Options

Manual mode, color, catchlight, etc

GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited February 19, 2009 in Technique
Hi everyone!

Please can you review and offer some CC on these pics. I am practicing on the following:

Using my camera on Manual mode instead of Aperture Priority. I have noticed on manual, the colors look way different than on AP (better on AP) (I have a Nikon D90, 50mm 1.8).

I read that to get the sparkle (Catchlight) in the eyes, we need to use a flash and flip-up the on flash diffuser ( practicing with an SB-600)

Below the link. These pics are straight from camera, no edits. I realized later, I should have taken them RAW to adjust the white balance, but I can try again!! :)

Thanks everyone!
Below the link

http://anagiltaylorphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/7347232_7vfgo#472905154_qYXxq

Comments

• Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    When I clicked on the link, I was expecting to see a lot of photos. They are only three, which would be easy to link here. headscratch.gif I recommend you post the pictures instead of the link for more views.

The only issue I see is the over exposure on #2. Other than that they all look fine. One thing you might want to get is a speed flip to get the flash further off the top of the camera. Also, images SOOC will never look their best. You have to do some PP to them.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    When I clicked on the link, I was expecting to see a lot of photos. They are only three, which would be easy to link here. headscratch.gif I recommend you post the pictures instead of the link for more views.

The only issue I see is the over exposure on #2. Other than that they all look fine. One thing you might want to get is a speed flip to get the flash further off the top of the camera. Also, images SOOC will never look their best. You have to do some PP to them.

Hi Trevlan
    Thanks for your comments and suggestion..
    How do I add more than one pic to a thread?
    Thanks.
    GG
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    There is a link for posting pictures. Usually the code is url here and

On smugmug go to share and get link large.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    GemGem wrote:
    Hi Trevlan
    Thanks for your comments and suggestion..
    How do I add more than one pic to a thread?
    Thanks.
    GG
    Posting images .... See the link in my signature ...

As for color differences between manual and aperture priority - fundamentally, there should be no difference unless you are selecting settings different from that selected by your camera. Even then, there should be little difference. This all assumes, of course, that your settings are appropriate for the conditions and that you are getting a sufficient exposure (your EXIF in your photos seems to indicate that this is not a problem :D).
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2009
    Posting images .... See the link in my signature ...

As for color differences between manual and aperture priority - fundamentally, there should be no difference unless you are selecting settings different from that selected by your camera. Even then, there should be little difference. This all assumes, of course, that your settings are appropriate for the conditions and that you are getting a sufficient exposure (your EXIF in your photos seems to indicate that this is not a problem :D).

Thanks Scott_Quier. I leave the settings the same. I still see a color difference when I shoot Manual vs Aperture Priority, in either case, I really like Manual mode, so flexible!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    GemGem wrote:
    Thanks Scott_Quier. I leave the settings the same. I still see a color difference when I shoot Manual vs Aperture Priority, in either case, I really like Manual mode, so flexible!

In manual mode how are you metering?? With in cam meter?? With a handheld incident meter??

or is it off the histogram that you are trying for the perfect shot??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 19, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    In manual mode how are you metering?? With in cam meter?? With a handheld incident meter??

or is it off the histogram that you are trying for the perfect shot??

I look at both. In cam meter and Histogram. I am going to keep practicing. Others see no difference, but I do.

Thank you Art Scott :D
    GG
  • Options
    speedracer04speedracer04 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    GemGem wrote:
    I look at both. In cam meter and Histogram. I am going to keep practicing. Others see no difference, but I do.

Thank you Art Scott :D
    GG

I may be missing something but it may help others to see the difference you are seeing if you take the same photo in both modes, by using a tripod maybe.

edit, that is just about the color. nice photos though