Options

going to Antarctica...any tips?

rsbjsbrsbjsb Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited February 16, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
We're including Falklands, South Georgia and Shetlands...any tips on lens/angles/ice/glare? thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    circular polarizers and neutral density filters - graduated and non graduated -Lee or other good rectangle type of filters, easier to use and can fit multi lenses with an adapter .....dark sunglasses and good warm layers:D...........lenses .....wide angles or wide zoom (10-20 & 24-70) and also good medium zoom (70-200) at least...........that would be my startingchoice and if I could afford to buy or rent a long tele (500-800), I would............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    rsbjsb wrote:
    We're including Falklands, South Georgia and Shetlands...any tips on lens/angles/ice/glare? thanks!

Don't forget to add exposure when you're in a mostly white environment ... bracketing comes in really useful. I took an 18-200 that I used most of the time and a 100-400 that I used some of the time ... in most cases the wildlife is in-you-face close ... monopod came in handy on landings (no good on the ship unless it's smooth sailing, but even then, I handheld all those shots). Circular polarizer and ND filter for sure. Don't just stay on the upper decks, go down low for great perspectives. The stern is usually the best place for birds in flight ... try and find something angled to lean up against (on the Molchanov, we propped ourselves against the cranes used to hoist the zodiacs on and off the ship). Take a back-up camera body. Handwarmers in a pocket of the parka do wonders for reviving dying camera batteries.

Have a terrific time. We did your itinerary in January '07 ... the most spectacular experience of our lives thus far.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    No tips from me but make sure you share your shots with us here when you get back! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    What does a trip like this cost? For the entire trip... And how long do you have to plan ahead for this?

You're going to have a great experience, something that I've always wanted to do. Can't wait to see the results.