Options

Monochrome Images

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited February 9, 2009 in Cameras
This afternoon I took a few shots in Monochrome using my 40D.I always shoot Raw + L Jpeg. I have just put the CR2 images through Photoshop CS3 to find to my amazement they have all turned out in colour. The corresponding + L Jpegs have come out in black & white when I put them through ACR. I am sure there is a simple explanation to this which I would really appreciate.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Why be astonished? RAW is just that = RAW Data - it will always be in color. When you set the 40D to BW mode, the camera made a BW jpg for you in-camera.

You can read it in your manual Bob or download the manual here if you've lost it:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17779#DownloadDetailAct
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Why be astonished? RAW is just that = RAW Data - it will always be in color. When you set the 40D to BW mode, the camera made a BW jpg for you in-camera.

You can read it in your manual Bob or download the manual here if you've lost it:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17779#DownloadDetailAct

Thanks Andy I learn something new every day and hopefully I will get there. I always keep the manual close at hand and will have a look.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Andy I learn something new every day and hopefully I will get there. I always keep the manual close at hand and will have a look.
    Regards
    Bob
    thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Just for the record... I've found that if you shoot in BW mode you end up losing more data and getting lower quality (not digital quality, but the visual quality - light, variation in tone, etc.) than if you shoot in color and then use the Channel Mixer in Photoshop or Gimp or whatever software you use to convert the image to BW.

By using the Channel Mixer and setting it to monochrome, you can still do a lot of adjustments with the image to boost up or tone down the would-be reds, greens, and blues to make some detailed refinements to the BW image.

Give it a try! :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!