Options

Printer < $300 Advice

BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited February 5, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Ok, I'm new to this print at home game. I'm an old film guy that has done his own B&W lab work, but sent out my color work to a lab. I'm looking for a decent printer for less than $300. I have researched for days on the web and I am more confused than ever. Customer reviews range from "don't buy this, ever" to "the best product ever on earth" for every printer I have read about. I want this printer mainly for photo printing... that brings me to you guys, the experts!

I am not a pro...but an advanced amateur. What are your suggestions? Epson seems to be the going brand. I have also looked at the Kodak procducts. I really don't need an all-in-one as I have one now. Wireless would be great, but not necessary. Now do you see why I am confused? HELP ME SPEND MY MONEY!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I've been very happy with my Epson R1800 :D
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Whatever it is, make sure it isn't an HP printer. I'm awfully partial to my Canon MX850.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    Thanks for the replies!! I hear ya about the HPs!!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Look around a vendors that make ink, paper and accessories. Nearly all of them have things for Epson printers, some of them have for Canon, and rarely do you see things for other brands. For this reason, when I buy another photo printer (I have Canon now), I will buy Epson. My brother has Epson, and he has bought nice papers, fancy inks, ink systems including software profiles, etc for his printer. I have Canon paper and ink to choose from basically.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    I took everyone's advice and ordered something totally different. I went with the Epson Artisan 700 ($149) and bought a Spyder 2 Express monitor calibrator. I read that the Artisan has some paper feed issues, but otherwise it got rave reviews for picure quality. Cost of ink is high, but hey, that's the story of all printers it seems. I will let you know if I regret this choice!

Ciao!
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Let's stay sane about brands and focus on products.
    HP printers are as good and as mediocre as anything produced by Canon and Epson. I own four printers, one by Canon, one by Epson, and two by HP. They all match my requirements. For exhibitions I rely upon two HPs and one Epson. I spent 20 years printing in color and black and white darkrooms, and now contract print digitally for professionals when they need help.
    If you are outputting black and white prints then it will help if your printer has a dedicated gray cart. If not, be prepared to manage subtle and not-so-subtle color casts.

M
    BMW Kurt wrote:
    Thanks for the replies!! I hear ya about the HPs!!