Options

Searching for photo by original filename?

agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in SmugMug Support
1. Is there any way to search for an uploaded photo by its original filename? Or by part of its filename?

2. When I search for a term such as "al gallia", many photos come up that do not have that specific text in description, keywords, or captions. Why?

Probably a simple answer...I hope. :dunno
Acadiana Al
Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
Blog: Journey to the Light
"Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    1. Is there any way to search for an uploaded photo by its original filename? Or by part of its filename?
    If that filename is a keyword, yes.

2. When I search for a term such as "al gallia", many photos come up that do not have that specific text in description, keywords, or captions. Why?

As always, Al, specific, direct examples will help us help you :D
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2009
    Clarifications
    Andy wrote:
    If that filename is a keyword, yes.

As always, Al, specific, direct examples will help us help you :D
    Good afternoon, Andy.

1. No, filename is not a keyword. Is there any way to include filenames automatically as keywords when uploaded?

2. Went to my homepage top search box, which I understand searches my Smugmug site, typed in "al gallia". Got 0 matching Keywords (agree), 30 matching Galleries, and 1000+ matching photos (agree-in captions). My question is about the matching galleries...except for one or two, I couldn't find exact text "al gallia" in descriptions or captions. Why were these galleries selected? :confused
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    Good afternoon, Andy.

1. No, filename is not a keyword. Is there any way to include filenames automatically as keywords when uploaded?

2. Went to my homepage top search box, which I understand searches my Smugmug site, typed in "al gallia". Got 0 matching Keywords (agree), 30 matching Galleries, and 1000+ matching photos (agree-in captions). My question is about the matching galleries...except for one or two, I couldn't find exact text "al gallia" in descriptions or captions. Why were these galleries selected? :confused
    1. Only words are taken from the filename. Very common words like photo or picture are filtered out.
    You should see them in the keyword box for the photo. If you have further give us a link to a specific photo so that we can take a look at it.

2. We need a link to any of the galleries that were found so that we can take a look.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    1. Only words are taken from the filename. Very common words like photo or picture are filtered out.
    You should see them in the keyword box for the photo. If you have further give us a link to a specific photo so that we can take a look at it.

2. We need a link to any of the galleries that were found so that we can take a look.

Sebastian

I have an idea! Why not make filenames searchable? Then you don't have to worry about filtering out some junk from filenames in order to capture the other junk from filenames?

Turning parts of filenames into keywords pollutes your database. A while back I did a search for "wheelchair." Somebody had posted a ton of pictures of the construction of a wheelchair ramp, as well as other stuff going on that day. All those pictures were tagged with "wheelchair" and "ramp" presumably because the filenames had "wheelchair ramp" in them. There were no wheelchairs in any of the pictures, and not even a wheelchair ramp in many of them. It's just one example. I'm sure there are thousands more.

On the other hand, I'll occasionally get an email from someone asking about a picture. They might use the original filename, since it's a nice point of reference. Any idea how hard it is to track down the file they're talking about? Why not make filenames searchable? Is that a planned feature?

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009

Sebastian
    Thanks for reply. The only real question I still have is about this gallery. Why was it included in results of my homepage search for "al gallia"?
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    Thanks for reply. The only real question I still have is about this gallery. Why was it included in results of my homepage search for "al gallia"?
    My guess: Gallia is included in the gallery description ("Email Bobbie Gallia") and 'al' was ignored because of it just having two letters.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    pilotdave wrote:
    I have an idea! Why not make filenames searchable? Then you don't have to worry about filtering out some junk from filenames in order to capture the other junk from filenames?
    Hi Dave,

Would you mind adding your idea to our Feature Request thread so that we can keep track of it easily?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    My guess: Gallia is included in the gallery description ("Email Bobbie Gallia") and 'al' was ignored because of it just having two letters.

Sebastian
    Thanks. Weird headscratch.gif. I thought the search would look for the exact "xx xxxx" string? What are the search parameters?
    Acadiana Al