Options

The Goalie

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited May 14, 2005 in Sports
my son, from last night. Great sunlight last night. Lousy outcome to the game. This was a save - he pushed it beyond the goal, but he let 6 others in.
21910214-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 12, 2005
    Super action Ann thumb.gifthumb.gif Nice DOF and definitely good light clap.gif It doesn't all come together like that often. Good workthumb.gif Sorry, the results weren't as good rolleyes1.gif

One comment on this shot. Maybe you could use some post processing to take down the brightness of his socks and the ball. They seem too hot (bright) to me and distract from his body and, more importantly, his face (which is also a bit bright, but I wouldn't touch it in post).

Do you know the Ctrl-Alt-~ method of adding a multiply layer to the bright spots? Basically, just hit all 3 of those keys at once and it will select the bright areas of the image. Then click on the quick mask icon, go to Img Adj > Levels. Move the lefthand slider towards the right, to at least the middle of the histogram (in this case I'd move it to the right about 3/4 of the way to the left limit) and hit OK. Then select regular mask and use Ctl-J to create a new layer. Use Multiply blending mode and adjust opacity to taste :D This works well when you have small areas that are really bright thumb.gif

A very good shot and I hope you guys get the win next time,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Nice shot, Ann. Looks painful.

Neat trick, Steve. Does the Shadows/Highlights tool do the same/similar thing?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 12, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    Nice shot, Ann. Looks painful.

Neat trick, Steve. Does the Shadows/Highlights tool do the same/similar thing?
    Tristan,
    The S/H tool is more of a global tool. You can get it to be more selective by changing the threshold (the bottom slider). But, from my experience, if you lower the threshold enough to get those really bright areas, it will also effect some of the less bright areas.

I find this little trick above (which I picked up from Fievel in the DPR Retouching Forum) is quick and fairly easy to use. Plus by moving the Levels slider, you control what brightness level(s) you're going to apply the Multiply layer to. If it doesn't look good, you can delete the layer and try again with different slider settings :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    clap.gifclap.gif annnie!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Do you know the Ctrl-Alt-~ method of adding a multiply layer to the bright spots? Basically, just hit all 3 of those keys at once and it will select the bright areas of the image. Then click on the quick mask icon, go to Img Adj > Levels. Move the lefthand slider towards the right, to at least the middle of the histogram (in this case I'd move it to the right about 3/4 of the way to the left limit) and hit OK. Then select regular mask and use Ctl-J to create a new layer. Use Multiply blending mode and adjust opacity to taste :D This works well when you have small areas that are really bright thumb.gif

Steve

Oooh, good tip!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Super action Ann thumb.gifthumb.gif Nice DOF and definitely good light clap.gif It doesn't all come together like that often. Good workthumb.gif Sorry, the results weren't as good rolleyes1.gif

One comment on this shot. Maybe you could use some post processing to take down the brightness of his socks and the ball. They seem too hot (bright) to me and distract from his body and, more importantly, his face (which is also a bit bright, but I wouldn't touch it in post).

Do you know the Ctrl-Alt-~ method of adding a multiply layer to the bright spots?
    Steve
    Great feedback, Steve.
    Of course, I am one of those weirdo's that use PSP instead of Photoshop. I will see if I can find a comparable method.
    On this shot, I played with the curves function and saturation a bit. I think the ball and socks are blown too, but checked with the eye dropper and they are reading about 238 across.
    I have to tell you that I've been struggling with the lcd vs. histogram. (Remember the 707 where the lcd was true!!!!). Basically the lcd will look very good on an underexposed shot. I try to 'expose to the right' but it is difficult to ignore that lcd.....Anyway, last night I trusted the histogram even though my shots were looking completely blown on the lcd. And guess what - they are mostly quite nicely exposed, white socks not withstanding.

Thanks

ann
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    It's the lens!!!!!!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :curtsey
    andy wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gif annnie!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 14, 2005
    Very nice catch there Ann!

Did you notice the 5 officials in the background? Nicely spaced out too :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    Thanks, Ian. Those are actually players on the sideline of another game - unfortunately for them, their club colors are yellow and black!

ann
    ian408 wrote:
    Very nice catch there Ann!

Did you notice the 5 officials in the background? Nicely spaced out too :D

Ian
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 14, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Thanks, Ian. Those are actually players on the sideline of another game - unfortunately for them, their club colors are yellow and black!

ann
    That's funny...I bet teams they play get confused from time to time.
    Hopefully, their jerseys aren't striped :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?