Options

I need advice... Concert Coverage

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited February 22, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Ok, so I got a phone call last night from a fellow photographer saying he might have a gig for me. Unfortunately I was sleeping because it was midnight. But he left a voice mail!

Its March 20th (I think), and there's 12 bands that are going to play there.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to cover all 12 bands, or if they just want me to do the one band (the band that contacted my friend).

Anyways, I guess they want a preshoot so that they can have some pictures for t-shirts, posters etc... and they also want me to cover the concert.

I have not talked to the band that contacted my friend, nor am I guaranteed this gig, its just a possibility.

So, this is what I need help with.
1. What should I charge if its just the one band, or if its all 12 (give me something for both scenarios)

2. Will my 17-50mm f/2.8 lens work alright for low light concert work, or should I try to get a better lens (70-200mm f/2.8 IS would be amazing, but out of budget unless someone wants to give me a good deal on one [meaning under $300 which isn't going to happen, but hey! I can dream too!:D])

3. I've never covered a concert before, so what are some rules/guidelines to follow, such as, should I be on stage taking pictures, off to the sides "backstage" or down in the mosh pit in the 2 foot gap between fighting people and the stage. Flash, no flash (I'm going to just assume no flash).

4.For the preshoot, does anyone have some poses/ideas for bands. I've never shot a band before. I only shoot people (lol I laugh everytime I say that). I'm assuming low key mostly.

The band that contacted my friend is young... college aged people, and they dont have a TON of money. So I'm trying to get an idea of what to quote them, when/if they do call/email me.

I'll post back with more details when I get more details, this is all I know as of right now.

sorry this got a little long, if you read this far... Thanks!
Jer

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=120688
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=121663
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=112528&highlight=camera+concert
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=121682

That's just for starters from current threads that I've been reading/posting to (in a similar situation for a March gig) - there's TONS about concert photography that I've seen just in the few months I've been posting here, so get busy with that search function!! :D You may also want to check in the camera subforum on Taperssection where there's usually disucssions about concert photography going on (use the search function first - those guys are awesome, but only if you do your own work first - if they think you're just being lazy and haven't bothered to do the legwork through the archive, they'll smack you from here to Sunday before helping you out:D)

FWIW, I would rent a fast long lens if you think you'll need the extra reach. (And didn't you say you were allowed to borrow from your employer?). Those fast, big boys are COSTLY, and since you're fighting pennies, shelling out a grand or more on a lens probably isn't the way to go just now.... If the venue is smaller, I suspect your 17-50 and 50 1.8 will probably be enough anyway.

HTH!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    For concerts I carry 2 bodies with lenses attached......a 24-70f2.8 for standard shooting and a 70-210 (newer models are 200) f2.8 for those really tight gripping emotional facial expression.......

{This link takes you to my port, the top 3 pics were shot with film and a 70-210f2.8 sigma lens, camera boies would have been Minolta on the blk/wht and the color ones a Nikon f70.....the next 2 dance shots are with KM7D+sigma 70-210f2.8: http://www.artscottfotografie.com/gallery/1045499_koLGH#P-2-15 }

...as to where to shoot from.....that depends on the artist and the promoter......if the artist(s) are wiling to give an all access pass then by all means use it be on stage, stage left and rightshoot from behind the drummer to get his action also.....BUT TALK OVER YOUR STRATEGY WITH THE BAND BEFORE HAND SO THERE ARE NO SURPRISES TO THEM AND THEY DON'T GET YOU BLK LISTED........if you don't get an all access pass then do your best fromin front of the stage between stage and cattle guard but do not lean on the cattle guard.......also if you gettaht all access pass and you are on stage especially if you are out front, alwasy remeber where the edge is.......I literally back off a stage while shooting Charlie DAniels.....beleive me there is no feeling like falling straight backward off a stage and then have the performer looking at you aksing if you are all right.....embarrassing as hell it is.....but he never missed a note on his fiddle and I kept shooting.....the stage was indoors anda short fall of only 30 inches....but it was the longest 30"of my life.........the fall was actually caused because a shor stack of speakers had been moved by 3 feet by a p.o.'ed security guard taht had been embarrassed when he had to carry me back to the stage he had removed me from while shooting another band 2 nights before........

Goode Luck.....most of the time you need to make contact with bands, mangement and PR people no less than 30 days to the event.....so be applogetic as hell, but don't sound desparate or like your begging.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Earplugs!
    I recommend ear plugs, even if you like the music. The levels of monitors and the area you are working in can actually fatigue you quicker than expected. To say nothing of hearing loss issues. They don't have to be really expensive ear plugs, I buy in bulk for work and have found that Howard Leigh fits me best, but you may want to go to your local pharmacy and pickup a few different types and see which ones work for you.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2009
    Thanks, I had a huge feeling that you two would reply. And I'm really glad you did. Cause I know that both of you have experience in concert photography.

Diva, unfortunately the 70-200 f/2.8 that we have at my work isn't owned by the owner personally. So, we're not allowed to borrow it. :( and I dont think there's any camera rental shops in town. so I might have to rent from someone over the internet... Isn't there someone on Dgrin that runs a camera rental service?

Art, I might think about getting another body. My employer does have a XSI that we can borrow, so I might do that, and use my 75-300mm, although that's gonna be really bad for low light.

The band isn't a professional band, so I wont be dealing with managers or PR people or anything like that. And I dont even know how to contact this band, but my friend said that they might email me today. Hopefully they do!

Brad: good suggestion on the earplugs. I'm already hard of hearing... which isn't good at my age. I used to be a big subwoofer kinda guy, but I sold that car and the soundsystem with it, and now I dont get migraines on a daily basis anymore... hmmm I wonder what caused them?? :D So, preventing more hearing problems is a Plus!
    Jer
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Jeremy,

There is another discussion about low light shooting over in the technique forum. "using an ND filter for theater.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Jeremy,

There is another discussion about low light shooting over in the technique forum. "using an ND filter for theater.

Sam

Yeah, I've been reading that thread. Thanks for pointing it out though!
    Jer
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    even tho I own fast glass I donot like to shoot at f2.8......I really prefer to shoot between f5.6 and 8 if I can.....even if it means ISO's of 800-1600 or 3200 as a last ditch effort........gota love the mosh pit shooting:D

How ever it goes try to secure yourself the rights for any use you might deem possible to futher your goals as photog......{owning copyrights doesn't necessarily give you the right to do with as you please} & {not being an attorney I could be wrong.....but it will cover your A** just in case} ......including but not limited the publication of these photos to market yourself, & sales of photos to offset maybe not getting paid for the gig.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website