Options

Two more from the Rookery

gaylenickgaylenick Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited May 15, 2005 in Wildlife
Hello everyone!

I am Gayle Nick from Harry's earlier thread. This is a short post to introduce myself and to tell you all how much I admire the wonderful photography on DGrin.

With any luck, I am going to try to post two pictures from yesterday...Here goes.

1.) Harry, Trish and Kerwin - where's Richard?
21980835-M.jpg

2.) Snow Egret Showing Off
21979912-M.jpg

Harry, Trish, Kerwin and Richard - I enjoyed meeting you yesterday. If anyone from DGrin needs information on St. Augustine. Just let me know. I love playing Chamber of Commerce for our beautiful little city.

Gayle

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Welcome clap.gif

Great stuff as anticipated thumb.gif

#2 showing off is that the bird or your work, either way Excellent cheerleader.gif

However
    #1 are those birds of prey ?? :lol4
    Hope ya didn't get to close :D
    Don't worry the rest of us are OK rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Welcome Gayle,

clap.gifwave.gifcheerleader.gifdrums.gifDJ.gifylsuper.gif10944573-Ti.gif :booze beer.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif

It was great meeting you. Those are 3 pretty strange birds in that first shot or was that part of the gator exhibit. rolleyes1.gif Richard missed that shot because he got all excited when he filled up his first CF card and he rushed out to the SUV to download it and to chimp on his lapttop. Rookies, what are you going to do with them?

That snowy egret pic is soooo good! ylsuper.gif
    The colors and exposure are on the mark and the composition is very interesting.

I want to see more and more and ........

Thanks for sharing your shots with us.

[
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 13, 2005
    Welcome Gayle wave.gif
    Nice snowy shot thumb.gifthumb.gif That's a nice group shot too. Kirwin and Trish look great. Not so sure about that old dewd on the left though :lol

J/K You must have had a ball shooting with Harry clap.gif He is soooooo funny and fast becoming an excellent photographer too.

You guys and gals have me drooling over these rookery shots. I have even been turning folks from other forums on to that place. Including one of my favorite birders over at DPR. Here's his response to Harry's pics.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to Dgrin :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    welcome and very nice shots --but is THAT what retirement looks like headscratch.gif well I'am off to work :D please keep posting thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    KirwinKirwin Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    OK Ben, I'm sure both you and Henry had a good laugh at my expense. mwink.gif Especially since Henry has more feathers left than I do!:lol
    bfjr wrote:

However
    Regards,
    Kirwin
  • Options
    KirwinKirwin Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Hi Gayle,Welcome to DGrin!!! Great shot of the egret!clap.gif I sure hope my "mug" hasn't caused any damage to your cam!:yikes rolleyes1.gif
    Regards,
    Kirwin
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    Thank you, Ben
    Your nice comments on my egret shot really make me feel great. I have watched all the great photography on DGrin and learned so much. Compliments from you guys, are like compliments from a teacher.
    As far as shot number 1 goes, those guys were great. I would have lurked forever, if not for meeting them.
    bfjr wrote:
    Welcome clap.gif

Great stuff as anticipated thumb.gif

#2 showing off is that the bird or your work, either way Excellent cheerleader.gif

However
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    Thank You, Harry
    Thank you for your wonderful comments on my Snowy Egret. And...Thank you, for your post this morning. It was the nudge I needed. Posting on DGrin is not near as hard as I thought it would be. WHAT FUN!
    Now I remember what happened to Richard. Sorry Richard you needed to be in that shot, also.
    It was nice meeting you on Thursday. I wil post more, when I have shots I think are DGrin worthy.

Gayle
    Harryb wrote:
    Welcome Gayle,

clap.gifwave.gifcheerleader.gifdrums.gifDJ.gifylsuper.gif10944573-Ti.gif :booze beer.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif

It was great meeting you. Those are 3 pretty strange birds in that first shot or was that part of the gator exhibit. rolleyes1.gif Richard missed that shot because he got all excited when he filled up his first CF card and he rushed out to the SUV to download it and to chimp on his lapttop. Rookies, what are you going to do with them?

That snowy egret pic is soooo good! ylsuper.gif
    The colors and exposure are on the mark and the composition is very interesting.

I want to see more and more and ........

Thanks for sharing your shots with us.

[
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    Thank You, Steve
    Steve,

Thank you for the nice comments. What a friendly place. I only got to talk with the DGrin group for a short time. But, I can assure you they were having a great time.

Gayle
    Welcome Gayle wave.gif
    Nice snowy shot thumb.gifthumb.gif That's a nice group shot too. Kirwin and Trish look great. Not so sure about that old dewd on the left though :lol

J/K You must have had a ball shooting with Harry clap.gif He is soooooo funny and fast becoming an excellent photographer too.

You guys and gals have me drooling over these rookery shots. I have even been turning folks from other forums on to that place. Including one of my favorite birders over at DPR. Here's his response to Harry's pics.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to Dgrin :D

Steve
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    Thank You, Jeff
    Jeff,

Once again, thank you for the nice comments. I will post when I have shots that are worthy of this forum. It is great to watch this Dgrin. I see people do great things with their photographs. Maybe, that is why I have been a little shy about posting.

Gayle
    jwear wrote:
    welcome and very nice shots --but is THAT what retirement looks like headscratch.gif well I'am off to work :D please keep posting thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Hey, Gayle,

Show us your mug!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    Kirwin, My Camera's In Great Shape
    Thank you for welcoming me to Dgrin and for the compliment on my Egret shot. It was nice meeting you yesterday.

Gayle
    Kirwin wrote:
    Hi Gayle,Welcome to DGrin!!! Great shot of the egret!clap.gif I sure hope my "mug" hasn't caused any damage to your cam!:yikes rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    David
    Maybe next post. I have just graduated from posting 101. Emoticons and Avatars are in advanced studies. I will see what I can find.

Gayle

DavidTO wrote:
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Good shot of the egret, Gayle. My sister's name is Gayle, spelled like yours. She does not do photography.

I loved seeing the first shot, the one of Harry et al.

All photos are dgrin worthy. Some people worry about that, and the rest of us just post some junk, and, hopefully, some good stuff. The junk would be me, along with some better stuff...........sometimes.

I don't have a rookery like that. I have a rookery like, I will post it when I find the shot. That looks like a fantastic place.

Some of us are still scrounging in backyard ditches desperately trying to find a wading bird, and some of us have rookeries. My first egret was a kind of backyard ditch bird........a lake behind some houses, kind of stagnant and not known for egrets. I was so excited. An egret and a heron hung around for a few weeks in the winter. I have not seen any there in ages.

Daunting, a bit, I would think. I had never heard of a rookery when I started this thing about 6 months ago. I belong to a place, an annual pass. It is an old plantation, in an area of other old plantations..........it serves many purposes: natural looking flowers all over, a beautiful place on the Ashley River right outside of Charleston South Carolina. It is a protected wildlife reserve, birds mostly, with acres and acres a part of the whole. Something for everyone. But not a rookery like yours: I guess one would say a rookery like mine.

I can get in early, I hear now, and if I get in before they close at 5:30, there is no time limit as to how long I can stay. I have scared the beejeesus out of myself, not realizing how dark it is going to be to walk through the trees on my way out. I have scared myself enough, that I am still scared to get too close to that witching hour, being the only one there, on acres of land, with many very dark areas. Or hoping I am the only one there.

When I leave the gate automatically opens to let me out. That scared me the first time I stayed late. I was already a nervous wreck and I saw a closed fence. I would not let my husband hang up his cell until I was out of there. And I bought a small flashlight.

Don't be afraid to post. People are posting with their first birds, not waiting to be worthy. Besides..........Harry is going to post great birds all the time. No matching that, not for me.

gingerwave.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Hiya Gayle...and welcome to DGRIN!!clap.gif

Great shots for your first post!! It was very nice to have n=met you and hopefully when we get back up there we will be able to meet again. Pleas don't be shy..post what you got yesterday!
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    I may just take you up on that offer!
    gaylenick wrote:
    Hello everyone!

I am Gayle Nick from Harry's earlier thread. This is a short post to introduce myself and to tell you all how much I admire the wonderful photography on DGrin.

If anyone from DGrin needs information on St. Augustine. Just let me know. I love playing Chamber of Commerce for our beautiful little city.

Gayle
    Hi Gayle!

Great photos, and welcome to (delurking at) Dgrin! I'm known to lurk a bit myself at times, Laughing.gif!

We are planning a trip to Palm Coast (just south of St. Augustine) in June from the 12th -19th (well, depending on a family situation). Would love to have you play Chamber of Commerce for us and share your knowledge of the area for us newbies there. The rookery you all went to is definitely something we'd like to see (I've emailed Harry B as well). We may have our grandson with us, so we might be looking for things a 4 1/2 year old would enjoy doing as well.

Really enjoyed reading about your outting with fellow Dgrinners. It's such a treat to do things like that (we just met up with a group of Dgrinners in Yosemite...what wondeful time we had there, despite a bit of rain and my coming down with a yucky cold). There's nothing quite like sharing a time of serious photography with others of the same mindset, is there? Sounds like you guys had quite a full day of it! I'm really looking forward to going to the rookery you all went to, and hopefully we'll get to meet up with some fellow Dgrinners there in Florida as well!

Cheers!
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    Thank You, Ginger
    Thank you Ginger for your words of encouragement. I always watch for your post because A.) I like your pictures and B.) I am familiar with then Charleston area. We kept our boat in Savannah for a couple of years. On rainy weekends, we would take road trips up into South Carolina. What a beautiful state. The South Carolina coast in outstanding. I love taking pictures of anything and everything. It would take me weeks in Charleston just to photograph the obvious places.

I have a question for you that is Dgrin related. How do you reply to someone's post that has attachments/pictures in it, without the pictures coming up again? I wanted to reply to Harry's thread yesterday, and always had the pictures included. So my only solution was to start this thread.

Once again, thank you for the encouragement and the advice. Have a great weekend.

Gayle
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Good shot of the egret, Gayle. My sister's name is Gayle, spelled like yours. She does not do photography.

I loved seeing the first shot, the one of Harry et al.

All photos are dgrin worthy. Some people worry about that, and the rest of us just post some junk, and, hopefully, some good stuff. The junk would be me, along with some better stuff...........sometimes.

I don't have a rookery like that. I have a rookery like, I will post it when I find the shot. That looks like a fantastic place.

Some of us are still scrounging in backyard ditches desperately trying to find a wading bird, and some of us have rookeries. My first egret was a kind of backyard ditch bird........a lake behind some houses, kind of stagnant and not known for egrets. I was so excited. An egret and a heron hung around for a few weeks in the winter. I have not seen any there in ages.

Daunting, a bit, I would think. I had never heard of a rookery when I started this thing about 6 months ago. I belong to a place, an annual pass. It is an old plantation, in an area of other old plantations..........it serves many purposes: natural looking flowers all over, a beautiful place on the Ashley River right outside of Charleston South Carolina. It is a protected wildlife reserve, birds mostly, with acres and acres a part of the whole. Something for everyone. But not a rookery like yours: I guess one would say a rookery like mine.

I can get in early, I hear now, and if I get in before they close at 5:30, there is no time limit as to how long I can stay. I have scared the beejeesus out of myself, not realizing how dark it is going to be to walk through the trees on my way out. I have scared myself enough, that I am still scared to get too close to that witching hour, being the only one there, on acres of land, with many very dark areas. Or hoping I am the only one there.

When I leave the gate automatically opens to let me out. That scared me the first time I stayed late. I was already a nervous wreck and I saw a closed fence. I would not let my husband hang up his cell until I was out of there. And I bought a small flashlight.

Don't be afraid to post. People are posting with their first birds, not waiting to be worthy. Besides..........Harry is going to post great birds all the time. No matching that, not for me.

gingerwave.gif
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    Thanks Trish
    I really enjoyed meeting all of you on Thursday. Hope you got some wonderful photographs. It is a bit intimadating posting with you professionals. But, I will keep it up. Right now I am working on the Dgrin learning curve. (See earlier question to Ginger.)

Gayle
    Trish323 wrote:
    Hiya Gayle...and welcome to DGRIN!!clap.gif

Great shots for your first post!! It was very nice to have n=met you and hopefully when we get back up there we will be able to meet again. Pleas don't be shy..post what you got yesterday!
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    gaylenick wrote:
    I have a question for you that is Dgrin related. How do you reply to someone's post that has attachments/pictures in it, without the pictures coming up again? I wanted to reply to Harry's thread yesterday, and always had the pictures included. So my only solution was to start this thread.
    Gayle
    May I help?
    Just delete the tags and the text between them.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    Thank You
    Nee -

Than you for the words of encouragement. This afternoon will be busy with non-photographic activities. So, I will try to post in the landscape forum this evening a short visitors guide to St, Auggie. Maybe, even included a few pictures.

I have loved viewing all the pictures from Yosemite. It looks like a great time was had by all.

Have a wonderful weekend. Will post later about St. Augustine

Gayle
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Hi Gayle!

Great photos, and welcome to (delurking at) Dgrin! I'm known to lurk a bit myself at times, Laughing.gif!

We are planning a trip to Palm Coast (just south of St. Augustine) in June from the 12th -19th (well, depending on a family situation). Would love to have you play Chamber of Commerce for us and share your knowledge of the area for us newbies there. The rookery you all went to is definitely something we'd like to see (I've emailed Harry B as well). We may have our grandson with us, so we might be looking for things a 4 1/2 year old would enjoy doing as well.

Really enjoyed reading about your outting with fellow Dgrinners. It's such a treat to do things like that (we just met up with a group of Dgrinners in Yosemite...what wondeful time we had there, despite a bit of rain and my coming down with a yucky cold). There's nothing quite like sharing a time of serious photography with others of the same mindset, is there? Sounds like you guys had quite a full day of it! I'm really looking forward to going to the rookery you all went to, and hopefully we'll get to meet up with some fellow Dgrinners there in Florida as well!

Cheers!
    ~Nee :)
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    Thank you! Everyone as been so kind to me, relying to my first post. I want to be able to return the favor - Show my appreciation of other Dgrinner's wonderful photography in their threads.

Gayle
    bfjr wrote:
    May I help?
    Just delete the tags and the text between them.
  • Options
    huskey8huskey8 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2005
    Great Job
    Hi Gayle

It was so nice meeting you the other day I dont know why you waited so long to post you are good I hope we get a chance to shoot together soon.

Richard
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Hi Gayle
    gaylenick wrote:
    Hello everyone!

With any luck, I am going to try to post two pictures from yesterday...Here goes.

1.) Harry, Trish and Kerwin - where's Richard?
    2.) Snow Egret Showing Off

Harry, Trish, Kerwin and Richard - I enjoyed meeting you yesterday. If anyone from DGrin needs information on St. Augustine. Just let me know. I love playing Chamber of Commerce for our beautiful little city.

Gayle
    Nice to see you on board clap.gif so you've had the pleasure of shooting with Harry hu :D and shoot some birds too......wow you scored really well rolleyes1.gif

The bird in your photo looks like it's dancing, they are so pretty those Snow Egrets.....hmmmmmmm wonder if me Sparrows can do that neat trick and throw their heads back like that ne_nau.gif they'd probably fall off the fence hu :D

Thanks for sharing.......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    wave.gif lovely shots gayle and welcome to dgrin!
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2005
    Thank You
    Sorry, you missed the group shot. It was nice meeting you too. Now that I have figured out how to post - who knows why I waited. Thank you, Harry, Trish and Kirwin for nudging me on.

Gayle
    huskey8 wrote:
    Hi Gayle

It was so nice meeting you the other day I dont know why you waited so long to post you are good I hope we get a chance to shoot together soon.

Richard
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2005
    Thank you for the welcome. Meeting Harry, Trish, Kirwin and Richard was definitely a treat.
    The bird in the picture is my special egret. He stays close to the board walk and puts on a show for everyone. He is not really to worried about people or cameras - sometimes just curious. So far i have never seen a sparrow as friendly as this egret.
    Thank you again for the welcome.

Gayle
    Skippy wrote:
    Nice to see you on board clap.gif so you've had the pleasure of shooting with Harry hu :D and shoot some birds too......wow you scored really well rolleyes1.gif

The bird in your photo looks like it's dancing, they are so pretty those Snow Egrets.....hmmmmmmm wonder if me Sparrows can do that neat trick and throw their heads back like that ne_nau.gif they'd probably fall off the fence hu :D

Thanks for sharing.......... Skippy (Australia)
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2005
    Thank you for the welcome...and the compliment on my egret. It means alot.

Gayle
    andy wrote:
    wave.gif lovely shots gayle and welcome to dgrin!