Options

Sigma 10-20mm vs my 17-40 f4L

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited February 28, 2009 in Cameras
:scratch:scratch

I have 17-40 f4L and i love every inch of it. I have few interior photo projects in my hands, did few with 17-40 and client loved my work and they are flying me to other cities of Pakistan for projects. I was thinking to add 10-20mm for such shoots before they ask me to go even wide.

Is Sigma 10-20mm good lens for architecture, interiors ? What about color contrast compared to canon L ?
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited February 25, 2009
    headscratch.gifscratch

I have 17-40 f4L and i love every inch of it. I have few interior photo projects in my hands, did few with 17-40 and client loved my work and they are flying me to other cities of Pakistan for projects. I was thinking to add 10-20mm for such shoots before they ask me to go even wide.

Is Sigma 10-20mm good lens for architecture, interiors ? What about color contrast compared to canon L ?

First, congratulations on your success with the EF 17-40mm, f4L USM. It is wonderful that a client is so pleased that they are contracting you to do more. thumb.gifclap

My experience with the 10-20mm, F4-5.6 EX DC HSM is that is a very competent super-wide zoom lens, but not Canon "L" quality by any means. Best results by using the lens at f5.6-f8 at all focal lengths.

It is a very nice lens for interior and exterior architechture and vista landscapes. The HSM autofocus is fast and accurate.

Better yet is the Tokina AT-X 11-16mm, f2.8 PRO DX. While it does not AF as quickly as the Sigma 10-20mm, it does have better corner sharpness and higher resolution at larger apertures.

Still, the Sigma does what I need it to do and I am not likely to get rid of it any time soon.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It is a very nice lens for interior and exterior architechture and vista landscapes. The HSM autofocus is fast and accurate.
    [\quote]

15524779-Ti.gif 85% of my indoor architechtural work is with the 10-20 Sigma.
    //Leah
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    headscratch.gifscratch

Congrats on the new work! The sigma is a good lens - as Ziggy mentioned it's not the optical equal of your 17-40 but it is very good. Another to consider is the Canon 10-22mm. I own that and find it to be excellent. The Sigma, Tokina, and Canon all are very good and will serve you well. For interior work, adding the super-wide FOV to your arsenal will be very useful!
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    Another to consider is the Canon 10-22mm. I own that and find it to be excellent.

I second this. I am pretty brand loyal, so tend to stick to the canon lenses. I've had it for about 2 months now, and love it. Just a great lens. Hardly took it off my camera on my 3 week trip in alaska. Used it on an architechual shoot for my work as well, documenting indoor architechture for custom home theater jobs we did. These photos can be seen here. The first 30 images are with the Canon 10-22.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    headscratch.gifscratch

Awais,

First congratulations!

Now on to business. It seems you are making a name for yourself in Pakistan. If you have clients willing to fly you around for your photography skills, I would suggest you do everything possible to deliver the highest quality images possible. Set a standard others, can't match.

Obviously this will depend on your budget, but if your trying capture the interior market I recommend a full frame camera body, and a tilt shift lens.

Right now used 5D's are running about $1350 to $1500 here in America. While that's about twice as much as the 10-22mm lens, it gives you a lot more in terms of image quality, wide angle view, and very important, backup! You really can't afford to fly around your country for clients with only one camera.

The 5D with a your 17-40 will give you the same view you have on your camera as 11mm-25mm.

My first thought would be to get a used 5D, then when possible get the tilt shift lens.

Sam
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Most would compare the wigma to the Canon 10-22, not the 17-40mm L lens.
    Here is a comparison of the wigma to the Canon 10-22.
    I personally had it and thought it was a very nice lens, especially considering the price.
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1452&fl=4
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    Thanks for detailed information...

Sam this was my idea but biggest hurdle is non other than $$$ rolleyes1.gif but i will do that soon as i get finances !

Sigma or any other ultra wide angle sounds better option at this time when i can only put photography earning into gear stuff...
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    for about the same price as the sigma the tokina 11-16mm. Rockwell just gushes about it. You lose bit of zoom but this is a pro level lens with constabt aperture 2.8

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Awais,

First congratulations!

Now on to business. It seems you are making a name for yourself in Pakistan. If you have clients willing to fly you around for your photography skills, I would suggest you do everything possible to deliver the highest quality images possible. Set a standard others, can't match.

Obviously this will depend on your budget, but if your trying capture the interior market I recommend a full frame camera body, and a tilt shift lens.

Right now used 5D's are running about $1350 to $1500 here in America. While that's about twice as much as the 10-22mm lens, it gives you a lot more in terms of image quality, wide angle view, and very important, backup! You really can't afford to fly around your country for clients with only one camera.

The 5D with a your 17-40 will give you the same view you have on your camera as 11mm-25mm.

My first thought would be to get a used 5D, then when possible get the tilt shift lens.

Sam

+1 +1 +1 ..... +1
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    +1 for the Tokina 11-16. I bought it with my 50D and adore it; it's tied with my 17-55 f/2.8 as a favorite. I love its high quality glass and the fact that it's a constant f/2.8.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Awais.....congrats on the continued success in photography......remember as your experience grows so should your prices......that said.........

Instead of purchasing another lens right now shoot small panos of 2-4 exposures and overlap them a great deal...say 50-75% so that the resulting image isn't a large pano.....also this could be an artistic use of your current set up........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Awais

I really love my Sigma 10-20. It is my go to lens when I take shots in town when traveling, and I really like it for some funky up-close shots. This Sigma is their top of the line EX, built like a tank and since it is HSM, it is quiet and fast focusing. Highly recommended ( I don't regret getting it over the Canon).

Here are some landscape shots with it:

292240649_P48VZ-M.jpg

http://digitalmason.smugmug.com/gallery/4231317_W6kQY/1/247492638_oyobi

And shots in this gallery (scroll down and look at next pages:)

http://digitalmason.smugmug.com/gallery/3910392_qK5NW
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2009
    Thanks everyone for detailed information and links !

At this time i think going for UWA lens is better option. Stitching photos is also a good option at this time. I still have few months to decide.

thumb.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    CMason,

That is a gorgeous UWA image of an arch! Which arch is that?

Wes
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    wesleyt wrote:
    CMason,

That is a gorgeous UWA image of an arch! Which arch is that?

Wes

Thanks, it is the Arc de Triumphe.
  • Options
    TunaTuna Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    I have the Sigma 10-20 in a Nikon mount and it is by far my favorite lens in my camera bag. I've taken some indoor photos in friends' houses with it and they've been absolutely amazed at the results. thumb.gif