Options

Tamron 300mm f2.8 MF...

SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
edited May 14, 2005 in Cameras

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 11, 2005
    Moved this into the Serious amateur and pro camera thread.

To answer part of your question, would you be satisfied with MF? Nothing wrong
    with MF but shooting sports will likely mean a lot of missed shots until you
    get comfortable with the focus.

The wear you see could be from being carried around in a bag with other
    items rubbing against it. Showing wear like that would make me wonder
    what kind of overall treatment the lens received.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    For an off-brand 300/2.8, the Tamron is the best in my opinion.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 11, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Found an older MF prime 300mm f2.8 Tamron lens with a Nikon Adaptall mount sitting at a pawn shop. I took a few shots with it and looks to have clean glass. I did look closely at the glass for any hazing, fungus or other problems... and didn't see any issues. The outside is nicked and quite a bit or brassing... It does have the case, hood and both caps. I'll be going back to take some shots of the lens and another eval.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this lens?
    What would you shoot with this? (it's MF... umph.gif)
    Anything else I should look for on this lens?
    Any thoughts what it might be worth?

TIA...
    Not only is this lens Manual Focus - With an Adaptal mount, it is probably also manual aperature - If it is, this means you will have to manually stop down to the taking aperature after focusing with the lens aperature wide open. This many be ok for landscapes or astrophotography - but will not be satisfactory for sports or other high speed shooting. I would not pay much for this lens at all, unless you have a specific need that it will fit. JMO - YMMVxzicon_smile_cool.gifxzicon_smile_cool.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    Pathfinder, you are thinking of a "preset" lens. The adaptall mount is custom for your camera. Some cameras have no aperture lever (EOS) and thus may be in the preset category. Others (Nikon) still have the level. The good thing about a 2.8 lens is shooting it wide open anyway.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 12, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Pathfinder, you are thinking of a "preset" lens. The adaptall mount is custom for your camera. Some cameras have no aperture lever (EOS) and thus may be in the preset category. Others (Nikon) still have the level. The good thing about a 2.8 lens is shooting it wide open anyway.
    So - the Nikon adaptal mount will trigger the lens to stop down automatically?? That would make the lens far more appealing.

The problem with manual focusing for most digital SLRs, is that their viewfinders tend to be dark compared to older manual focusing SLRs, and they usually have no split image range-finders to help with manual focusing.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    How much were they asking for the lens?
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    $300-$350???

SNAG IT!!!

If you do not want it, and it is clean, I will take it!!!

I AM SERIOUS. I will paypal you the bucks tonight.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    They're still on the fence about a final price. But hem-hawin' somewhere around 300-350.
    It's a pawn shop. The lens is beat up. Offer them $275 and see what
    happens.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    If they want $300, they gave no more than $150 for it. I have seen plenty of pawn shop deals, they do not always know cameras. Once I missed out on a $45 rangefinder when the SLR was the all the rage...it was a Leica M2R.

If you offer them $250, HAVE IT IN YOUR HAND, EXTENDED. That way they can take it or leave it. Numbers off the tongue don't talk as loud as green in the hand.

Does it look like this?

http://www.benhorne.com/photos/ebay/300B/5.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    I'll check back now and then to see if you got any more info on the lens. Can you see if it is an AI version? Look for the little extra tab on the back rim side of the aperture ring. I'm not familiar with lenses older than this one.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    So - the Nikon adaptal mount will trigger the lens to stop down automatically?? That would make the lens far more appealing.

The problem with manual focusing for most digital SLRs, is that their viewfinders tend to be dark compared to older manual focusing SLRs, and they usually have no split image range-finders to help with manual focusing.
    Someone else may correct me but I'm not sure the adaptall mount will correctly set the aperatures on a modern DSLR. I'm not sure the electronic connections are there. I used to sell these lenses and the connections were mechanical if I'm correct. I know my Nikon D70 is specific about only the more modern lenses working in automatic exposure mode.

???
    ne_nau.gif

Here's a link to a forum that seems to follow this same line of thought - click here
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    If you remove the lens from your camera, look into the mirror box on the lens and fire a frame off, you will see the mirror flip up and down...and maybe something else. If a lever moves, and it has a piece sticking into a spot on the back of the lens, it is most likely an aperture control.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Can you set it to f/2.8 (wide open) and use aperture priority then? I'm actually thinking of using it on my F5. :D
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    So did you buy it? I have never seen a white Tamron lens!
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    The dust appears to be in the camera...Can you set the lens on a tripod and point it skyward and take a picture, then put on another lens and shoot the sky again? Assuming a clear sky, the pictures should appear exactly the same.

Shooting film may be another method to inspect closer. Did you get to haggle on the price at all? Did they give you a solid number?
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    I love to use humor. If he says "I'd like to see $500." I'd reply with "I'd lke to see Britney Spears in my bed but that ain't happenin'."

It is hard to tell about the dust at a certain focal length. Having another camera would sure let you know about that.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    You can say "$300 is my max" then toss down six $50 bills. If they say, "Well, we don't think that's a good price" then you can say, "You know, I don't like $300 either."

Then pick up one of the 50's. See if they quit while they are ahead. :>
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    thumb.gif 50's eh? Not 20's? Not enough pressure with 20's? ne_nau.gif I like the way you think. So, you want to take a road trip to CO? I'll let you buy my new lens with my money... :D

OH, one last thing to mention... it was noticed that two of the screw heads were stripped. There are 4 around the lens at this point. So it appears that someone tried to get into the lens at one point. The screw is visable in this PIC... So, is this a deal breaker?
    I don't know that it's a deal breaker but I'd lop $100 off that price and
    tell 'em that the lens looks like it's been opened up by an amateur. No
    telling if it will fail or not. That could well be how the hair and other crap
    got in there (take a copy of the photo).

ian
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2005
    Well you can have $20s and pull them up too. thumb.gif

As for striped screws, it shows someone who is not a professional got into it. But I got into my lenses at one time, the MF ones are not that complicated. You can call Tamron in the morning, give them the model and serial of the lens and ask how much for a once over. If they say $200 then use that in your argument with the pawn shop. You do not want to go back too many times because then they know that you are going to bite at any price.

Do you have friends who usually dress nice? Give one of them $5 to go into the pawn shop and inquire about the lens price. WHATEVER price they say, your friend should giggle and make a comment about Neiman Marcus getting in the pawn shop business, then leave without another word. Then you should go back within the hour and snag it!

Of course if I was in CO I would be there so fast, it sounds like fun!

We can go halves on the lens, I get it in the summer and you get it in the winter. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    Awwright Seymore!!! Money talks! Keep your eye out for other glass like that for the rest of us! :D

The best deal I ever nabbed in a pawn shop was a 110 camera for $20. The guy figured that was good for a 110 back around 1990. It was a Pentax 110 SLR with 3 lenses, fash, and winder! The winder was dead because of battery corrosion, but I disassembled it and replaced the dead parts myself, then had a great little 110 system for a bit.

I only wish dgrin was around back then so I could have shared the camera with others when I was done with it.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    Most the deals I hear about are not grabbed by folks I necessarily like. My worst enemies brag about deals they got. I am glad that is turning around! Pawn shops around here think that any SLR is worth $500, even a Pentax K1000 with no advance lever.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    Oh I was referring to out here in CA only. Dgrinners excepted of course! thumb.gif