Options

First DSLR Suggestions?

Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited February 16, 2009 in Cameras
Alright guys, so im planning on picking up a dslr in the near future and I have a couple things in mind. Which of the three would you guys recommend and why? If you dont like the options please give me another option. Thanks and looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

d40 Kit - http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D40-Digital-Transcend-SecureDigital/dp/B000LRMX7A/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234298610&sr=8-5

d70 used - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ele/1028488277.html

This is the price range I am looking at and I like the idea of the nikons because I can keep my glass from one camera to the other. Either way I am looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Which Camera? 21 votes

d40 kit
33% 7 votes
d70 used
23% 5 votes
other - please explain
42% 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    nothing off craigs list unless you can get a physical look at it....way to many scams.......not the d40 as I believe you are really limited to a certain few lenses.....d70 if it is a really clean copy od one of the later models (d70s) depending on price......

I think if you are serious about this as a hobby a d90 or even a d300 if can afford it...being later models with less problems and prices are dropping all the time.....either one will use any of the nikon lenses and lenses from the 3rd party mfg'ers also.......

A lot of times there will be super great deals on ebay for demos and refurbs also.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Ya I would never buy something off of CL without first looking at it.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    as a nikon shooter and former owner of the d40x I vote the d70. The primary reason is that choice of non af-s lens.The d40 needs af-s lens to autofocus. The selection of af-s lens is decent but if you catch the bug then you will definitely want to shoot non af-s lens and then that becomes a big limiter.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    as a nikon shooter and former owner of the d40x I vote the d70. The primary reason is that choice of non af-s lens.The d40 needs af-s lens to autofocus. The selection of af-s lens is decent but if you catch the bug then you will definitely want to shoot non af-s lens and then that becomes a big limiter.

Ya I know about the whole AF thing, most of my shooting will be MF. I guess my real dilemma is that I know by the time im needing a lot of the lenses that dont AF I will be wanting a new body anyways.
  • Options
    carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    You might look at a used D50 there have been a couple of them floating here on the nikon sales board. the will be able to use any lens and they have one of the best light meters available on a lower end dslr. They also have great battery life.

just my 2 cents
    Carl
  • Options
    BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Ya I know about the whole AF thing, most of my shooting will be MF. I guess my real dilemma is that I know by the time im needing a lot of the lenses that dont AF I will be wanting a new body anyways.

In this case, I would probably pick the D40 over the D70 for the lower price (or comparable for new D40 vs. used D70) and larger rear LCD. Either camera would serve you well though. One thing to keep in mind is that the D40 and D70 are very different sizes, so you might want to keep that in mind.

—Brendan
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Ya thats kind of what im thinking, but if you guys have any good equipment for sale that would lead me in the right direction let me know. Or any further ideas on what I should do.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:

I think if you are serious about this as a hobby a d90 or even a d300 if can afford it...being later models with less problems and prices are dropping all the time.....either one will use any of the nikon lenses and lenses from the 3rd party mfg'ers also.......

15524779-Ti.gif Take some time, save up some cash and get yourself a D90 or D300. Both are superior to the earlier models.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    I say go for an Olympus E-520. The features on that camera trump the others by a mile, and the cost is close to the same. I use the E-510, and the E-500, both earlier models and I run my professional studio with them. I am biased because I LOVE Olympus products.
  • Options
    Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    If you're considering the D40, I've been happy with the D60. It felt a little small at first, but I added a battery grip and it feels like a completely different camera. I even picked up a MF f/1.8 50mm this past weekend for $20. It won't meter with the body, but that's a moot point if you prefer doing things manually anyway. I'd definitely recommend the D60 if you're shopping on a budget.
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Ya I know about the whole AF thing, most of my shooting will be MF.

Have you looked through the VF of the D40? If you have you should've realized that MF is going to be very difficult at best. Small VF, dark VF = frustration.

You need to step up to the D90/300 to have a chance a decent MF results. Plus LV is a HUGE plus for manual focus (tripod of course) which then means the previously mentioned Oly E520 would be a good choice for about the same price as the D40.

Gene
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    kini62 wrote:
    Have you looked through the VF of the D40? If you have you should've realized that MF is going to be very difficult at best. Small VF, dark VF = frustration.

You need to step up to the D90/300 to have a chance a decent MF results. Plus LV is a HUGE plus for manual focus (tripod of course) which then means the previously mentioned Oly E520 would be a good choice for about the same price as the D40.

Gene

I didnt even think about that point, im going to go take a look at that before I come to my final conclusion.
  • Options
    eminarteminart Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    I think you'd get better replies if you just mentioned how much money you want to spend.

If I were chosing between a D70 and a D40, I'd probably pick the D70. I use a D80 and I'm happy with it.
  • Options
    Tampa-PhotographyTampa-Photography Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    D-70 or D-80
    I would go with the D-70, or see if you can pick up a D-80 for close to the same price. You can get a D-80 body refurbished from Nikon for under $500 from Cameta Camera (no affiliation, but we have bought from them through Amazon - a D80 in fact - and been very pleased).

Good luck!
  • Options
    cpallencpallen Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Used cameras
    I think cameras in general are like tools - people buy them and hardly ever use them, get bored and move on to something else. Consequently, there are alot of good used examples around in camera stores (also KEH and Adorama) pawn shops, and on Craig's list. If you buy (smartly) used you can upgrade with little loss of $.

I bought a D80 with 2660 exposures 'like new in the box' from a local camera shop for $430.

Courtney in Seattle
  • Options
    GitaGita Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2009
    I have the D70 and love it. Before making a choice, I think it's important to get a real feel for both. Is there a camera store near you where you can compare models in person? If not, I'd go with the best you can afford.