Options

Wedding photographers in Kelowna, BC

IcemanUKIcemanUK Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited February 9, 2009 in Weddings
Hi,

I am getting married in August in Kelowna, BC (Canada). As I am based in London, I do not know of any wedding photographers in the area. Does anyone here have any recommendations?

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Hi IcemanUK,

Welcome to dgrin! Is there a shortage there, or are you looking for recommendations? If its the latter, then I'm sure one of our members can help you out. mwink.gif I've got a bride coming over from the U.K. to get married in Toronto and she found me on Kijiji or Craigslist (I can't remember which one now).
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Hi IcemanUK,

Welcome to dgrin! Is there a shortage there, or are you looking for recommendations? If its the latter, then I'm sure one of our members can help you out. mwink.gif I've got a bride coming over from the U.K. to get married in Toronto and she found me on Kijiji or Craigslist (I can't remember which one now).
    There is no shortage of people on the web claiming to be wedding photographers, though I suspect that there are fewer real professionals.

I'm looking for recommendations from the community so I can short-list a few to check out when I am over in Canada in April firming up some of the event logistics.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    IcemanUK wrote:
    There is no shortage of people on the web claiming to be wedding photographers, though I suspect that there are fewer real professionals.

I'm looking for recommendations from the community so I can short-list a few to check out when I am over in Canada in April firming up some of the event logistics.

Hopefully someone here can help you then. However, you may have to look in places other than Kelowna.

These questions might help people better answer your question.

1. Do you want a local photographer or are you willing to bring someone in?

2. What is your budget like (don't need to state numbers), just give people an idea?

3. Are you looking for a traditional styled photographer or a photojournalistic style?

4. Do you want albums, prints, etc... or are you just interested in a DVD?
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Hopefully someone here can help you then. However, you may have to look in places other than Kelowna.

These questions might help people better answer your question.

1. Do you want a local photographer or are you willing to bring someone in?

2. What is your budget like (don't need to state numbers), just give people an idea?

3. Are you looking for a traditional styled photographer or a photojournalistic style?

4. Do you want albums, prints, etc... or are you just interested in a DVD?
    OK,
    1. The photographer doesn't need to be local, but travel costs would have to be accounted for in the quote and a local knowlege of the area would be an asset
    2. Budget wise, I am seeking something sub $5k
    3. Not quite sure the difference, but probably a traditional photographer. One of my key metrics for which person I choose will be based on how I like their portfolio
    4. I'm not looking for a shoot and burn photographer -- we will want some prints. Digital negatives are a must.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    IcemanUK wrote:
    OK,
    1. The photographer doesn't need to be local, but travel costs would have to be accounted for in the quote and a local knowlege of the area would be an asset
    2. Budget wise, I am seeking something sub $5k
    3. Not quite sure the difference, but probably a traditional photographer. One of my key metrics for which person I choose will be based on how I like their portfolio
    4. I'm not looking for a shoot and burn photographer -- we will want some prints. Digital negatives are a must.

Ok. Now you've given us a better understanding of what you want! Here comes one of the most important questions!

What day is your wedding? If its 2009, you may be in a little bit of trouble as it is getting quite late and most of us are already booked up in the prime months.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Ok. Now you've given us a better understanding of what you want! Here comes one of the most important questions!

What day is your wedding? If its 2009, you may be in a little bit of trouble as it is getting quite late and most of us are already booked up in the prime months.

The date is 11 Aug 2009.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Ouch! This could be tough. I would start a thread in the Weddings Section titled...

"Wedding Photographer Needed for August 11, 2009."

Then I would place all the info you mentioned here (i.e. place, price, what you are looking for, etc...). That way your thread will get a lot more notice.

Also, try posting at Photo.net. They also have a large forum of wedding photographers that may be able to help you.

Make sure your photographer has backup equipment and professional liability insurance.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Ouch! This could be tough. I would start a thread in the Weddings Section titled...

Then I would place all the info you mentioned here (i.e. place, price, what you are looking for, etc...). That way your thread will get a lot more notice.

Also, try posting at Photo.net. They also have a large forum of wedding photographers that may be able to help you.

Make sure your photographer has backup equipment and professional liability insurance.

Thank you for your help. I'll re-post. I didn't think about the liability insurance, but here is my basic set of questions that I plan on asking once I have short-listed some candidates:

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CLONNE2%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:DoNotRelyOnCSS/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext; mso-text-animation:none; font-weight:normal; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; text-underline:none; text-decoration:none; text-line-through:none;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:878663596; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:925693302 134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-tab-stop:36.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level2 {mso-level-tab-stop:72.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level3 {mso-level-tab-stop:108.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level4 {mso-level-tab-stop:144.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level5 {mso-level-tab-stop:180.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level6 {mso-level-tab-stop:216.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level7 {mso-level-tab-stop:252.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level8 {mso-level-tab-stop:288.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level9 {mso-level-tab-stop:324.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} ol {margin-bottom:0cm;} ul {margin-bottom:0cm;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    • How long have you been photographing weddings, and do you have some previous customers that we could contact?<o:p></o:p>
    • What is your typical turnaround time to process the images?<o:p></o:p>
    • Do you include post-production services (RAW processing, touch-ups, etc)?<o:p></o:p>
    • Do you provide prints/albums? Are they archival quality?<o:p></o:p>
    • Do you provide digital negatives? If so are these provided in RAW format, Jpg, Tiff (all three)?<o:p></o:p>
    • How many photographers would you provide for the event? Who would they be?<o:p></o:p>
    • What sort of camera(s) and lenses do you use? Does your equipment support enlargements up to (or beyond) 16x20?<o:p></o:p>
    • How do you like to light events?<o:p></o:p>
    • Do you have any sort of back-up plan in case of unforeseen problems?<o:p></o:p>
    • Do you have professional liability insurance? A business licence? [NEW]
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009

Thank you for your help. I'll re-post. I didn't think about the liability insurance, but here is my basic set of questions that I plan on asking once I have short-listed some candidates:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CLONNE2%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:DoNotRelyOnCSS/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext; mso-text-animation:none; font-weight:normal; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; text-underline:none; text-decoration:none; text-line-through:none;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:878663596; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:925693302 134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-tab-stop:36.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level2 {mso-level-tab-stop:72.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level3 {mso-level-tab-stop:108.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level4 {mso-level-tab-stop:144.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level5 {mso-level-tab-stop:180.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level6 {mso-level-tab-stop:216.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level7 {mso-level-tab-stop:252.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level8 {mso-level-tab-stop:288.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level9 {mso-level-tab-stop:324.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} ol {margin-bottom:0cm;} ul {margin-bottom:0cm;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    • How long have you been photographing weddings, and do you have some previous customers that we could contact?<o:p></o:p>
    • Do you include post-production services (RAW processing, touch-ups, etc)?<o:p></o:p>
    • Do you provide digital negatives? If so are these provided in RAW format, Jpg, Tiff (all three)?<o:p></o:p>
    • How many photographers would you provide for the event? Who would they be?<o:p></o:p>
    • What sort of camera(s) and lenses do you use? Does your equipment support enlargements up to (or beyond) 16x20?<o:p></o:p>
    • Do you have any sort of back-up plan in case of unforeseen problems?<o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    IcemanUK wrote:

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CLONNE2%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:DoNotRelyOnCSS/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext; mso-text-animation:none; font-weight:normal; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; text-underline:none; text-decoration:none; text-line-through:none;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:878663596; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:925693302 134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-tab-stop:36.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level2 {mso-level-tab-stop:72.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level3 {mso-level-tab-stop:108.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level4 {mso-level-tab-stop:144.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level5 {mso-level-tab-stop:180.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level6 {mso-level-tab-stop:216.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level7 {mso-level-tab-stop:252.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level8 {mso-level-tab-stop:288.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l0:level9 {mso-level-tab-stop:324.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} ol {margin-bottom:0cm;} ul {margin-bottom:0cm;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

These are all good questions. Personally, I would never give up my raw digital negatives.

Make sure the photographs that the photographer is showing is their work and not that of an assistant. Also, ask to see an entire wedding the photographer has personally done. This is relatively normal and most clients won't mind.

A business license is not really that important as insurance can be obtained without registering a business (at least in Ontario you can... I'm not registered).

Other questions you could ask are:

1) Do you do all the post-processing on you images? Some studios send a photographer to a wedding and then someone else edits the photos. This is BAD NEWS as there is too much disconnect in the process. How could the person doing the processing know what the photographer intended with the image?

2) What is the minimum amount of images you can guarantee me providing everything runs according to schedule and that I allot the agreed amount of time to photos? If someone can guarantee you more than 200 unique images that are post-processed, then you are either getting very similar shots (i.e. duplicates or they are full of it). I take about 1500 images in a wedding and weed them down to anywhere from 200-300 top images.

3) Are other people allowed to take photos at the wedding. Some photographers have a hissy-fit if someone else depresses a shutter (and may even walk out). Photographers that work like this are very self-conscious and not confident about their skill. We live in a digital age and there needs to be freedom. Of course, during the ceremony, etc... there may be some tighter restrictions.

4) Does the photographer schedule more than one wedding per weekend? Again, personal opinion, but a photographer should only have one wedding per weekend. There is too much work involved and if there is one scheduled on Sat and Sun, then someone is going to get the short-end of the stick.

5) What equipment do you use. You'll hear people say "its not the equipment, its the photographer." This is not necessarily true. The best photographer in the world can't take a proper exposure without the correct cameras and lenses. If you like natural light in most of your shots, make sure your photographer has a full-sensored camera and low-light lenses. If you are ok with flash and like more portrait styled photos, then look at flashes, reflectors, lighting equipment, etc...

6) Do I have a choice with what photos go in the album? Again, some give a choice and some do not. Personally, I wouldn't as the bride has hired me to do the photography, ergo... she trusts my professional opinion and style.

7) Can I select certain photos in black & white or selectively coloured? Anyone that says yes, obviously devalues there work. The photographer should know what is the best image. Let your photographer know what type of images you like before you hire him/her!

These are just a few questions off the top of my head, but there are lots more! Make sure the photographer's personality fits yours and that you have a comfortable rapport with him/her. I am speaking to my brides once per week just to let them know how the prep is going and if they have any questions.

Best of luck. :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed