Options

Pentax ME

GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited April 28, 2009 in Cameras
You read that correctly, I just bought a film camera!

462520769_w5LWF-L.jpg

It came with a bunch of stuff, some of which I barely understand.

462520822_2Pk4m-L.jpg

Been putzing around with the lenses on my K200D, and think this is really going to be fun. :D

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited January 26, 2009
    The Pentax ME is a sweet smaller SLR. One of my former bosses had one and I coached him when he first got it. I rather liked it myself. Manual focus is easy with the split-image and microprism viewfinder. Metering was simple and accurate.

Nice review here:

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?AsahiPentaxME.html~mainFrame
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    I had a ME and a ME Super years ago and absolutely loved the bright and large split screen viewfinder. A wonderful camera. clap.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    timbo13timbo13 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    nice camera! looks like you got a couple of winders with it, along with
    the lenses etc. What lenses did you get? I have an MX from my film days,
    it came with the same 50mm/f1.7 lens you have there. Still a favorite lens
    to use on my K100DS.
    Tim

Pentax K100D super, some old and new lenses
    more of my photos
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    timbo13 wrote:
    nice camera! looks like you got a couple of winders with it, along with
    the lenses etc. What lenses did you get? I have an MX from my film days,
    it came with the same 50mm/f1.7 lens you have there. Still a favorite lens
    to use on my K100DS.

Thanks!

K 30 2.8
    M 50 1.7
    M 100 2.8

I used the 100 2.8 for a while on my K200D last night just taking test shots, I can tell I'm going to like it. Amazingly simple on the DSLR - focus, green button, shoot! Even used in Av mode with my flash in PTTL, works just like it should. Great stuff, I commend Pentax for maintaining compatibility with these sweet old lenses.

I plan to leave the winders alone for a while and just get to know the camera. I shoot mostly in Av anyway, so the fact that that is the only mode in the ME wasn't a concern. I'm still a bit surprised at how small it is, I think it will end up traveling with me a lot. I could mount the K30, put the M100 in a jacket pocket and shoot pretty much anything.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    My first camera was an ME Super - LOVED that thing. Got it with the 50mm standard lens, and a Tokina 70-200. It all was a gift from my mom because I wanted to try and take pictures of my buddies at the horseshows. Hung onto it until it got stolen in a burglary when I was in college - took me a few years untiL I realised how much I missed it and finally scraped together enough money quite a few years later to get back into 35mm with my first EOS....

That paragraph makes me feel really, REALLY old rolleyes1.gif

I tell you what though - that Pentax had THE BEST viewfinder of any camera I've ever used and was about the only camera I think I've ever manually focused accurately... Loved that thing.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Interesting
    I have no idea about film SLRs used one my dad had that was canon T50 i like it's focusing and manual focusing was easy even i could do it accurately when i was 10:D. Was that split-image and microprism viewfinder ?. Because i remember it had a circle with sharp and blurred portion headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    Was that split-image and microprism viewfinder ?. Because i remember it had a circle with sharp and blurred portion headscratch.gif

The Pentax ME is the same setup. First time I looked thru the viewfinder, WTF is this nonsense? Then I starting playing around and things made more sense.

And yes, the viewfinder is HUGE!
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    An update as I finally had a chance to do some shooting today. Wandered the riverfront and a bit of downtown Saskatoon.

This is fun! Something different about shooting when you have no choice but to manually focus, manually select aperture, guess at exposure compensation on a camera you've never used, and then KERTHUNK! goes the shutter.

I'm not excited about waiting until the roll is developed to see how things turned out, but I'm definitely glad I picked up the kit. Certainly a much different experience than digital, and fun in its own way.
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    That K30 f2.8 is considered to be an excellent lens. If you ever want to sell it send me a PM. The ME will always look good. Nice size too.
    Thanks,
    M
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Just lovely! i had an old k1000 a while ago!

Put the lenses on a K20d and show ur friends what a sharp image is ;)

- Hey i got HSM/USM whatever...

- Hey i can knock out a mammuth with my lens and still use it for another 50 years!
  • Options
    sscheringsschering Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 10, 2009
    My First SLR was a ME Super.. Great little camera..

My dad still has ME Super plus a Spotmatic, ME, MX, ZX-50,ZX-5 and a K10D to round out the group.. He spends some of his spare time hunting for deals on K1000's to get the good old SMC prime lenses.

This is my first post here so HI!
    I shoot with a Pentax K100D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited February 10, 2009
    sschering wrote:
    My First SLR was a ME Super.. Great little camera..

My dad still has ME Super plus a Spotmatic, ME, MX, ZX-50,ZX-5 and a K10D to round out the group.. He spends some of his spare time hunting for deals on K1000's to get the good old SMC prime lenses.

This is my first post here so HI!
    I shoot with a Pentax K100D

Sschering, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments. I'm a bit partial to Pentax SMC lenses myself. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    I just bought a smc-m 50mm f/1.7 lens for my K100d. Amazing lens! Congrats!clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    I just bought a smc-m 50mm f/1.7 lens for my K100d. Amazing lens! Congrats!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    The 50mm 1.7 is a nice lens. But you need to saw off the aperture pin to make it fit on your K100d. At least thats what I needed to do in order to be able to mount it on the istDs. After that it works like a charm. Ok it's somewhat soft wide open but sharps up very well at f2.2 and even more at f2.8.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    The 50mm 1.7 is a nice lens. But you need to saw off the aperture pin to make it fit on your K100d. At least thats what I needed to do in order to be able to mount it on the istDs. After that it works like a charm. Ok it's somewhat soft wide open but sharps up very well at f2.2 and even more at f2.8.

Nope. No sawing required. Is there even an aperture pin on a manual only lens (excuse my ignorance.) I've taken the lens off a few times already with no problems. And the Aperture ring seems to be working normally. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    sscheringsschering Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Nope. No sawing required. Is there even an aperture pin on a manual only lens (excuse my ignorance.) I've taken the lens off a few times already with no problems. And the Aperture ring seems to be working normally. ne_nau.gif
    I thought it was the Ricoh K-mount lenses you had to hack the pin off on..

We have smc-m 50mm f/1.7, smc-a f/1.7 and a SMC FA 50mm f/1.7 They are all great and no mounting issues with the K10D or K100D The Spotmatic has a screw mount 50mm f/1.4 but we haven't bought an adapter to try it on the DSLR's yet.

The rest of the K mount glass gang
    SMC-a 28mm f/2.8
    Sears 135mm f/2.8
    Takumar 80-205 F4.5 Macro Manual focus
    SMC-M F2.8 40-80 Macro Manual Focus
    SMC DA 18-55 (K100D kit lens)
    Tamron 100-300mm AF
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8 AF
    Phoenix 100mm Macro
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2009
    Very inaccurate. Any Pentax-branded M, A, M42 or newer lens will fit and function quite well on a Pentax DSLR. The M42 lenses require an adapter, preferably a Pentax OEM which will fit flush unlike the knockoffs.
    The issues that you are confusing here pertain to some older M42s, like some Mamiya/Sekor, that had the troublesome pin for their own proprietary aperture control system. Ricoh-style K-mounts have a flange that needs to be trimmed carefully to be able to be taken off the camera without trauma. You will find Vivitar Ricoh-K mount lenses with these problems, but you will also find Vivitar P/K/A mounts that work wonderfully.

M
    Manfr3d wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2009
    Now i am very confused. I tried to mount the Pentax SMC 50mm/1.7 M K-Mount (all manual) lens on the istDs and I could not close the diaphragm because of the aperature pin. Another lens the (?) Pentax SMC 35-135mm lens would sometimes lock to the body due to the long pin.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2009
    I have a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm Macro that won't mount properly, but there is a weird flat lever looking thing on the mount that I believe is causing the problem.

All of the following tested out perfectly on my K200D

A30 2.8
    M50 1.7
    A50 2.0
    M100 2.8
    ATAN 70-210
    JCPenney 135 2.8
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    You might have a Ricoh or Sears
    Perhaps you are confusing your Pentax 50mm lens models with another one made by Ricoh or Vivitar in the PK-R mount.

I used a Pentax 50mm f. 1.7 "M" lens on my *DS for two years until I sold the lens. I still have the *DS and just successfully mounted a Pentax 135mm f. 3.5 "M" on it and it worked as usual.

The "pin" you refer to is not round but is a narrow bar. It's easy to Google an image of that side of the lens.
    Sears for many years sold a K-mount SLR that was manufactured by Ricoh and accepted those flanged lenses. Sears also sold the more common generic K-mount cameras and lenses that were manufactured by several OEM, Pentax included I believe.
    In the day Pentax released the basic K-mount design to the public domain and quite a few third parties utilized it: Sears, Ricoh, Vivitar, and others.
    From Wikipedia the issue of a "pin" is addressed:
    "The R-K mount is used on Rikenon P lenses, Ricoh bodies that include the letter 'P' in their model number, and some non-Ricoh lenses. It is compatible with all other K-mount cameras and lenses when in manual or aperture-priority exposure modes, however the extra pin needs to be removed for safe use on autofocus Pentax cameras."

M
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Now i am very confused. I tried to mount the Pentax SMC 50mm/1.7 M K-Mount (all manual) lens on the istDs and I could not close the diaphragm because of the aperature pin. Another lens the (?) Pentax SMC 35-135mm lens would sometimes lock to the body due to the long pin.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    Well the lens did mount but I could not stop it down without removing the aperture pin (bar). It is a original SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm lens (Asahi Opt.Co., Japan). I have another original pentax lens the SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm/4.0 Makro 1:4 which works perfectly on the istDs and a SMC Pentax-A 35-135mm which has problems to unmount form the istDs. I don't know what the problem is but thats what I experienced. ne_nau.gif
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    That sounds like an unfortunate situation indeed and you have my sympathies. I've been following Pentax DSLR boards for years and this is on the unusual side. I've fitted and run through about 40 lenses of all sorts on my *DS and later cameras with zero problems.

M
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Well the lens did mount but I could not stop it down without removing the aperture pin (bar). It is a original SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm lens (Asahi Opt.Co., Japan). I have another original pentax lens the SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm/4.0 Makro 1:4 which works perfectly on the istDs and a SMC Pentax-A 35-135mm which has problems to unmount form the istDs. I don't know what the problem is but thats what I experienced. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    Ok, this is getting a bit ridiculous...

475075128_VG4VU-L.jpg

The SuperProgram is terrific, and came with an AF200T -- TTL flash on a manual focus body!

The K100 I thought I would like but really don't, so it won't stay in the collection very long.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    I have a SuperProgram as well; it's my sole Pentax film camera (I shot Nikon and Minolta in the film days and only came to Pentax 4 years ago with the *DS). So much fun to use. Stick a 40mm pancake lens on that SuperProgram and it is very pocketable.

M
    Grainbelt wrote:
    Ok, this is getting a bit ridiculous...

The SuperProgram is terrific, and came with an AF200T -- TTL flash on a manual focus body!

The K100 I thought I would like but really don't, so it won't stay in the collection very long.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    Stick a 40mm pancake lens on that SuperProgram and it is very pocketable.

M

deal.gif

My Pentax SMC-M 40mm F2.8 pancake shows 'delivered' on Canada Post's website. Bought it from a pentaxforums.com member in Nova Scotia... I love the interwebs.

I may have to go home for lunch today. Will post pics this evening. I think the 40mm on my ME will be my backup motorcycling camera.

edit:This lens/body combination is terrific, moreso in that it debuted around the time I was born.

523592281_o2deB-L.jpg