Options

Batteries on Pro dSLRs

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited April 21, 2004 in Cameras
Ok, so my pro-dslr DCS520 is getting old and the specs aren't as competitive anymore for the imager. Still there is one area where it shines. Yesterday, I shot 837 images at the marathon, walking around, and while eating sushi, all on one battery! And still had plenty of charge left!

So how do other dSLRs stand up? Any reports?
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

My rebel regularly does 400 or so using the microdrive. I don't know how it does with CF, I've never managed to run it dry without also using the flash (with flash it pulls something like 400), but it's in excess of 600.

This compares very favorably with my old C2500L, which ran 150 or so on a charge, and less (100ish) if I made use of its flash.

837+ is Pretty Darn Good.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    My rebel regularly does 400 or so using the microdrive. I don't know how it does with CF, I've never managed to run it dry without also using the flash (with flash it pulls something like 400), but it's in excess of 600.

This compares very favorably with my old C2500L, which ran 150 or so on a charge, and less (100ish) if I made use of its flash.

And that was with 2 microdrives inserted. There are so many features that Kodak got right way back in '98 when they designed this camera. The dual PCMCIA slots that could take 2 microdrives or a microdrive and a GPS card, the firewire tethering, the batteries, the white balancing. So much of the technology in this camera is still ahead of Canon's and Nikon's that you really have to wonder where we would be as consumers if Canon had stuck with the partnership.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited April 20, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Ok, so my pro-dslr DCS520 is getting old and the specs aren't as competitive anymore for the imager. Still there is one area where it shines. Yesterday, I shot 837 images at the marathon, walking around, and while eating sushi, all on one battery! And still had plenty of charge left!

On a 10D I get 400-500 if I use only the one battery the 10D comes with. WIth the BG-ED3 battery grip that holds two batteries - I run out before they do. If I shot a 1000 images in a day - what would I do with them? Post-processing takes longer than shooting now......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2004
    The new Nikon D70 battery performance is amazing. I got the camera Friday night, charged the battery in about 2 hours. So far I've taken over 500 photos and the battery bar has not moved.

I've read where someone got 1600 out of one battery.

I'm thinking 1000+ will not be a problem.

Dave
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 21, 2004
    jimf wrote:

My rebel easily does 1000+ using CF. I'm actually surprised how much less it does with the microdrive. The Drebel is unbelievable with battery life. I bought a backup battery (generic brand, ebay) and its been just as good. Mind you, my 1000+ shots is usually spread out over a week or even two, which means lots of powering up and down - oh, and I also have mine set to stay "awake" for 4 minutes.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    oh, and I also have mine set to stay "awake" for 4 minutes.

That was the first feature I disabled :-). While once in awhile I forget to turn it off, it's not that common and I always have a spare with me on the odd day that I blow it. In contrast it drives me nuts to have the thing shut off partway through a shoot just because I hadn't seen something to shoot in a few minutes.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com