Options

Album page designs

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited February 5, 2009 in Weddings
Well, we've had great discussions on vendors for books...Asuka, Finoa..the list goes on.....so, for the heck of it, I've been compiling pages for a general "Weddings Vol. 1" book. The other volume one I'm not real thrilled with so am replacing it with a higher quality format. Thought to share and maybe inspire some ideas :D

462857303_85ste-L.jpg

462857219_xH5r2-L.jpg

462857050_i4uiq-L.jpg

462857186_hvq9o-L.jpg

462857113_QYxUB-L.jpg

462857357_2s95R-L.jpg

462857136_xcZoN-L.jpg

462857045_CFyGX-L.jpg

462857086_5ZNVW-L.jpg

Thanks for looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Nice work
    Dave - these are really nice pages. I am in the same place - working on books to show at my studio.

There are so many choices for book vendors. And you really need more than one choice imho.

What software are you designing with?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Very nice looking pages and photos.
    I like the second page best with the seemingly more random placement of the photo inserts.
    That looks like a lot of work...I am glad my partner does all the albums...
    I bet you clients love your album work...
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    These are really nice, Dave.
    The first one is my favorite of the designs. Lovely processing and photos to boot!

You know, there is a ton of design information that can be gleaned from the digital scrapbookers out there... They have some excellent tips and tricks for doing things JUST like this. And also great elements that you can buy and use for these... They often have them for sale for commercial use as well as personal use, so you can check up on that. But really great products like background paper and 3d elements and all kinds of stuff are all available for your use. I just have my bride tell me what style / colors / photos they want and then I go for it... (Yeah, I know red and yellow isn't for everyone, but she picked it.)

338207451_xbRQa-M-3.jpg

339402979_9wZT4-S-1.jpg339405405_ugYKs-S-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    Ah...that's right....those digital scrapbookers......they're everwhere too :D.....great ideas for more stuff. I like those very much Fred....they work well with the colors..even if they are odd..Laughing.gif

Wait....wait.....she called me........."WHAT"?.............Dave?

Running down the street with my hair on fire!10944573-Ti.gif PIZZA!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    zoomer wrote:
    Very nice looking pages and photos.
    I like the second page best with the seemingly more random placement of the photo inserts.
    That looks like a lot of work...I am glad my partner does all the albums...
    I bet you clients love your album work...

Thanks Zoomer. It isn't too bad actually. Starting out with a reasonable template, then building on that goes fairly quickly....although there are some I start from scratch then save as a template for the future. It's fun doing story boards as well once in the mode of creating stuff.......guess I should get away from the computer a bit more, eh?...Laughing.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Heather, OMG, your page designs are AMAZING!!! Can you share some of your favorite digital scrapbooking sites! ???

I have found great backgrounds, but vintage/weathered frames and "transparent" baroque designs like you've used here...I've yet to find.

Awesome, inspiring work!

Mine look so boring and minimalistic next to y'all's..... :hide
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    For the most part, I really like what I see. #1 is truly very, very good.

The following comment is done just by eye-balling the images and, therefore, could be all wet:D Is this intended for a flush mount? If so, have you verified that the split isn't going to go through something important in, 2, 3, and 4?

I'm not too sure about the curled affect in #2 - just seems a little "cutsie" to me.

On the other hand, #4 is classic and will withstand the test of time with no problem.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    I'm not too sure about the curled affect in #2 - just seems a little "cutsie" to me.

On the other hand, #4 is classic and will withstand the test of time with no problem.

agree on both counts!!! #4 and #5 are my faves. nicely done!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    Heather, OMG, your page designs are AMAZING!!! Can you share some of your favorite digital scrapbooking sites! ???

I have found great backgrounds, but vintage/weathered frames and "transparent" baroque designs like you've used here...I've yet to find.

Awesome, inspiring work!

Mine look so boring and minimalistic next to y'all's..... :hide

My favorite: http://weedsandwildflowersdesign.com/ (the flourish you mentioned is from them... and is my favorite element of all time!) And looking up the website I see they have new stuff! Yea! Shopping!

But there are tons and tons of stuff out there out there:

I love 2peasinabucket (more like a forum with a store attached) and atomiccupcake. Atomic cupcake has a ton of really great actions for photo edges. I love the burned edge and sanded edge stitching and tons of other stuff. They used to do a subscription deal where you pay just a bit for a month of unlimited downloads. But they don't do that any more.

Have fun! (You can spend hours of time looking and never get tired of it- at least that is my issue.)
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    Good info...
    Fotofusion Extreme is really great too for all of those design elements and frames - they are mostly included but there are some extra goodies to buy. I also use Nik Color efx and use it to make a "vignette" that shaped to a frame.

I had a hard time deciding on what album software to buy but I am very happy with it.

Heather, the links you posted are also fun!
    My favorite: http://weedsandwildflowersdesign.com/ (the flourish you mentioned is from them... and is my favorite element of all time!) And looking up the website I see they have new stuff! Yea! Shopping!

I love 2peasinabucket (more like a forum with a store attached) and atomiccupcake. Atomic cupcake has a ton of really great actions for photo edges. I love the burned edge and sanded edge stitching and tons of other stuff. They used to do a subscription deal where you pay just a bit for a month of unlimited downloads. But they don't do that any more.

Have fun! (You can spend hours of time looking and never get tired of it- at least that is my issue.)
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Very nice Swartzy, I'm impressed!!! Only one that I don't like as much are the curly pages .... but other than that, very nice clap.gif

I keep my album designs rather simple, figure anything tooooo fancy will look dated in 5 years ne_nau.gif .... (NOT saying yours are too fancy)

Heather, you just made me spend too much money on one of those sites, loved the "paper designs", very pretty iloveyou.gif

thumb.gif
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Heres something I threw together.

Originally this didn't have any package pricing on it, and it said Michael Winterberg and Elisabeth Cejpek... He's my brother, and has allowed me to use their pictures I took for a pricing brochure for my "studio".

463737717_yUYyU-L.jpg

Completely made in photoshop CS4 started from scratch. Tell me what you think, and I hope this gives other people ideas for album pages.
    Jer
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Jeremy, That looks great. Good idea to use an album layout for a pricing page or brochure.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    Jeremy, That looks great. Good idea to use an album layout for a pricing page or brochure.
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty clever too. Although I did kinda steal the idea from my "real world" job where I actually get paidwings.gif. They use an album layout type thing for their portrait studio brochures. (only a matter of time and my photography will make me moneyrolleyes1.gif)
    Jer
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty clever too. Although I did kinda steal the idea from my "real world" job where I actually get paidwings.gif. They use an album layout type thing for their portrait studio brochures. (only a matter of time and my photography will make me moneyrolleyes1.gif)

You have "session" spelled incorrectly on your "3 hour engagement session".
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    You have "session" spelled incorrectly on your "3 hour engagement session".

I was wondering about the prices - are those real? I can't see how you could make a profit with those prices even in the middle of nowhere. I spend about 3-4 hours for each hour I shoot and product pricing I won't even talk about. Seems like you are not factoring your time it takes to create the product. And the cheapest albums I could find cost a minimum of $75.00. Even my Blurb Books cost that much.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I was wondering about the prices - are those real? I can't see how you could make a profit with those prices even in the middle of nowhere.
    That was my thought too.

Great page layouts by the way!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I was wondering about the prices - are those real? I can't see how you could make a profit with those prices even in the middle of nowhere. I spend about 3-4 hours for each hour I shoot and product pricing I won't even talk about. Seems like you are not factoring your time it takes to create the product. And the cheapest albums I could find cost a minimum of $75.00. Even my Blurb Books cost that much.

I wondered also....

I get considerably more for my "senior portrait" session/package than this "full-coverage" wedding package.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Ahhh... Summit Manor. I liked that place, photographically.

What program are you using for your layouts (forgive me if this has already been answered)?
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2009
    Unfortunately people wont pay much more for an "inexperienced" photographer where I live... and its not in the middle of no where, we have like 70k people in our town (not huge but not small). I dont make much profit at all, actually as of right now, none... because I dont have very many clients (in the process of starting my studio, I've only done a few things here and there)... But yes, those prices are REAL. sadly. I want to boost them up, but then I wont get anybody because they could go have their pictures taken at the other studio for $20... etc...

Thanks for catching the spelling error. for some reason my computer has been freezing up whenever I type in photoshop. So, I guess I'll just have to do some tinkering around to fix it.

I can get a Photobook printed and bound for I think $25'ish at my work. plus people dont want to spend more than $75 for a photobook with the economy like it is right now.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    I can get a Photobook printed and bound for I think $25'ish at my work. plus people dont want to spend more than $75 for a photobook with the economy like it is right now.

You know Jeremy, we could go on for hours about this pricing mentality...that's not what this thread is about. Besides, I live in the Twin Cities, not far from your neck of the woods and trust me, people will pay for quality.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Besides, I live in the Twin Cities, not far from your neck of the woods and trust me, people will pay for quality.

Agreed. For many people, quality is more important than 'experience' (which generally, but not always, translates to quality).

Never be afraid to charge what you are worth.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Swartzy...1,3, and 7 are really nice. You do good work.

I relly like the layout and picture selection for the pages.

Thanks for sharing. More on this subject would be nice.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009

So you now must know where I just spent the last two hours! Really Cool Things going on there!
  • Options
    aim&shootaim&shoot Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    They all look good.. I really like #1, 3, and 7...

Nikon D90
    Nikkor VR 18-105mm 3.5-5.6
    Sigma DG 28-300mm 3.5-6.3
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    Thanks Ed & aim&shoot! I love designing stuff...sometimes it takes too many hours but still worth it. I am partial to #3 personally because of all the different things I did to make it look that way....nothing like personal attachment...Laughing.gif. :D

Thanks for the kind words....have many many more but I'll spare you rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com