Options

Shooting Conventions - suggestions?

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited March 1, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
A smaller convention (600+ people) is occurring this fall (Vail! whee!) that I volunteered to do photography for. As a non-profit organization (them, not me) I'm donating my time as well as the photos. These will be used for media purposes as well as their website. There are, however, some issues that I can't figure out a work around for yet (the organizers are ecstatic to have good photos for once and quite willing to work with me but I want to bring good suggestions to the table as well).

They are very careful about getting permission for photographs, especially anything that might be used in a public fashion. There are essentially three groups: guest of honor (sci fi authors) and their staff, volunteers and the attendees. Attendees are limited to 600 which make things technically easier (this isn't GenCon at least, phew) and the other two groups are small enough to figure out who does and does not want photos taken.

Anyone dealt with permission on such a large scale before? I could see perhaps using an 'opt out' style for the attendees, but many will be industry professionals (other writers, editors, etc) and I can see that the organizers do not want to offend anyone. Plus, in order to properly 'opt out', I'd need a photo of the person opting out so I know to avoid them/blur them/etc in PP. Oy. Ugh.

Second would be anyone who's shot such a large event before -- tips? suggestions? I'm fairly innovative and flexible, but anything other folks can think of in advance will save me a few white hairs.

Last, credit! I'm not asking for any payment since this IS a non-profit organization and event. I do plan on pricing prints for the site but giving digital rights for free to any photos that the organization needs for their own website as well as their media packets. I don't worry about them linking back to me for the website, but how to you deal with media credit?? I guess I'm not that concerned but if there's something simple I can do to ensure proper credit, I'd like to make sure I do it. It's possible that the answer to this is that it's up to the person who puts the media packet together to properly label/stamp any photos they include. heck, I don't even know if their media packets are digital or physical form these days. I can give them stickers for the backs of any printed photos, but digital ones require watermarks (which I could make subtle enough to be easily cropped out when time for printing?). :scratch
//Leah

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Sounds like a good undertaking. I would suggest applying the watermark onto the image itself. Something small and tasteful. Most organizations will not have the time to apply stickers. More than likely they won't have the time to photoshop out watermarks either.
    On the credit side, make sure you link your site to them. Even if the link isn't both ways, it will allow other visitors to your site see who you are working with. Even if it is a protected gallery, the name recognition can be a good thing. You can also link to their website from yours.

I did some large shows a few years back, and asked permission from small groups or individuals prior to taking pics. If they said no, I thanked them and moved on. I kept a small notepad in my pocket to write down their table number so that I would bother them again.
    Work your way around the room in an orderly fashion and you will limit your odds of running into the same people over and over. If you can get an "official" helper to walk with you, it will help. Most large organizations will have a few extra volunteers at the event.
    When getting overall crowd photos, the faces are rarely picked out, so this should not be a concern.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    I suppose I should have mentioned that this is a four-day gig with multiple events and even a ballroom dance? eek7.gif Alas, if ONLY they would sit in the same places and make life easier for me rolleyes1.gif

http://www.sirensconference.org/events/ to get an idea of the afternoon and evening events going on ... everywhere. I only wish I could visit the site ahead of time, but reading through 16+ pages of the wedding forums I at least know now to get the conference center's approval too (especially for any exterior shots) and see what house rules they have thumb.gif

I did some large shows a few years back, and asked permission from small groups or individuals prior to taking pics. If they said no, I thanked them and moved on.
    I shall! I'll have to work on the polite asking permission part, but I suspect after the first day I'll loosen up a bit and get into the swing of things. Yay for multiple chances to rinse and repeat and repeat and....
    //Leah
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    I suppose I should have mentioned that this is a four-day gig with multiple events and even a ballroom dance? eek7.gif Alas, if ONLY they would sit in the same places and make life easier for me

This is quite similar to what I did. The 1st day get your individual portraits while they are somewhat stationary. Group shots and crowd shots later or on the following days and during the group activities.
    Make sure to get the key people early. They always look fresh at the beginning. The stress of an event can wear on some organizers and it shows a few hours into the event. It is often easier to pull them off to the side early on also.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2009
    This is quite similar to what I did. The 1st day get your individual portraits while they are somewhat stationary. Group shots and crowd shots later or on the following days and during the group activities.

Make sure to get the key people early. They always look fresh at the beginning. The stress of an event can wear on some organizers and it shows a few hours into the event. It is often easier to pull them off to the side early on also.

A ha, I get what you are aiming at here. And yes, *excellent* point on photos of exhausted looking folks showing up later on as the weekend goes on.

thank you kindly!! :ivar
    //Leah
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    A smaller convention (600+ people) is occurring this fall (Vail! whee!) that I volunteered to do photography for. As a non-profit organization (them, not me) I'm donating my time as well as the photos. These will be used for media purposes as well as their website. There are, however, some issues that I can't figure out a work around for yet (the organizers are ecstatic to have good photos for once and quite willing to work with me but I want to bring good suggestions to the table as well).

Since you/organizers still have time, I would recommend that the organizers let the attendees that there will be a photographer present to record the events.

What do you mean by "media purposes"??? Newspaper articles, TV reports???

If it is newspaper, the paper should give you credit on any photo published, something like this: Bob Comic, Comic Convention, courtesy of Catspaw.

Same for TV, although I highly doubt that any TV station will use any of your images... but if they do, they should also give you a "Photo courtesy of Catspaw"... something along those lines.
    catspaw wrote:
    They are very careful about getting permission for photographs, especially anything that might be used in a public fashion. There are essentially three groups: guest of honor (sci fi authors) and their staff, volunteers and the attendees. Attendees are limited to 600 which make things technically easier (this isn't GenCon at least, phew) and the other two groups are small enough to figure out who does and does not want photos taken.

In my experience, most events are careful because they don't want "someone else" making money of said event, but you are "hired" up to a certain point to take photographs of this event by the organizers. You should be pretty free to take photographs of anyone...

Group one - the guests of honor will probably be doing Q&A sessions, which you will def. need to shoot. I am sure that if anyone is totally paranoid, they will let you know from the start, but most will be pretty used to having an event photographer take their picture in situations like this.

The other two groups should not be that much of a problem, as you will probably try to stop them to ask if you can take their picute, pose them and then ask for their names so that you know who is who when you are back doing post.
    catspaw wrote:
    Anyone dealt with permission on such a large scale before? I could see perhaps using an 'opt out' style for the attendees, but many will be industry professionals (other writers, editors, etc) and I can see that the organizers do not want to offend anyone. Plus, in order to properly 'opt out', I'd need a photo of the person opting out so I know to avoid them/blur them/etc in PP. Oy. Ugh.

Again, if these are industry professionals, they should expect to be photographed, not paparazzi style, but still, they are in a semipublic speaking/convention environment, so I think that you should feel free to shoot until someone tells you "please don't take MY picture". It should be a lot easier to remember the face of that one person than to try and figure out who is on an opt-out list
    catspaw wrote:
    Second would be anyone who's shot such a large event
    before -- tips? suggestions? I'm fairly innovative and flexible, but anything other folks can think of in advance will save me a few white hairs.

Ask for workspace for yourself and your gear. Even a small table with two chairs in the corner of the convention area should be fine for you to sit down, relax and work on your images if you have some time in between events. Organizers and staff of the place where the convention is should be told that your table needs to be near an outlet, so that you can charge your batteries and plug in your laptop.
    catspaw wrote:
    Last, credit! I'm not asking for any payment since this IS a non-profit organization and event. I do plan on pricing prints for the site but giving digital rights for free to any photos that the organization needs for their own website as well as their media packets. I don't worry about them linking back to me for the website, but how to you deal with media credit?? I guess I'm not that concerned but if there's something simple I can do to ensure proper credit, I'd like to make sure I do it. It's possible that the answer to this is that it's up to the person who puts the media packet together to properly label/stamp any photos they include. heck, I don't even know if their media packets are digital or physical form these days. I can give them stickers for the backs of any printed photos, but digital ones require watermarks (which I could make subtle enough to be easily cropped out when time for printing?). headscratch.gif

Small but visible watermark should be fine, I think. Also, since you seem to have a good working relationship with the organizers, they should include a link to your site as a courtesy, since you are not being paid, a single url should not cost them any extra effort, and could possibly make you some extra cash if someone does want a photo of themselves at said event...

Just my two cents...
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2009
    Wow, excellent input, thank you! clap.gifclap.gif
    TexPhotog wrote:
    Since you/organizers still have time, I would recommend that the organizers let the attendees that there will be a photographer present to record the events.

I had thought of that -- It's not an order but a suggestion, so I'll see how they can handle it. They might have something similar in mind as well right now. All they are doing is accepting registrations and payments now, so there's bount to be a LOT more communication later on.
    What do you mean by "media purposes"??? Newspaper articles, TV reports???
    No idea! that was there term. Local newspapers and probably a few press packets for local stations. Possibly a bit more within the literary scene -- other websites that report on things, etc. I think the previous idea of a very discreet but informative watermark along the edge (Leah Peasley / catspawphotos.com) should cover credit as needed. I think?
    If it is newspaper, the paper should give you credit on any photo published, something like this: Bob Comic, Comic Convention, courtesy of Catspaw.
    True, but I know if they don't GET that information they default to 'anonymous', so hence trying to take an easy step ahead of time to ensure that they do get the right information.
    Same for TV, although I highly doubt that any TV station will use any of your images... but if they do, they should also give you a "Photo courtesy of Catspaw"... something along those lines.
    yeah I don't see that happening, although it could for tv's that have websites with newpaper like reports ... it's becoming more and more integrated these days. So I think I'll work with them to ID the photos for press packets and watermarket them appropriate.

mutual linking back from the conference shouldn't be a problem, although right now it's just banner swapping. Erm, which means I need a bloody banner put together. D'oh! Fortunately they seem so very excited and willing to work with me, so I'm thinking we'll figure these things out. However, now I can go in without feeling like a total newbie :)thumb.gif

thank you!!! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    The other two groups should not be that much of a problem, as you will probably try to stop them to ask if you can take their picute, pose them and then ask for their names so that you know who is who when you are back doing post.

I'm HORRIBLE at names/faces. Alas. So I'll have to get a photo of the person in question to go in my 'do not take' book (yes I have such a booklet and the poloroid printer for it)
    Ask for workspace for yourself and your gear. Even a small table with two chairs in the corner of the convention area should be fine for you to sit down, relax and work on your images if you have some time in between events. Organizers and staff of the place where the convention is should be told that your table needs to be near an outlet, so that you can charge your batteries and plug in your laptop.

Hmm, I had not thought of that!! much easier than running up to my room again and again to swap things out. I also have the complete seed Cumpler bag which can carry ... EVERYTHING. but also is likely to make me fall over when totally loaded, messenger bag support or not. I'd still be worried about the security of that much equipment laying around ... say the least I'll have insurance by then. Already got a backup body (D300) since I've a wedding to do the week before as well.

whee!? :D

Small but visible watermark should be fine, I think. Also, since you seem to have a good working relationship with the organizers, they should include a link to your site as a courtesy, since you are not being paid, a single url should not cost them any extra effort, and could possibly make you some extra cash if someone does want a photo of themselves at said event.....

*nodsnods* I plan on doing photos of the autograph sessions in the evenings, and suspect that folks will want photos of some of their favorite authors (Tamora Pierce is pretty big in the fantasy world). Minimal charge (for a print) since I'm there as much for ME, just combining with the ability to totally indulge my own geekery. :D I know this 'devalues' my own worth, but this will also be a LARGE part of my own portfolio to prove I can shoot other events like this. There's major conventions nearly every week at the expo center a mile from here ... next is to get into shooting those and seeing what I can turn this into ;)
    //Leah
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    *nodsnods* I plan on doing photos of the autograph sessions in the evenings, and suspect that folks will want photos of some of their favorite authors (Tamora Pierce is pretty big in the fantasy world). Minimal charge (for a print) since I'm there as much for ME, just combining with the ability to totally indulge my own geekery. :D I know this 'devalues' my own worth, but this will also be a LARGE part of my own portfolio to prove I can shoot other events like this. There's major conventions nearly every week at the expo center a mile from here ... next is to get into shooting those and seeing what I can turn this into ;)

Silly question... what kind of prints are you thinking about selling???

I have an old Canon Selphy sub-dye printer that I used once at a nightclub of all places...

I shot the people coming into the nightclub and if they wanted their photo, it was $5.00 per print...

I'd give one of those little tickets that you get at a raffle to the people coming into the club... told them that the pics would be ready after midnight... I didn't spend any $$$ on the tickets, the club gave me those...

I started to shoot @ 10 when the club opened up and ended shooting right before midnight... went to my table, loaded up the photos to Picasa and renamed the photos with the first photo being the same as the first ticket that I handed out...

I knew that the ticket number and the photo number would not match... but it would make it easier to find since I was only taking up to 3 photos per ticket (closed eyes and such)...

The set up that I had was with a really old laptop, hooked up to my card reader... and an external keyboard... after midnight, when the girls (yes, mostly girls were getting them and making their boyfriends pay) came back, I'd ask for the ticket - searched the number... let them see their photos and they'd chose the one they liked... plus... if it was a group of girls... ALL of them had to have a copy... =D

I'd hit Print and a min later, they had their pic w/the club's logo at the bottom and the date on the other side... (yes... it was a special event for the club and the logo work was done before hand)

They are 4x6 prints that take about a min to print... at least on my printer... but I'm sure the newer sub-dye printers are a lot faster... and cheaper too... something else to consider...

The selphy that I have comes with 30 prints per pack, and Wal-Mart even has the 108 print pack for $30.00... 108 prints @ 5 bucks... 540 buckaroos... =D
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2009
    TexPhotog wrote:
    Silly question... what kind of prints are you thinking about selling???

Since I'll only have my slower laptop with me, any print sales are going to be through SM (hence the benefits of a Pro account! mwink.gif ) after the fact. My biggest thing will be letting people KNOW where to go, etc etc. This is primarily photography FOR the convention folks themselves as they have so little media, for my own portfolio, THEN thirdly for anyone who wants to buy prints. With a limit of 600 convension goers, I might see about making up business cards with a vanity URL just for this event. I'll see, fortunately time until then!! :D
    //Leah