Options

Lighting a bride and groom

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited February 13, 2009 in Technique
I was asked to photograph a bride and groom (who got married in another country awhile ago but never had pictures taken) My studio isn't really large enough to accomodate a full length portrait therefore I must move around my house a bit to accommodate such a thing. I warned the mother of the bride (the one who contacted me) about the limitations but she still wants to try it out. Soo..... I have a nice staircase I should be able to make something work... any suggestions as to where I can place the lighting for that kind of shot? There is quite a bit of natural light there. Would I go for the natural light? Have someone hold a reflector or move my 3x4 ft softbox around the house with me and use a reflector for fill? My trouble is always flat lighting so I am trying hard to change that.

So here is the scenario. .... bride one step below groom on staircase. diffused natural light coming in from below and no natural light from above. Though by turning on a light in the hallway above can make the ratio probably 5 to 1 or so.... So where would you suggest I place artificial lighting if improve the ratio and create the catch lights that I so need in my pictures? I have the 3x4 ft softbox a 2x2 ft softbox and a 10x36 strip light to work with... various reflectors and 2 SB 800's if I don't want to be plugging stuff in.....

I also have 2 large picture windows.. one with northern light and one with southern light. (in separate places) Both can be diffused with sheer curtains or opened up. This causes quite a bit of backlighting but would be an easy place for me to be able to do full length or do something creative with the bride alone. Any suggestions on camera settings and lighting position for this one?

Sorry so long and confusing but if anyone can figure out what I am talking about I would appreciate any advice given. Thank much.... Happy Friday the 13th! Sandy
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Just a couple of ideas
    I was asked to photograph a bride and groom (who got married in another country awhile ago but never had pictures taken) My studio isn't really large enough to accomodate a full length portrait therefore I must move around my house a bit to accommodate such a thing. I warned the mother of the bride (the one who contacted me) about the limitations but she still wants to try it out. Soo..... I have a nice staircase I should be able to make something work... any suggestions as to where I can place the lighting for that kind of shot? There is quite a bit of natural light there. Would I go for the natural light? Have someone hold a reflector or move my 3x4 ft softbox around the house with me and use a reflector for fill? My trouble is always flat lighting so I am trying hard to change that.

So here is the scenario. .... bride one step below groom on staircase. diffused natural light coming in from below and no natural light from above. Though by turning on a light in the hallway above can make the ratio probably 5 to 1 or so.... So where would you suggest I place artificial lighting if improve the ratio and create the catch lights that I so need in my pictures? I have the 3x4 ft softbox a 2x2 ft softbox and a 10x36 strip light to work with... various reflectors and 2 SB 800's if I don't want to be plugging stuff in.....
    The hallway light - probably a tungsten light - right? If so, there is no chance of getting it to match the color of the natural light. If you understand that going in, you might very well be able to put together something quite nice - As Jeffreaux has often written (I'm paraphrasing here) "Warm is good."

That having been said, you have plenty of light (of the artifical variety) if you can get it to all pop at the same time.

Put an SB above (snooted/gridded maybe) for some dramatic high-lighting. You softboxes, the larger for fill and the smaller for key lighting - that'll get you your catchlights. The fill will be quite close to the camera and the key will be off the camera-subject line and, if possible, somewhere above the level of his eyes.
    I also have 2 large picture windows.. one with northern light and one with southern light. (in separate places) Both can be diffused with sheer curtains or opened up. This causes quite a bit of backlighting but would be an easy place for me to be able to do full length or do something creative with the bride alone. Any suggestions on camera settings and lighting position for this one?
    The north facing window would be my first choice. Maybe something like
    • Camera to the left of the window, facing to the right
    • Them to the right of the window, facing half-way between the window and the camera.
    • Maybe set your large softbox facing the window for fill - try some with and some without
    • Take some with and without the sheers acting as modifiers.
    • Take some more with and without the sheers even in the frame.
    • If the wall behind them is not photogenic, maybe an appropriately colored sheet for a backdrop - just tape it to the wall with some of that blue painter's masking tape - easy on/easy off. Of course, you'll need that some distance behind them so as to better throw it OOF.
    Sorry so long and confusing but if anyone can figure out what I am talking about I would appreciate any advice given. Thank much.... Happy Friday the 13th! Sandy
    HTH - just some ideas that popped into my head
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Thanks for your input Scott... Your suggesstions sound do-able. I am hoping I can find somebody to try this on before they come on Sunday! My kids ( actually all adults :) aren't too willing to stand for any length of time...and neither will the animals.... Think I have to buy a blow up doll! :D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!