Options

Outside Shots - What to use?

aim&shootaim&shoot Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited February 4, 2009 in Technique
Ok, so if you're doing outside photoshoots what all would you use? I normally just use outside lighting and my lens cap, but I am seeing more and more photographers hauling these big cases with all sorts of stuff. I for one would like not to haul a whole bunch of stuff.

So what would you take/use?

Nikon D90
Nikkor VR 18-105mm 3.5-5.6
Sigma DG 28-300mm 3.5-6.3
SB-600 Flash

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    aim&shoot wrote:
    Ok, so if you're doing outside photoshoots what all would you use? I normally just use outside lighting and my lens cap, but I am seeing more and more photographers hauling these big cases with all sorts of stuff. I for one would like not to haul a whole bunch of stuff.

So what would you take/use?
    Depends on the job at hand. If the sun is out (no clouds) then it becomes a light source. It can be either the key light or fill - the photographer needs to make the decision.

Then, the photographer needs to decide if they are going to use anything else for a light source and, if so, at what relative intensity.

OK, so if there is going to be a second light source, is it going to be a reflector or a strobe? If a strobe, is it going to be on-camera or off? You can get very good results using just an on-camera flash and the sun - just check out some of jeffreaux2's senior portrait work.

I will be shooting a bridal portrait session this Sunday evening (weather willing). In many of these I will position the bride such that she is facing away, at least part way, from the sun and will use a modified strobe (Sunpak 622) against the sun to light her face and front aspect. In this instance, I have already been told that I will have a voice-activated, self-propelled, carbon-based lightstand (the father of the bride) at my disposal to hold my strobe.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    Depends on the job at hand. If the sun is out (no clouds) then it becomes a light source. It can be either the key light or fill - the photographer needs to make the decision.

Then, the photographer needs to decide if they are going to use anything else for a light source and, if so, at what relative intensity.

OK, so if there is going to be a second light source, is it going to be a reflector or a strobe? If a strobe, is it going to be on-camera or off? You can get very good results using just an on-camera flash and the sun - just check out some of jeffreaux2's senior portrait work.

I will be shooting a bridal portrait session this Sunday evening (weather willing). In many of these I will position the bride such that she is facing away, at least part way, from the sun and will use a modified strobe (Sunpak 622) against the sun to light her face and front aspect. In this instance, I have already been told that I will have a voice-activated, self-propelled, carbon-based lightstand (the father of the bride) at my disposal to hold my strobe.

Hmmm, interesting... I have been debating on buying a flash for the camera just didn't know which one.

If I shoot outside it will either be in the am or late afternoon after the harsh sun is gone.

So is the Sunpak as heavy as everyone say's it is? Or is it pretty much easy to handle? Do you use anything other than the Sunpak? Any diffuser's or anything?

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    aim&shoot wrote:
    Hmmm, interesting... I have been debating on buying a flash for the camera just didn't know which one.

If I shoot outside it will either be in the am or late afternoon after the harsh sun is gone.

So is the Sunpak as heavy as everyone say's it is? Or is it pretty much easy to handle? Do you use anything other than the Sunpak? Any diffuser's or anything?
    No - it's heavier! Especially when you throw in the batteries. It's not something I would recommend as on-camera flash. For that, you need to look to a system dedicated speedlight (Canon - 580EX II, 430EX, etc; Nikon - SBs, etc).

When I use on-camera flash I use the 580EX II - powerful, light, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    No - it's heavier! Especially when you throw in the batteries. It's not something I would recommend as on-camera flash. For that, you need to look to a system dedicated speedlight (Canon - 580EX II, 430EX, etc; Nikon - SBs, etc).

When I use on-camera flash I use the 580EX II - powerful, light, etc.

Ok, thanks....

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash