Options

Shooting Sunsets

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited February 12, 2009 in Technique
Has anyone got any tutorials on shooting Sunsets. Am I right in saying you should never use AWB and if so what would be the best settings. I normally shoot Manual Raw +L.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 3, 2009
    Bob, I think this is one of those areas where some folks may disagree.

The actual color temperature varies a great deal in a short period of time around sunrise and sunset. The color temp may vary almost from frame to frame near sunset, so most are going to adjust their color temp in RAW processing to taste.

I use AWB ( and feel quite free to alter this in RAW processing ), but would not argue with folks that choose Sunlight or even 5000 Kelvin. I will be interested in the answers other readers will post here about this topic.

How do you handle this?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Bob, I think this is one of those areas where some folks may disagree.

The actual color temperature varies a great deal in a short period of time around sunrise and sunset. The color temp may vary almost from frame to frame near sunset, so most are going to adjust their color temp in RAW processing to taste.

I use AWB ( and feel quite free to alter this in RAW processing ), but would not argue with folks that choose Sunlight or even 5000 Kelvin. I will be interested in the answers other readers will post here about this topic.

How do you handle this?

Thanks for replying Pathfinder. I read an article on White Balance in PhotoPlus magazine and I am unable to find it again. However, I am sure it said never use AWB when taking sunsets. I have been in the habit of using AWB and if need be relied totally on Adobe ACR presets covering the white balance aspect. I am also quite interested in what others have to say on this topic.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 4, 2009
    I do the same as Pathfinder. I always shoot AWB and RAW anyway.

I guess I don't quite get the concern. When you're shooting RAW, you have full control over WB in the RAW converter. The WB set in the camera is only a suggestion to the RAW converter and has no effect whatsoever on the actual pixels that come out of the camera. The only other way the camera WB setting comes into play is affecting how the picture looks on the camera's LCD display. I'm guessing the concerns about not using AWB when shooting sunsets were probably directed at shooting JPG, not RAW.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    i usually set my WB to Cloudy just so i have a baseline set for WB.
    specifically if i plan on doing a pano which during sunset must be done very fast as you can imagine... but shoot raw for sure....

but really i guess it does not matter, you can shoot AWB and then when you bring them in with ACR or whatever you can sync them all to the same WB setting.

if you shoot Jpeg, then you must set WB...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    specifically if i plan on doing a pano which during sunset must be done very fast as you can imagine... but shoot raw for sure....

but really i guess it does not matter, you can shoot AWB and then when you bring them in with ACR or whatever you can sync them all to the same WB setting.

if you shoot Jpeg, then you must set WB...

Thanks Joel and Aaron. Yes I am sure you are right in what you say. I have since found the article in PhotoPlus and it has a X against AWB and should shoot Cloudy for sunsets. However, it didn't say anything about Raw or Jpegs. As I have already said I have always used AWB and any necessary change done it in ACR.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 4, 2009
    Not sure I understand what Cloudy offers over AWB, Aaron. The only effect will be on the jpg on your LCD won't it?

I seem to remember Marc saying he uses 5000 K frequently and he shoots RAW of course as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009

Interesting. I always shoot RAW + AWB as the WB is not set in stone until you process the raw image. Anyway, your comment about setting WB to cloudy got my attention. Is there any more wisdom you can share about how you would adjust the WB in post?
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Not sure I understand what Cloudy offers over AWB, Aaron. The only effect will be on the jpg on your LCD won't it?

yes, for sure it affects your LCD, thats prolly another reason i do it come to think of it....

scientifically the WB setting should not affect your raw files right?

anyway, i guess i like all the raw files to pop up in bridge with a set WB, where AWB adjusts per exposure....(maybe there is a way to default a WB setting for bridge thumbnails, i dont know)

it really does not matter anyhow, i just end up sync'g all the raw expos from one pano to a WB setting i feel looks best ....

now the trick is taking a great pano to put forth the effort in post, something im affraid does not happen much for me...

(but im learning the hard-way most of the time):D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Joel and Aaron. Yes I am sure you are right in what you say. I have since found the article in PhotoPlus and it has a X against AWB and should shoot Cloudy for sunsets. However, it didn't say anything about Raw or Jpegs. As I have already said I have always used AWB and any necessary change done it in ACR.
    Regards
    Bob
    I shoot in cloudy but the most important thing is that I shoot in RAW for the same reason as Joel and Aaron. If the color balance is not just right then the RAW import processing is the opportunity to correct that when in JPEG well ... too bad !

My choice of selecting cloudy instead of AWB is twofold :
    1) in case of pano or other picture merging (think HDR for example with the high dynamic range you can have in these conditions) it is good to have a consistent balance. And I am generally selecting the white balance beforehand with my best guesstimate or based on what I am seeing on the previous shots (which could have been too warm or too cold)
    2) I am a control freak and the more control you give to me in a camera the less I will put my trust on the related automatic features ... this second reason got me more than once (instant shots missed because I was in full manual and wasn't fast enough to adapt the setting to this new situation, crapy photo made by friend because I forgot to set it back to a more point and shoot mode and they just pointed and shot and many others :) )

Anyway the basic advice you'll see is indeed cloudy setting because it warms the thing as opposed to the AWB that can be fooled by the light conditions at this time.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2009
    frel wrote:
    I shoot in cloudy but the most important thing is that I shoot in RAW for the same reason as Joel and Aaron. If the color balance is not just right then the RAW import processing is the opportunity to correct that when in JPEG well ... too bad !

1) in case of pano or other picture merging (think HDR for example with the high dynamic range you can have in these conditions) it is good to have a consistent balance. And I am generally selecting the white balance beforehand with my best guesstimate or based on what I am seeing on the previous shots (which could have been too warm or too cold)
    2) I am a control freak and the more control you give to me in a camera the less I will put my trust on the related automatic features ... this second reason got me more than once (instant shots missed because I was in full manual and wasn't fast enough to adapt the setting to this new situation, crapy photo made by friend because I forgot to set it back to a more point and shoot mode and they just pointed and shot and many others :) )

Anyway the basic advice you'll see is indeed cloudy setting because it warms the thing as opposed to the AWB that can be fooled by the light conditions at this time.

Thanks Frel for that great advice.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 10, 2009
    frel wrote:

I'm afraid those two arguments don't really hold water. For panos and HDRs, you'll want to use exactly the same RAW converter settings for each contributing frame. Therefore, the in-camera WB setting doesn't matter.

As to being a control freak, your ultimate controls are in the RAW converter. The in-camera settings are only relevant if you use the default "As Shot" white balance setting. I would think being a control freak, you'd be selecting your own white balance in the RAW converter rather than relying on the camera's nebulous notion of "cloudy" to process your shot.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Another vote for AWB; RAW

Too much other stuff to watch and enjoy toying with.

Only time I see WB issues is with mixed lighting and then, well, then the setting is still goofed up~

tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    aim&shootaim&shoot Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    I tend to forget at time's that I set my WB to a certain setting and forget on the next shot... I usually use the preset setting's but than revert to auto when I don't know...

So is leaving it on cloudy the best bet for most circumstances?

How about night shot's, like the moon, what does everyone usually set their WB at?

I am still playing around with my setting's and I end up reverting to auto when shooting at night...

And what does everyone usually set their picture control? Does that matter with WB?

Sorry if their dumb question's, me still learning lot's here...

Thanks for any input...

Nikon D90
    Nikkor VR 18-105mm 3.5-5.6
    Sigma DG 28-300mm 3.5-6.3
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2009
    aim&shoot wrote:
    I tend to forget at time's that I set my WB to a certain setting and forget on the next shot... I usually use the preset setting's but than revert to auto when I don't know...

So is leaving it on cloudy the best bet for most circumstances?

How about night shot's, like the moon, what does everyone usually set their WB at?

I am still playing around with my setting's and I end up reverting to auto when shooting at night...

And what does everyone usually set their picture control? Does that matter with WB?

Sorry if their dumb question's, me still learning lot's here...

Thanks for any input...

I took this Sunset shot so what do ya think?

474382091_gskvo-L.jpg