Options

L bracket &/or Grip:why??

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 14, 2005 in Accessories
L Bracket and Grip: I have the sites, thanks to sid, from which I could order them.

I am still trying to figure out what they would do FOR me. I was not on the trip to see, but I do make up shopping lists.

I use a monopod. Anything to steady it would be nice. These things seem to be mentioned with a tripod, which I do not use..........especially now that the head is missing, but it is not my type of thing anyway.

I know that some of you with monopods are ordering these things. Could you please bring me up to speed?

I also know that Andy isn't. I dont think he is.

I just want to know with me, the person on the move, away from the car, not carrying much. Or carrying way too much, depending on the fatigue level. My backpack is so heavy my husband won't carry it, even if he is there. He will not carry my tripod, but he will carry the monopod, if his fatigue level is not below that of an alert morning person. He does carry my water.

He does not hold the monopod for me. Anything that would not make it into a tripod, but would steady it, well, I am all ears. Ears don't carry much, but they can communicate with the mouth, to the fingers, order, etc...........

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    L Bracket and Grip: I have the sites, thanks to sid, from which I could order them.

I am still trying to figure out what they would do FOR me. I was not on the trip to see, but I do make up shopping lists.

I use a monopod. Anything to steady it would be nice. These things seem to be mentioned with a tripod, which I do not use..........especially now that the head is missing, but it is not my type of thing anyway.

I know that some of you with monopods are ordering these things. Could you please bring me up to speed?

I also know that Andy isn't. I dont think he is.

I just want to know with me, the person on the move, away from the car, not carrying much. Or carrying way too much, depending on the fatigue level. My backpack is so heavy my husband won't carry it, even if he is there. He will not carry my tripod, but he will carry the monopod, if his fatigue level is not below that of an alert morning person. He does carry my water.

He does not hold the monopod for me. Anything that would not make it into a tripod, but would steady it, well, I am all ears. Ears don't carry much, but they can communicate with the mouth, to the fingers, order, etc...........

ginger

how much do you shoot in portrait orientation? if a lot, then you'll benefit from either. the grip you're looking at is super, i use it. it's really easy and is good for any movement at all, not just portrait to landscape... so in that regard it's a bit more flexible than just the L bracket.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 14, 2005
    What the L bracket adds to a ball head is the ability to rotate the
    camera to portrait without changing the composition (well, only
    from landscape to portrait). You can do the same thing with a
    ball head though if the drop notch is in the wrong place, it will
    make the job a little harder because you'll have to adjust either
    the orientation of the tripod or pan the head.

The "L" bracket is simply a device to make the change from
    landscape to portrait a little easier. Do you need one? Probably
    not. Might you want one? Absolutely.

If all you use is the monopod, then don't waste your money. You'd
    be better off getting the head Andy pointed out.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    I don't shoot much in portrait orientation as that is where the "shakes" come in with the monopod. It does not support it well, for some reason. I do chance it, but it is more difficult. I would shoot more like that, if it were not so shake inducing.

The horizontal orientation just brings in the "weaving", but add the "shakes" to the "weaving", one would think I had been drinking. Not that my photos reflect that. rolleyes1.gif .

g (My big question now, it appears to be either or, but is it effective with the monopod.................everything mentions the tri-pod.) The lens I wanted is now on back order, no baptisms for awhile, I could divert. If it would make things easier for the Monopod. I use a good head of some sort, with a quick release thingy on my camera and on the lens. Usually use it with the lens, long.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I don't shoot much in portrait orientation as that is where the "shakes" come in with the monopod. It does not support it well, for some reason. I do chance it, but it is more difficult. I would shoot more like that, if it were not so shake inducing.

The horizontal orientation just brings in the "weaving", but add the "shakes" to the "weaving", one would think I had been drinking. Not that my photos reflect that. rolleyes1.gif .

g (My big question now, it appears to be either or, but is it effective with the monopod.................everything mentions the tri-pod.) The lens I wanted is now on back order, no baptisms for awhile, I could divert. If it would make things easier for the Monopod. I use a good head of some sort, with a quick release thingy on my camera and on the lens. Usually use it with the lens, long.
    Many sports shooters do not use any sort of head on the monopod. In
    my experience, the head doesn't give me any real advantage.

If you have weaving or shaking, the only way you're going to get rid of
    that is to use a tripod. A tripod offers stability.

With a monopod, I would be less likely to use anything more than a quick
    release plate.

Ian
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    It might be me and my lack of knowledge about "heads", but I can't get mine into a good portrait position at all. Maybe the grip wouldn't help me either.

I can get it hanging down, but it is not being well supported, I can't find a screw to turn to keep it where I want it. If that makes sense.

ginger

In birds, raptors, I sometimes "force" it in vertical with the monopod still on it, but the monopod becomes a hindrance, then, rather than a help. It is a 120.00 manfrotto, not cheap. Not expensive.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    It might be me and my lack of knowledge about "heads", but I can't get mine into a good portrait position at all. Maybe the grip wouldn't help me either.

I can get it hanging down, but it is not being well supported, I can't find a screw to turn to keep it where I want it. If that makes sense.

ginger

In birds, raptors, I sometimes "force" it in vertical with the monopod still on it, but the monopod becomes a hindrance, then, rather than a help. It is a 120.00 manfrotto, not cheap. Not expensive.
    What about this?

Ian