Options

Thanks for Yosemite!

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
edited May 12, 2005 in The Big Picture
I just wanted to thank Toni, Baldy, Onethumb and Andy for putting on a great
event in Yosemite.

I learned a tremendous amount and had a great time. Not to mention all the
new people I met. I hope some of what I learned shows in the shots I've posted.

Also a big thank you to Marc Muench for all of his help and for the great slide
show on Saturday. If you've not had a chance to look through his site, I'd urge
you to do so. muench photography

Thanks again for a wonderful time in a spectacular place. Hope to see you at the
next event!

Ian
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    I'll second that. What a great time, and so much learned. Like the waxy squat.

The people were all so awesome, and I really want to thank Marc for all the gracious help he gave.

Thank you smugmug!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Anyone who's interested, I can show you how the waxie squat goes. A real knee saver, good for the quads, and the colon simply loves it.

Marc Muench was great to shoot with. And a treat to meet, a very nice and humble man.

And I thought the low-key sales pitches on Saturday night were done very well, minimal intrusion. Given what we got, and given the tab that smugmug had to cover, I think we got by far the better end of the bargain! A big thank you to Baldy, Toni and Onethumb for sponsoring the event. And lest we forget, they also footed the tab for some sweet giveaways!

I know that Andy put a lot of work into this, and I respect him for his energy, follow-through and most of all, for his having conceived of this thing and making it a reality. He's a doer, folks.

On to Zion (assuming I still have a job and the ability to pay for it!) I take to heart one thing we discussed: those who are able to, should seriously consider investing a few more days at the locations. Yosemite and Zion are American landmarks, places we aren't likely to visit often. What better time to stretch a break by a day or two and take full advantage of a unique opportunity?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Zion, etc.
    wxwax wrote:
    On to Zion (assuming I still have a job and the ability to pay for it!) I take to heart one thing we discussed: those who are able to, should seriously consider investing a few more days at the locations. Yosemite and Zion are American landmarks, places we aren't likely to visit often. What better time to stretch a break by a day or two and take full advantage of a unique opportunity?
    I second that. Zion is located next to Bryce, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and other magnificent geological formations. I've been there for one day (camping) and barely touched the surface.. I mean, the bottom.. whatever..:-)

As Sid said, if all goes well, I'm planning to take a few extra days and cover the area.

By the way, I was thinking: Zion is a small very narrow canyon (you gotta go really wide there), with not enough accomodations (unless you're camping). Especially if we get a larger group, maybe Bryce would be a better place, since is easier to split on a smaller groups and cover different areas. Tons of lodging, large variety of trails, etc. And there are day tours to Zion on the charter buses, it takes about 1:30 - 2:00 (don't remember, exactly, but it's about 60-70 miles) hours to get there. And there is no public traffic in Zion itself anyway, so we'd have to go by shuttle in any case...

Just a thought...

Here's a Bryce Sphynx for ya:
    21761574-L.jpg

Cheers1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 10, 2005
    Thank you, thank you, thank you
    I'd also like to thank Baldy, Toni, One Thumb, Marc and Andy for 3 days that I'll never forget clap.gifclap.gif You folks did a super job thumb.gif This event set the bar pretty high. I have every confidence that the Zion shoot will continue to raise the bar :D

If I wasn't already a Smugmugger, meeting you wonderful people would have caused me to sign up as soon as I got home. Talk about your family atmosphere :):

Thanks again I had a ball,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Ditto ditto ditto!!! 15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gif You took the words right out of my mouth.

Thank you dgrin!
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    It was a fantastic trip, thanks again to Baldy, Toni & Onethumb and last but certainly not least Andy. I have never met a nicer bunch of people..

Thanks ...

Ed, Missy & Connie
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 11, 2005
    Speaking of Zion, has anyone seen Luben's recent work from Zion ??

WOW !!!!

Check it out here

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 11, 2005
    Thanks for all the kind words! But truly and honestly, Toni, onethumb and I had it easy. Andy was far and away the big reason it happened, and why it was so magical.

It was his idea, he thought up the dinner, swag, Marc invitation, location, lodging, and he provided unbelievable energy, creativity and photographic mastery...

And what a great group it was! Gus has a future in stand-up comedy if he wants it. They shoulda cast him as Crocodile Dundee.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Me three
    Let me add my hat to the thank-you ring. It was awesome, from Mark's example and slideshow to baldy's rib dinner and extra goodies, the beautiful sights and friendly faces, and last but not least, Andy's enthusiastic managing getting it all to work as smoothly and enjoyably as it did.

Jennifer (Mrs. Shay / Sherpa) and I had a great time and want to thank everyone for one freakin' awesome adventure and a lifetime memory.

Thank you,
    Shay & Jen
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Ditto, Ditto, Ditto
    a big thanks to everybody, it was better than i could have hoped, and meeting everybody was an added bonus. (sorry to sam for my snoring Laughing.gif)
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    Well if you'e apologizing for snoring, then I demand an apology from ian! :pissed

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Well if you'e apologizing for snoring, then I demand an apology from ian! :pissed

lol3.gif

was that ian? i thought they were doing night-time tree work .... lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    You see, you see! He could hear you one floor down and five rooms across! I felt like I was being rocked to sleep by the blast of soundwaves hitting my bed.

:lol
    Sid.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    talking of snoring.. is'nt it your birthday this month Andrew???:D
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    talking of snoring.. is'nt it your birthday this month Andrew???:D

yep - may 7 :D thanks lynnie
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

lol3.gif
    Not 'till waxy apologizes for said snoring lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    i cannot tell you what a great pleasure it was to meet and shoot with all of you. what a great trip. thanks to everyone for making it so very special.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    How many exposures were shot between everyone?
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:

1Ds: 2.7 gigs, 209 shots
    20D: 2.9 gigs, 273 shots
    IR rebel: 1.3gigs, 223 shots

minor chimping/deleting in the field, but not much.
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    ~350 here.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    475 for me. This was the last one I took.

IMG_2449.jpg

luckyrwe wrote:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Around 900. Quality by volume, thats my moto.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    781 (including 253 in SF.) And I hate 'em all. Landscapes be hard.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    About 400 shots. Plus a bit of chimp/delete. In all, about 2.3G worth.

Ian
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I know I shot 1589 frames this weekend. In jpg mode and alot of duplicates and playin garound with settings. I might have some good ones to post later this weekend for me it was about playing and learning. I would also like to say thanks to Andy for coming up with the idea, and thanks to the smug crew for sponsoring it and the swag we all got to take home with us. Great pull overs and hats. Gotta love the swag.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Ditto what everysingle person has said!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    This trip will have memories in it when I'm old(er), really truly something special...what a wonderful group smugmuger's turn out to be!!!!
    Baldy, Toni, onethumb...thankyou!!! Andy, what else can a person say about what you've done? You are the best!!!!!! thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks for it all!
    Den
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 12, 2005
    About 300 20D shots and 100 717 IR shots. So 400 all together, including lots of dups ne_nau.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Around 900. Quality by volume, thats my moto.
    that's my motto the more I shoot the better my chances and I got to get in all those butt shots:D 900 to 1000 now ask shot gun Ed he takes 20 shots at 1 clip that bear was scared !! that is how i got the butt:moon shot :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/