Options

No, no, no - Can't Touch That!

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited February 15, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
A recent news article about the pending lawsuits surrounding Proposition 8 in California in which same-sex couples were denied the right to marry, then allowed to marry, then have that right snatched away again got me thinking...

471868483_JqZed-L.jpg

(This thread is about my photograph, not about politics. Any unwarranted comments will be deleted)

no editing please

Comments

• Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    So understanding this, are you trying to say something about that situation? Or just marriage in general? I think that if you are trying to say something about that situation, then adding some sort of woman to woman or man to man connection and government to either one of those on the other side of the mouse trap would portray that very well. Does this make sense?

If you're not trying make a statement on that topic, I still very much like the photo. I think it says a lot about how, at least I think, many people view marriage these days.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Another interpretation I see is that marriage is a trap so proceed with caution.rolleyes1.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    If I was shown the picture without your explanation, I would not have gotten to prop. 8. I would have looked back on my 69 years and two marriages and thought, stick your finger in there and your trapped.....rolleyes1.gif

COOL PIC.......thumb.gif azzaro
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2009
    Wow, how interesting you each thought essentially the same thing! rolleyes1.gif

I may add text to it to create "poster art" out of the image but I never thought of it as a stand alone without explanation prior to now.

Rather than "marriage being a trap" I envisioned this as teasing one to reach for marriage only to have it "snap at" or "snapped away" from you.

Thanks for your comments thumb.gif

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    I think it would be more poignant if there were two bands for males or two rings with diamonds for females.

As for the technical side, I personally think more negative space would lend to a more isolated feeling with the back ground. I'd like to see more of the trap and the ring in focus with a touch less exposure as the reflection in the ring seems overexposed. Since the ring is the thing for this shot, I'd say expose for the ring and let the exposure for the background fall where it may.
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Without the explanation I also landed in a much more fundamental statement about the institution of marriage ne_nau.gif

As to the technical aspects, I agree with the prior statement about more dead space. Also since the trap is a core component of the message your trying for, I'd increase the DOF to bring the whole trap in focus.

It's a cool idea for an image if you can live with all of the alternative interpretations people will see in it deal.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif with most of the comments above - without the description of your thought process, I would have been left with the impression along the lines of, "Get married and you're caught/trapped." The back and forth events related to Prop 8 .... nope, I don't see the connection at all.

As to the photo itself - I think it's well executed. What needs to be sharp is, what is OOF is still discernable. Light is spot on. And there's plenty of room for copy if one should choose to do that.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    I think it would be more poignant if there were two bands for males or two rings with diamonds for females.

As for the technical side, I personally think more negative space would lend to a more isolated feeling with the back ground. I'd like to see more of the trap and the ring in focus with a touch less exposure as the reflection in the ring seems overexposed. Since the ring is the thing for this shot, I'd say expose for the ring and let the exposure for the background fall where it may.

Thanks Tom

I like the idea of the two diamond rings thumb.gif

I see that blowout on the ring above, I try to fix that in post.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2009
    As to the technical aspects, I agree with the prior statement about more dead space.

since there's a lot of negative space I assume you guys are suggesting more in the foreground. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for commenting.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif with most of the comments above - without the description of your thought process, I would have been left with the impression along the lines of, "Get married and you're caught/trapped." The back and forth events related to Prop 8 .... nope, I don't see the connection at all.

As to the photo itself - I think it's well executed. What needs to be sharp is, what is OOF is still discernable. Light is spot on. And there's plenty of room for copy if one should choose to do that.

Thank you Scott. I appreciate the supportive comments. :D

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Angelo wrote:

Rather than "marriage being a trap" I envisioned this as teasing one to reach for marriage only to have it "snap at" or "snapped away" from you.

My first thought was marriage being a trap. It works for me. I personally think any text would take away from a thought provoking image. Even though it missed the mark that you intended, you got all of us to see more than just the picture. bowdown.gif
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Love it. Nicely done. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    It occurs to me that the ring should have a journey.
    Trap to some bliss for others et...
    It'd be a heck of a creative task to carry out.
    For prop 8 I'd think you would have to add other symbolism
    as well in this photo or any other. Simply adding a brass/other
    8 in the open space as though coming to the alter could be enough.
    Tee Why has a nice idea with the duel rings.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck with it. :D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    psignosispsignosis Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Thoughts
    Im not sure what symbolism represents same sex marriage but maybe what you could do is wrap some pink ribbon around the ring or something.

It definitely looks like a marriage ring in a mouse trap, representing, marriage is a trap. I wish I could help but I dont know what types of symbology would represent same sex marriage without research.

I thought it was a really funny take on marriage when I first saw it. Made me laugh actually. Funny.