Options

beginner macro lenses

ChoeyRepliedChoeyReplied Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited February 19, 2009 in Accessories
Hey All,

This is my first post. registered a few weeks ago. So i have never really shot much macro stuff and i think it is so sweet. I'm looking for some suggestion on lenses. I have a Nikon D40x. Basically where do i begin? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Nikon makes a 105mm f/2.8 macro lens that will work great. Also a 60mm macro lens if the almost $900 price tag is too much. Either one of those will get you started nice and good. Also, if once you've shot that a bit and feel like you want to get a bit closer to your subject and also gain a 2:1 magnification ratio (2 times life size vs the 1:1 the two links I provided give you), then look into the Kenko extension tube set.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin! thumb.gif

And may I say you've found a downright wonderful place for exactly this kind of question!

I spent so much time on my reply, Candid Arts has already summed up what I had to say nicely! But here's the long version:

Since you say you've registered a few weeks ago, I'm guessing you've checked out some of the masterpieces being turned out in the macro forum? I'm sure a few of the shooters over there will be happy to dive into this thread in due course, and let you know what they prefer to use. To start off in macro, we need to know a few things. You've said D40x, little experience, hungry for macro. I'm going to assume you're on the market for a dedicated macro lens, so then the biggest question is focal length. You have choices ranging from 50mm to 200mm or so. The shorter the focal length, the easier to use, and the less light you need to handhold the camera effectively. Longer lenses usually need some kind of support, are a fair bit trickier to use, but have some advantages in that they can be farther away from skittish bugs, can have superior background blur, etc.

I'd recommend a shorter lens (~50mm - ~100mm), which will also be cheaper, and as you get more involved in macro, you'll know better if you want another, more specialized lens.

I don't shoot Nikon, but some of the more recommended lenses would include the Micro-Nikkor AF-S 60mm, and the Micro-Nikkor AF-S 105mm VR.

AF-S means they both have very nice, silent-wave focus motors that work on the D40x, the micro is nikon-speak for macro, and VR in the case of the 105mm means it has a shake reduction system for when it's used for more "normal" photography (read, it's not going to do much good when used at macro range, but still nice to have). You can also consider lenses made by Sigma and Tamron in the nikon F-mount. The lucky thing about macro lenses is there's no such thing as a bad one. 3rd parties make lenses that usually sacrifice a little in build quality (though not always) and give reduced prices for optics that are still very high performance.

3rd party lenses to consider here would be the sigma 50, 70, and 105mm macros, and the tamron 90mm.

Personally, I would suggest you choose between the sigma 50 and 70, or the Nikon 60, depending on budget, and personal preference. The nikon will likely give the best focusing performance, but otherwise all three ought to be pretty awesome. Look at the 90 and 105s if you want to do more bugs, and are willing to go through a slightly steeper learning curve. Same advice applies as for the shorties.

And by all means, check them out for yourself:

http://photozone.de/Reviews/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php
  • Options
    ChoeyRepliedChoeyReplied Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Wow guys thanks for the info. This is obviously a great forum, I'm going to start doing so research about all those lenses and read some reviews. One more questions though. One of my buddies always buys his lenses on eBay and he says it is great cause he get them real cheap but i don;t think i could bring my self to buy something like that without seeing up up close. Any advice there?
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    i don;t think i could bring my self to buy something like that without seeing up up close. Any advice there?

If you want to save some coin and buy used, I'd recommend one of the well-reputed online retailers such as KEH, B&H, or Adorama. thumb.gif
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    If price is an issue, Sigma also makes a 50mm macro lens that has gotten good reviews! $250 range
    http://www.adorama.com/SG5028DNKAF.html?searchinfo=sigma%2050mm%20nikon%20macro&item_no=2

I've the Nikkor 60mm Macro and it's a very very sweet lens but for as little as I do macro stuff, I feel I should have gone for the sigma instead. Guess with the weather so bad outside, I'll be doing more macro practice inside!
    //Leah
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Wow guys thanks for the info. This is obviously a great forum, I'm going to start doing so research about all those lenses and read some reviews. One more questions though. One of my buddies always buys his lenses on eBay and he says it is great cause he get them real cheap but i don;t think i could bring my self to buy something like that without seeing up up close. Any advice there?
    Generally speaking, I'd say trust your gut, I'm also a bit wary of eBay, while I'm sure there are some great deals, when spending lens money, I want a sure thing.

Grainbelt's advice is excellent, with the bigger names you can rely on some customer support if things go sideways. Also check for refurbished lenses, these are often a great deal, and have been through the quality control process twice.

If budget is really tight there are some options for adapting cheaper lenses to macro, but you're probably going to want the real deal eventually, and might as well not spend any extra money on the way there.
  • Options
    dogbertdogbert Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2009
    That Canon 50mm lens is pretty good.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    dogbert wrote:
    That Canon 50mm lens is pretty good.

Except the OP has a Nikon ;)
    //Leah
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    The D40X does not have a AF motor built into the body, so you'll need to make sure that the lens you get has a built in AF motor in the lens if you want AF.

I think both the Nikon 60mm and 105mm micro lenses have AF motors but I don't think any of the third party lenses do yet.

As for getting lenses of eBay, if the price is right then it may be worth it but if there is a problem with the lens when you get it, it gets to be a bit of a hassle with contacting the seller, returning it, and dealing with Paypal and such.

I'd check local places like this forum and such first, maybe Craiglist where you can check out the lens in person or such first.

Good luck.
  • Options
    eminarteminart Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    I don't know how much or how little you want to spend, but in the $400 range (which was what I had to work with a couple of months ago when I bought my macro lens) you could get the Tamron 90mm or the Tokina 100mm both of which get great reviews. I opted for the Tokina. I BELIEVE the newest version of the Tamron (like in the past month or so) does have an internal focusing motor that will work on your D40, but the older version and the Tokina both do not. However, autofocus is fairly useless in macro photography anyway. And of course you could go with the highly-praised Nikon models as well. Oh, and Sigma makes a couple too.......... Basically, you can't go wrong with any of them.