there, we had about two weeks of not rainy weather (notice I say not rainy instead of sunny). So most certianly bring a, at least, semi-waterproof bag and a cover for your camera and lens.

I would suggest the 300 as I'm sure there will be black bears and bald eagles that you'll want to capture. If you're going on any whale watching tours, you'll want it for that as well (P.S. if you do that, sign up at Allen Marine [they just bought out Four Seasons Marine last year :( sad day] and get the package where you go to their lodge on Colt Island for lunch (or dinner). It's a great salmon dinner and the keepers of the lodge and cooks are great.)

I could give you a bunch of other tips for in the area too if you'd like. OH, and if you have time in Skagway, you gotta take the train ride up into the Yukon. It's FANTASTIC!. There is so much good food in Skagway. Ketchikan is pretty fun as well. haven't been there since I was young, but it's a pretty sweet town and still know a few people there.

Hope this all helps somewhat.

Oh and p.s. I was born and raised in Juneau for 23 years...
  • gdaddygdaddy Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Lucky you. I love Juneau. When are you going? In Skagway, there is a GREAT pizza place if you're there in summer and like pizza. It's called Pizza Ria Roma 2 (or something like that). A guy named Freed owns it. Amazing pizza. I was just in Juneau for christmas break and used my polarizer all the time. But we somehow got sunshine, which is a very rare thing in southeast. Mendenhall Glacier is pretty cool, but if you're there in summer you can't get too close. So bring a long lens to get close to it. There is also a huge waterfall off to the right that is pretty cool. Plenty of places to walk around out there too. Do you have anything wider than the 24? I have that lens on a 50D and it was a little narrow (obviously though). But I had just got the 10-22 for christmas present and it barely came off my camera, it's amazing. So the 16-35 for the 5D would be phenomenal...I would definitely bring one of those plastic bag things with a draw string for the lens to wrap around your camera body. I only needed it one day because it was snowing something serious and my camera was just sitting on a tripod in one spot out in the open documenting some nature sculpture (andy goldswory-esque that a friend and I did http://candidartsphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/7128118_Z78X5#457145327_rkLY2). But if you are there in spring-fall, it will be raining. The last year I lived there, we had about two weeks of not rainy weather (notice I say not rainy instead of sunny). So most certianly bring a, at least, semi-waterproof bag and a cover for your camera and lens.

I would suggest the 300 as I'm sure there will be black bears and bald eagles that you'll want to capture. If you're going on any whale watching tours, you'll want it for that as well (P.S. if you do that, sign up at Allen Marine [they just bought out Four Seasons Marine last year :( sad day] and get the package where you go to their lodge on Colt Island for lunch (or dinner). It's a great salmon dinner and the keepers of the lodge and cooks are great.)

I could give you a bunch of other tips for in the area too if you'd like. OH, and if you have time in Skagway, you gotta take the train ride up into the Yukon. It's FANTASTIC!. There is so much good food in Skagway. Ketchikan is pretty fun as well. haven't been there since I was young, but it's a pretty sweet town and still know a few people there.

Hope this all helps somewhat.

Oh and p.s. I was born and raised in Juneau for 23 years...
    Very helpful. Good useful details. Thanks. Yes, Iwould like as much help, suggestions, tips, etc.. you are willing to share. If too much for this area please send me a private message or you can send the info to me at hmottejr@sc.rr.com. Thanks again for the very helpful information.
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    We did an Alaska cruise in 2006. Absolutely breathtaking! Although a bit wetter/mistier than I wanted. Polarizer would be helpful, but don't be surprised if mist/fog mess with you.

In Juneau, you should consider doing one of the helicopter trips. Pricey excursions, but OMG what an experience! Here's my pics from that portion of our trip (note these are before I learned about Lightroom, so the batch is not very well edited......):

http://tonyp.smugmug.com/gallery/1940436_rysPJ
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com