Options

ways to carry around flash brackets and other flash accessories?

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in Accessories
Right now I've a cardboard box inside of a smaller duffle bag (the box open on the top) that I put the flash bracket in along with the two flash difussers I use.

However, it just seems like there HAS to be a better way to do this!

anyone? :dunno :scratch
//Leah

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited February 24, 2009
    I just use a rolling tote that has 2 flash brackets, an assortment of smaller umbrellas, extension cords, extra off-camera cords, power strips, sometimes the monolights, etc.

Not that well organized but it's all there. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I just use a rolling tote that has 2 flash brackets, an assortment of smaller umbrellas, extension cords, extra off-camera cords, power strips, sometimes the monolights, etc.

Not that well organized but it's all there. thumb.gif

I was considering that -- do you use like a smaller carry one sized suitcase tote? or a dufflebag type tote that has wheels?

I don't have much. YET. After Nik's workshop, I'll invest in the AB's I want along with various accessories, so who only knows what I'll end up with. :ivar
    //Leah
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    My flash bracket is situated in between the outer flap and the cameras, protected by an inner lining of my LowePro BackPack..........when the funds are available....I will bemoving to a Pelican Style case with wheels for events like weddings and out portraiture........prob a 3 layer box (one of the larger sizes).................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    My flash bracket is situated in between the outer flap and the cameras, protected by an inner lining of my LowePro BackPack..........when the funds are available....I will bemoving to a Pelican Style case with wheels for events like weddings and out portraiture........prob a 3 layer box (one of the larger sizes).................

I'd love a professional looking Pelican case for this :) for now though, I'm not into weddings enough (although dying to get into more 2nd shooter positions!) to justify such an expense. I've also though about a cheaper but hard-sided suitcase w/ wheels.

Biggest 'problem' is that my current flash bracket (and no plans on replacing it! love it) is NOT the sort to slip into any sort of 'flat' space. It definitely requires three dimensions. Then the gary fong light spheres and whale tale aren't exactly collapsable either.

Then let's not forget that I have to stash that 'light on a stick' somewhere too!

Pttph, the 'gear' bags for this entire operation are growing exponentially!! rolleyes1.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    I've also though about a cheaper but hard-sided suitcase w/ wheels.

picked mine up at Salvation Army....$3.50.....will hold 4 studio strobes, lightstands, ext. cords, umbrellas, extra modeling lamps, gels and frames and more stuff as I need it.

Biggest 'problem' is that my current flash bracket (and no plans on replacing it! love it) is NOT the sort to slip into any sort of 'flat' space.

What bracket do you have??

It definitely requires three dimensions. Then the gary fong light spheres and whale tale aren't exactly collapsable either.

I tried the fong style and decided my Lumiquest Softbox best suit my needs....asit does collapse flat and works with all of my different types of hotshoe or handle mount flash units....................

Then let's not forget that I have to stash that 'light on a stick' somewhere too!

Pttph, the 'gear' bags for this entire operation are growing exponentially!! rolleyes1.gif

Oh yes they do.....

replies above in bold
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    replies above in bold

Flash bracket is the bigger Custom Bracket job. I might take off the 'support' base (since I've heard it doesn't work if you have a bigger lens on the camera) since it seems rather intrusive. That'll help a lot, packing wise.

You can't see it very well, but under the handle at the base/corner of the _| is a piece that comes towards you (viewer) and away.

CB1015_cb_qrsh2.jpg
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    Flash bracket is the bigger Custom Bracket job. I might take off the 'support' base (since I've heard it doesn't work if you have a bigger lens on the camera) since it seems rather intrusive. That'll help a lot, packing wise.

You can't see it very well, but under the handle at the base/corner of the _| is a piece that comes towards you (viewer) and away.

CB1015_cb_qrsh2.jpg

Very well educateed about the Custom Pro brackets....this looks like a PRO-M.....which will be my next bracket....right now I use 2 Stroboframes.....but it is time to retire the old and get some new for tax purposes:D
    I have yet to put a Pro-M on my cam with 70-210 on it to see how it works, but as soon as the local shop gets one in I will try it........:D

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    You might want to look into the Pelican 1510 carryon case. It is nice size, has wheels but can also be carried by the handle easily. It is also relatively inexpensive as far as large hard cases and is very sturdy (I use mine as a step stool sometimes too).
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    You might want to look into the Pelican 1510 carryon case. It is nice size, has wheels but can also be carried by the handle easily. It is also relatively inexpensive as far as large hard cases and is very sturdy (I use mine as a step stool sometimes too).

Ooo nifty! will definitely look into that :)

*goes off to google*
    //Leah
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    Ooo nifty! will definitely look into that :)

*goes off to google*
    I have the 1510 - it's the largest that is still "legal" as airline carry-on. Take it from one who's been there, if you get one of these, skip the pluck-foam - get the dividers. You end up with a LOT more space and the equipment is just as well (or better) protected.

I can fit two 50D (gripped), 5 lenses (one being the 70-200 f/2.8L IS), two 580EX, two brackets (but I use the Newton Di100FR2 Flash Rotator, which folds flat), batteries, cards, antacids:D, cords, and a bunch of other stuff. When I get done, the case weighs in at about 45 pounds, gross.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    I have the 1510 - it's the largest that is still "legal" as airline carry-on. Take it from one who's been there, if you get one of these, skip the pluck-foam - get the dividers. You end up with a LOT more space and the equipment is just as well (or better) protected.

I can fit two 50D (gripped), 5 lenses (one being the 70-200 f/2.8L IS), two 580EX, two brackets (but I use the Newton Di100FR2 Flash Rotator, which folds flat), batteries, cards, antacids:D, cords, and a bunch of other stuff. When I get done, the case weighs in at about 45 pounds, gross.

Yup, Adorama has one for $127 w/out the foam and I figure I have enough foam and other stuff to 'pad' as needed. I might do this before Nik's Posing the light workshop, or anything else. Good to know I don't always have to lug around an overstuffed backpack of equipment --- and threaten the airline with bodily harm if they try to force me to check it at the airplane (as they do with lots of the commuter planes). With a 1510, I can let them check it and not have a heart attack. rolleyes1.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    Yup, Adorama has one for $127 w/out the foam and I figure I have enough foam and other stuff to 'pad' as needed. I might do this before Nik's Posing the light workshop, or anything else. Good to know I don't always have to lug around an overstuffed backpack of equipment --- and threaten the airline with bodily harm if they try to force me to check it at the airplane (as they do with lots of the commuter planes). With a 1510, I can let them check it and not have a heart attack. rolleyes1.gif

I still worry about checking, but I'm parnoid. At least you'll know it is well protected. Heck, even with the 1510 as a carryon i still put 2 locks on it - now that's paranoid.

I agree comepletely that the foam is bad for this instance - i got mine with foam and while it worked well to hold my gear and i felt is it was protected, i didn't fit anywhere near what is possible with the dividers. I only got body and 5 lenses & TC, flash and everything else went into my "personal item" bag. Actually i just ordered the divider set which was about $80, live and learn.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    I still worry about checking, but I'm parnoid. At least you'll know it is well protected. Heck, even with the 1510 as a carryon i still put 2 locks on it - now that's paranoid.

I agree comepletely that the foam is bad for this instance - i got mine with foam and while it worked well to hold my gear and i felt is it was protected, i didn't fit anywhere near what is possible with the dividers. I only got body and 5 lenses & TC, flash and everything else went into my "personal item" bag. Actually i just ordered the divider set which was about $80, live and learn.

I definitely wouldn't check it, but lots of the commuter (4 seats across) planes require these roller bags to be plane-side checked. Those I'd trust since you can actually SEE them handle it and put it right into the plane and then hand it back to you :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    I definitely wouldn't check it, but lots of the commuter (4 seats across) planes require these roller bags to be plane-side checked. Those I'd trust since you can actually SEE them handle it and put it right into the plane and then hand it back to you :)

Oh yeah, the smaller planes. I was thinking of the big ones (I fly Southwest unless I can't). :D I have been on a small plane when I was 13 and I found all the workers for it were way nicer to me and my luggage then on the big planes where I'm just a name on a bag tag.
    ~ Lisa