Options

new to LR, file name ?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited February 15, 2009 in Finishing School
I've just started working through some Lynda.com tutorials on LR (I have 1.4)...wowee...I'm liking what I see as far as organizational capabilities! I downloaded some pics from a memory card to mess with and my filenames became _-20.CR2, _-21.CR2, and so on. I've looked through my preferences, as I figured I must have something set strangely, but I'm not figuring it out. How can I get the filenames back to IMG_7831.CR2? When I brought a pic into LR from my hardrive, that sort of filename was retained.
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    GrinningBearGrinningBear Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Sounds like you changed something on the "Import from device" option. You can change the filenaming conventions there. The setting below should give you the same name as it is on the card.

import.jpg

To fix the files already in the library with the wrong names, the only way I know of is to remove them from the library and reimport them.....

Regards,
    Robert
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Sounds like you changed something on the "Import from device" option. You can change the filenaming conventions there. The setting below should give you the same name as it is on the card.

import.jpg

To fix the files already in the library with the wrong names, the only way I know of is to remove them from the library and reimport them.....

Regards,
    Robert

There it is! I knew it would be something simple. Thank you very much!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    I use the rename command all the time in Lightroom (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/2.0/WSCF140965-2440-4b65-9F88-AA0283034B11.html) basically what I do is import using the date grouping, then I go through and reject lots of photos; then I highlight all the images and press F2 to rename them to be the names I want to use.

Hope that helps.

Also I have started to worry less about the file names as I have gotten more and more into a workflow that relies on the output file naming. So that when I export photos from Yankee Stadium it is exported at YankeeStadium-XX and then for my digital frame it is DigFrame-XX and the same photo might be in both exports.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact